1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

mcat before 3rd quarter ochem?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by emedpa, Oct 26, 2001.

1. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    do you think it is more advantageous to take the mcat in april before finishing the last quarter of ochem in order to apply to schools earlier or to wait until the august test and apply later? I have heard opinions both ways. smaller applicant pool (early) vs. better score and larger applicant pool.
    thanks-emed pa

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jean

jean Member
    7+ Year Member

I think you should take the exam in April. You can suppliment whatever information you are still deficient in with a prep book or course. It is better to apply earlier then later.

4. maphilips

maphilips Member
    7+ Year Member

I waited till after ochem 2 to take the test, but I didn't notice anything on the test from that semester. Even if there was its nothing you can't study, so definitely take it in april. So many headaches are involved in waiting for AMCAS to send your scores and what ever other unknown problems show up.
    Mark

5. Steev2000

Steev2000 Member
    10+ Year Member

I have to disagree with those posts above. Don't take it until you are ready. If you feel you are ready for the April, then by all means take it. I know of plenty of students who took the Aug. one, either for the first time or as a re-take, and were accepted. Isn't that the point, to get accepted? It doesn't matter how early you apply, if you get a 12, you won't get in. My advice, try to be ready for the April, but just take it when you are ready. Good luck and take care.

6. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with steev2000,I also think you should not take MCAT until you feel prepared. Good indicator of that will be practice tests. If you take kaplan or any other practice test you will know how you are doing. If you feel you are doing well without finishing o-chm you can go for it.On the other hand if you feel unprepared even after finishing o-chm ,you should not take it. That happened to me . I took o-chm , I took Kaplan and despite of feeling unprepared I took the test and did not do well so....