Mcat biol, chem and orgo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joeysquare

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been studying for a month to take the dat but with mcat study material from my brother. I'm only using biology, general chemistry and organic chemistry books. Is this and cracking the dat good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would do better with different resources. While the MCAT covers a lot of the same topics, the question style is a lot different and Crack DAT alone is kind of outdated imo.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been studying for a month to take the dat but with mcat study material from my brother. I'm only using biology, general chemistry and organic chemistry books. Is this and cracking the dat good enough?

i would definitely use DAT material.

biology and chemistry tested on DAT and MCAT is different. I wouldn't assume that MCAT contains all info on DAT plus more. For example, DAT bio covers plants, evolution and ecology.

look at previous breakdowns for ehst materials students have used

You should be using prep material geared specially for the DAT, likewise I would never suggest an MCAT student use DAT Prep materials.

Just my 2 cents

Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
I found it easier to understand than dat prep because it explains things more detailed and if you took your courses too many years ago (like I did) you'll find it easier to understand. I just have the dat books just for the PAT section and I do dat test intead of mcat and is working for me. I know that the mcat leans towards analytical reasoning but the information doesn't change. It is the same biol, orgo and general chemistry.

The MCAT books will teach the things you need to know for Bio, Chem, and orgo.

The questions are different, but the material is the same. MCAT Bio is built on the same material as DAT Bio. I used MCAT prep books as well and I got 22 Bio and 22 ochem.

This being said, don't put all eggs in one basket. Use other sources as well, each will help add layers to your existing knowledge but with a slightly different angle.