1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MCAT: Biological Experimental Passages

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by remedy23, Jul 29, 2015.

1. remedy23

2+ Year Member

Hi guys,

What is the best way to prepare for the Biological Experimental Passages section? Is the Khan Academy practice passages they provide on experiments?

Is there a summary of important lab techniques we should know? I haven't been exposed to many of these in my undergrad, so I am kind of struggling in this department.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OrdinaryDO

OrdinaryDO Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Everything you just asked can probably be found on the font 2 pages of this forum if you'd rather do that. Know all of the lab techniques. There is a list of what you need to know on the AAMC website.

4. El-Rami

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'll give you a few just to give you an idea:

2-phase extraction
    Sublimation for purification purposes
    TLC
    HPLC
    Mass Spectrometry
    Gas Chromatography
    Ion-Exchange Chromatography
    Size-Exclusion "" ""
    Affinity "" ""
    NMR
    UV-Vis

There's a long list, but you need to know them. You basically need to understand the lab techniques of organic chemistry, biochemistry, and molecular biology. There's a high degree of overlap, though, as many of these techniques are used in all of these disciplines.

5. OrdinaryDO

OrdinaryDO Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    SDS-PAGE, GE, PCR, Restriction Enzyme, Western Blot, etc.

6. remedy23

2+ Year Member

I'll be sure to review those lab techniques, does anyone have advice for tackling actual experimental passages? Is Khan Academy the only relevant source of these types of passages? I have a feeling this is going to be my weakest part of the MCAT, and I know some MCATs have 5 experimental bio passages in one test which makes me nervous.

Dreamstoo likes this.
  7. Neutrophil2016

Pre-Medical
    If at all possible I would recommend reading some scientific journal articles. Peer review papers are the best way to learn how to interpret data which will be your task on the majority of the exam. Most universities' lab courses expose you to these techniques but reading papers will help you learn to think like a scientist.

8. Sarahka74

2+ Year Member

Are there any you recommend in particular?

9. Neutrophil2016

Pre-Medical
    Find something that you're interested in and search through PubMed or Google Scholar. Here is a fun immuno/microbiology paper with some genetics and biochemistry techniques to get you started. It is pretty short, but if you are new to scientific papers it could be a doozy. If you decide to read it and have any questions just PM me.

Sarahka74 likes this.
  10. Shreyasthegreat

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    From the September 2015 MCAT thread...

Sarahka74 likes this.