MCAT biology question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikeshp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took AP bio junior year in high school, just finished my freshman year now, plan on taking the MCAT end of next summer and will have all of the pre-reqs. I am worried that i havent taken biology in a while, so i will need more time reviewing than the rest, so i decided i would start reviewing a bit this summer. However, I am taking molecular genetics, biochemistry, and physiology next year. from my review book, it seems as if these three will pretty much cover everything i need to know + more, except for a little bit on populations and stuff, but for the most part, is this true? should i spend this summer going over bio stuff rather than chem stuff, which i also APed out of.

ps i know some schools don't accept AP credit, but i am a biochem major and will take upper level courses, so this will not be a problem.

Members don't see this ad.

Although the classes you mentioned will help explore biological concepts, it won't cover all. I also took AP bio in high school, and it still came no where close to my undergrad freshman bio class (the exams were just like the MCAT!). I'd suggest you find a used Biology textbook somewhere and read some materials or just start studying an MCAT bio book sometime this year.

i have EK bio, and here are the chapters:

Molecular Biology/Cellular Respiration - read over EK part, not complicated
Genes - Will cover in Genetics
Microbiology - Need to read over, doesn't seem too complicated
Eukaryotic Cell/Nervous System - in physiology? if not, cell won't be too bad
Endocrine System - Physio
Digestive/Excretory System - Physio
Cardiovascular/Respiratory System - Physio
Muscle, Bone, Skin - physio? if not, don't think it will be too bad
Population - doesn't seem too bad, maybe cover a bit in genetics?

Does this seem right to anyone? am i missing something?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took AP bio junior year in high school, just finished my freshman year now, plan on taking the MCAT end of next summer and will have all of the pre-reqs. I am worried that i havent taken biology in a while, so i will need more time reviewing than the rest, so i decided i would start reviewing a bit this summer. However, I am taking molecular genetics, biochemistry, and physiology next year. from my review book, it seems as if these three will pretty much cover everything i need to know + more, except for a little bit on populations and stuff, but for the most part, is this true? should i spend this summer going over bio stuff rather than chem stuff, which i also APed out of.

ps i know some schools don't accept AP credit, but i am a biochem major and will take upper level courses, so this will not be a problem.

Yes, molecular genetics, biochem and physiology will get you more than ready for the bio. Don't spent your time reviewing it now. If you really want to get a head start, I would suggest reading heavily. The key to braking 30s and 35s with ease on the MCAT is to be good at the verbal section.

Last edited:
oh, and i should add, i think you got very lucky your bio exams were like the MCAT

i have EK bio, and here are the chapters:

Molecular Biology/Cellular Respiration - read over EK part, not complicated
Genes - Will cover in Genetics
Microbiology - Need to read over, doesn't seem too complicated
Eukaryotic Cell/Nervous System - in physiology? if not, cell won't be too bad
Endocrine System - Physio
Digestive/Excretory System - Physio
Cardiovascular/Respiratory System - Physio
Muscle, Bone, Skin - physio? if not, don't think it will be too bad
Population - doesn't seem too bad, maybe cover a bit in genetics?

Does this seem right to anyone? am i missing something?

bump..