MCAT books kaplan or examkrackers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss A

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I purchased my kaplan books for the mcat, but when I compare them to exam krackers Kaplan books look shallower and very general??!!! I have noticed that kaplan way of putting information is like a textbook where exam krackers are straight to the point and more diverse ...
I am lost... which one of these I should continue studying from.
I plan this summer to finish studying for the mcat.. but I am lost between the two and I don't want to study from the two at the same time because it would be insane. Any ideas or experiences!!!
sorry if I'm at the wrong forum, it's my first time posting

Members don't see this ad.

I preferred the kaplan books. However, I noticed that the ExamKrackers Verbal reasoning book 101 passages was much more in tune with the actual CARS section. I bought that book separately.

1. Please change your status to premed, since you're asking about preparing for the MCAT. You don't want to mislead.

2. Kaplan vs ExamKrackers is up to you. Kaplan tends to be good in biochemistry and poor in verbal/physical sciences. ExamKrackers is great for every subject but can be pretty brief, which is why you supplement EK with other resources like Khan Academy or Princeton Review in select subjects. If you're content background is strong, EK is your best bet. Otherwise go with Kaplan.

3. This thread should be in MCAT Discussion Forums, but don't crosspost since a mod will move it for you.

4. Good luck! :luck:

Thanks guys for your replies ... i will start off with kaplan and then do examkrackers... i just wasnt sure if one is right and enough .... i plan on changing my status to premed but cant do it with my cellphone at the moment. I was actually a med student at an international med school before moving to the US

Sent from my SGH-M919 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I have Kaplan and they are good books. I know u mentioned that they are very general but remember that while lots of detail is good, you also don't want to get bogged down with books that are wayyy too in depth with facts. Good luck!!

They are so detailed... I have been doing my reserach since this morning... im deciding to read kaplan, then do khan academy videos, and later by the end of summer ill open examkrackers

Sent from my SGH-M919 using SDN mobile

Any company will prepare you adequately for the new MCAT because the real determinant of your score won't be content review but rather the practice you get doing FLs. Some companies just do content review in a more roundabout way than others. I personally used only Kaplan and had no problem with them. Khan Academy videos are also very helpful for concepts that are just elusive to you on paper.

Reactions: 1 users
examcrackers may be good for practice questions. I felt they skipped around a bit where as you pointed the kaplan was more like a textbook.