MCAT Books???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pisiform

Oh Crap!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,, I am a pre-med and will be taking MCAT next year. I am wondering what books to study from and would it be worth if I take Princeton Review Course???? Let me know which books are useful ??? I really appreciate it ... Thanks alot in advance:)

Members don't see this ad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=679169

Biology: 1. EK Bio + EK 1001 Bio, non-detail oriented 1. BR (great passages, decent content review)/TPR Hyperlearning (great content review, no passages without Science Workbook), detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

Hey guys,, I am a pre-med and will be taking MCAT next year. I am wondering what books to study from and would it be worth if I take Princeton Review Course???? Let me know which books are useful ??? I really appreciate it ... Thanks alot in advance:)

I have not taken a prep course, but I have talked to a lot of people who have. They say that the primary benefit of taking a course is the DISCIPLINE - they provide you with a structured plan for study that you have to follow. This way, you are forced to stay on track and forced to study.

Also, some teachers make a big difference. If you get a good instructor, that can make a big difference, especially if the instructor is teaching the same subject that you are weak at, if there is such a subject. In order to find out more about the instructors, I would suggest that you contact the Princeton Review course office and request them to sit in on a class and see for yourself if the instructor matches your learning style. Also find out if the same instructor will teach when you take the course.

Another major benefit of taking a prep course like Kaplan is the amount of Practice material provided by the company.

However, I think that if you are motivated enough to stay on track to study for the MCAT, than all these factors do not matter as much. The books listed in the link provided by SN2ed are THE BEST MCAT PREPARATION BOOKS. And they have tons and tons of Practice material as well.

Thanks guys for your help!!! once again i really appreciate it. I have few more questions. Some people told me that Campbell can also prepare us for biology section and so right now I am studying from Campbell only :( I dont know whether its a right choice or not. And I have decided not to take the Princeton review and stuff because its too expensive for me ... My main concern is the Verbal section.And one more thing ,, how much MCAT score would I need to get into MD school (not DO). This is because I am already in a BS/DO program in Tourocom and I want to shift to an MD school after 3 yrs . Thanx guys for everything

Thanks guys for your help!!! once again i really appreciate it. I have few more questions. Some people told me that Campbell can also prepare us for biology section and so right now I am studying from Campbell only :( I dont know whether its a right choice or not. And I have decided not to take the Princeton review and stuff because its too expensive for me ... My main concern is the Verbal section.And one more thing ,, how much MCAT score would I need to get into MD school (not DO). This is because I am already in a BS/DO program in Tourocom and I want to shift to an MD school after 3 yrs . Thanx guys for everything

Please do a search...this has been answered before....

Average MCAT is around 30-31 for MD.

EK verbal is the best verbal practice....

Better check and see if there are any complications with leaving.....