Quantcast

MCAT Cancellations Due To Snow Storm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belle184

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
What is everyone doing or what have you heard regarding the MCAT that got cancelled on 1/30? I called AAMC and they will not be rescheduling a new exam and you will have to wait until March 27th to take the next one. Did anyone need that January MCAT, like me, in order to be considered for the fall of 2010? What are the plans now? There has to be something we can do if we needed that test and what about the money we paid for all the applications?! :mad:

vokey588

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I talked to AAMC today (the 202 area code number) and the MCAT candidate help line (the 1-888 line) today and they made it clear that we have no options but to take the test on the next available official testing dates. March 27th was filled at my test site so I now have to take a test on April 17th when I had originally planned to take it January 30th. This f-ing sucks.

belle184

Reaction score
This just isn't right!! What are your medical schools saying that you applied to? This storm was known a week ahead of time, they could have made adjustments or had a backup plan!

vokey588

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh, well I'm not applying for fall admission. I just had planned to get my test out of the way early in the semester so I registered for January.

Mister T

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That is so messed up guys. Maybe if a lot of people keep calling they would find a more suitable alternative.

Ha ha, you wish.

It's David versus Goliath basically and the only realistic (but unlikely) way to ever get them to budge would be a class action suit. You guys have a valid case how they ****ed up your application and didn't give you a proper chance to make it up (not your fault), but you guys probably won't seeing as you're all afraid and unorganized.

I know that if it was me, and my friends we would at least feel vindicated if we at least tried to get justice here, and that's what it really is.

I am, afterall, a member of the A-Team.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs2LxmrZHII[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

Hank04

Reaction score
I was automatically placed into the 4/10 test date because the 3/27 test date was completely full. It's a pain, but there is really nothing that can be done about it at this point.

This is considered a retake for me and I was intending to re-apply for the upcoming admissions cycle. When the AMCAS application opens this May (at least it is scheduled to open in May) do I need to wait until the new score is recieved or can I finish the application and have AMCAS update the application once it is received? I paced myself for the 1/30 test date specifically so I would have everything ready prior to the release of the AMCAS application so that's why I am asking. I am going to have all of my material prepared so my application should be ready a day or two after it's released by AMCAS - it's just this new MCAT score that is holding the entire process up.

CHUT10

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was scheduled to take my MCAT in Memphis TN on Friday Jan, 29th 2010. I was on my way out the door to take my test, when the testing center called me at 7:05 am to tell me my test was cancelled because of the weather. I couldn't even believe the guy who called me. I drove to the testing center just to make sure it was not some sort of mistake or joke. You see, the weather was fine enough for me to drive in to make sure the testing center was closed. I was given a phone number to call to reschedule my test, which I called and I was transferred from one person to the next. The Thomson Prometric people and the AAMC people couldn't give me any consistent information! I tried to have my test rescheduled to the next day in another state and they refused to move my test to that day because they said I missed the registration deadline, which was not my effing fault, since I didn't know that my other test was going to be cancelled. You would think they would make some sort of exception for people they screwed out of their test. Moving my test to the end of March totally screws me for the registration deadline I need to get into school!!!!!!!! One lady I spoke with at AAMC told me that they have no make-up days or additional testing days for the MCAT. Well, guess what???? I read the 2010 MCAT policy very thoroughly, and there is a statement on (I believe it's somewhere between pages 14-16) that states that (read the policy for exact wording), due to the swine flu outbreak the CDC has recommended that candidates who have the swine flu not take their test on the day scheduled if they are sick, and there have been additional "SPECIAL TESTING DAYS" set up for these candidates. That statement right there tells me that means that AAMC is very capable of setting up additional testing days for people they FU*KED over. I don't mean just a "special" day for me. They should reschedule an earlier testing day than March 27th for people who got screwed because of the weather cancellation. I emailed AAMC about this and they sent me back a robotic, regurgitation of the policy according to weather. I don't want some copy/paste policy email from somebody who gets paid $7.00 an hour to respond about something this important. This is my future we are talking about here. I think that we need to get SEVERAL people to email them about this issue. So, I have emailed the Director and I am waiting on a response from her. Everyone else please email AAMC and the Director (Michelle Sparacino). Her email is [email protected] and her Fax # is 202-828-4799. The more people that complain, the more likely they are to do something about this.

CHUT10

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was scheduled to take my MCAT in Memphis TN on Friday Jan, 29th 2010. I was on my way out the door to take my test, when the testing center called me at 7:05 am to tell me my test was cancelled because of the weather. I couldn't even believe the guy who called me. I drove to the testing center just to make sure it was not some sort of mistake or joke. You see, the weather was fine enough for me to drive in to make sure the testing center was closed. I was given a phone number to call to reschedule my test, which I called and I was transferred from one person to the next. The Thomson Prometric people and the AAMC people couldn't give me any consistent information! I tried to have my test rescheduled to the next day in another state and they refused to move my test to that day because they said I missed the registration deadline, which was not my effing fault, since I didn't know that my other test was going to be cancelled. You would think they would make some sort of exception for people they screwed out of their test. Moving my test to the end of March totally screws me for the registration deadline I need to get into school!!!!!!!! One lady I spoke with at AAMC told me that they have no make-up days or additional testing days for the MCAT. Well, guess what???? I read the 2010 MCAT policy very thoroughly, and there is a statement on (I believe it's somewhere between pages 14-16) that states that (read the policy for exact wording), due to the swine flu outbreak the CDC has recommended that candidates who have the swine flu not take their test on the day scheduled if they are sick, and there have been additional "SPECIAL TESTING DAYS" set up for these candidates. That statement right there tells me that means that AAMC is very capable of setting up additional testing days for people they FU*KED over. I don't mean just a "special" day for me. They should reschedule an earlier testing day than March 27th for people who got screwed because of the weather cancellation. I emailed AAMC about this and they sent me back a robotic, regurgitation of the policy according to weather. I don't want some copy/paste policy email from somebody who gets paid $7.00 an hour to respond about something this important. This is my future we are talking about here. I think that we need to get SEVERAL people to email them about this issue. So, I have emailed the Director and I am waiting on a response from her. Everyone else please email AAMC and the Director (Michelle Sparacino). Her email is [email protected] and her Fax # is 202-828-4799. The more people that complain, the more likely they are to do something about this.

Mister T

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm telling you, they won't listen. My friends have been in a similar situation before, and the only way (the College Board) budged was when the threat of a class lawsuit was filed.

They want to stamp you guys out.

And I'm not one for abusing the legal system, and this is a situation where you guys have some leverage (clarification: This isn't you guys trying to con some other party out of money that you didn't deserve).

Be informed and be proactive and don't be afraid to take action if need be. You have rights in this country contrary to what some timid folks may believe.

I mean if you think about it? What else do you have to lose?

The scorn of the AAMC? LOL! They can't touch/harm you for their unprofessionalism. Contrary to popular opinion, they are not above the standards of proper business, unless you let them them have their way with you...

Edit: And yes you'd need a lawyer to get this down the road, but I'm sure there at least 100-200 people who got screwed over no? And out of those 100-200, if you all just coordinated a little bit, PMed each other, get some phone numbers, etc. something will probably pan out. And you guys wouldn't need to pay for a lawyer as it's all contingent fees usually (if you guys win, then he gets a chunk of that money that the court/arbiter decides).

http://resources.lawinfo.com/en/Legal-FAQs/Class-Action/index.html

How are attorney`s fees paid in a class action?

Almost all class actions are brought on a contingent basis, which means that the attorneys only get paid out of any recovery amount they obtain. This system helps insure that many investors and consumers with small losses can easily afford to bring class actions to assert their rights.

Last edited: