1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MCAT CARS Practice

Discussion in 'CARS Strategy Course with Jack Westin (Sponsored)' started by Jack Westin, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Jack Westin

Jack Westin CARS Instructor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Silver Donor Bronze Donor Exhibitor 5+ Year Member

SDN
    Sponsor
    SDN
    Exhibitor
    Check out MCAT CARS Practice blog if you are preparing for the MCAT CARS section and need guidance on how to best practice. I outline what you should be doing everyday to improve as well as general guidelines to follow whenever you do an MCAT CARS passage. Feel free to subscribe to my daily MCAT CARS practice reading mailing list.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. bluepeach9

bluepeach9 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi Jack, thanks for the link! I had a quick question about practice materials…I've currently pretty much exhausted the AAMC CARS passages when practicing for my MCAT last year (I'm starting to remember the questions and answers too well). However, I am taking my MCAT again in May, and need something to practice from. Do you have any suggestions for me?

I was planning on practicing with Testing Solutions, TPR, Kaplan or EK CARS in the meantime before re-starting all the AAMC stuff again a month before my test date. Does this sound like a good plan? Which one has the closest resemblance to AAMC passages? If you know of any other company's materials that might be better, please let me know. I will also definitely use Khan Academy, but there are only ~30 passages in that, and I've already finished half :(

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  3. Jack Westin

Jack Westin CARS Instructor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Silver Donor Bronze Donor Exhibitor 5+ Year Member

SDN
    Sponsor
    SDN
    Exhibitor
    @bluepeach9 when it comes to practice, you really have to focus on reading. Questions are an important part of the improvement process but it's not as significant since if you don't understand what you are reading, you will never get the questions right. With that in mind, I think you should use the following thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ractice-reading.1170083/page-19#post-17438217

It'll provide you with many articles to read and you can even check to see if you were able to find the main idea of the articles. Once you get the reading down, you will notice that the questions become a lot easier. If you wanted my recommendations, I'd say stick to passages that have around for a while: EK and TPR. They will tend to have less errors and you will have the comfort of knowing that many students before you have used the same resources. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016