1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

MCAT CARS Tutor - Jack Westin Reviews

Discussion in 'CARS Strategy Course with Jack Westin (Sponsored)' started by VerbalMadeEasy, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rohanw

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When I was taking practice exams for the old test I was doing great on the sciences section. I would always get 11-13 on the physical and biological sciences but my verbal score was always between 6-9. I was stuck in rut, I tried a lot of "techniques" taught by ****** and kaplan but it wasn't working. I saw Jack's ad on sdn and he offered me a free trial.

First and foremost, you have to realize that this is a test of how you think and not so much of what you know. That is exactly what Jack teaches you. He explains to you amazing strategies which help you not only in the CARS section of the MCAT but every other section. I am sure everyone is familiar with the situation where they have the answer narrowed down to two choices and then guessed the wrong one. At the end of the day there are 4 answers for each question, and there is only one right answer. Jack teaches you how to get those kind of questions right all the time.

He gives everyone a lot of attention and also provides homework, which helped me tremendously. He also helped me read and comprehend everything much faster, which has helped me in every section. In the Physical sciences section I use to have 5-6 mins to review on the old exam. Following his methods, I now had 25 mins to review on the physical sciences section of the new exam.

I definitely recommend taking Jack's course. Take a free trial and you will see how changing the way you think is so much more important than memorizing rote facts for this exam.

2. me16

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Jack's course is really wonderful!!

I took Jack's new CARS course a few months before my MCAT and I can definitely say that it was one of the best decisions I made concerning my exam. Prior to Jack's class I had never taken the MCAT before so I wasted time and money on other study methods from several big MCAT prep companies. I studied so hard but during my practice exams, I kept scoring in the 10% range. As a straight-A student in college with a near perfect G.P.A, I really had no idea what to do and why this was happening. I found out about Jack's course by reading through this same thread and after attending his free trial course, I was instantly sold.

In his classes Jack is very direct and does not sugarcoat the truth (which is great). When I picked answers in the past, I did so because they felt right or it just looked better. In his class, Jack noticed my error, addressed it and followed up with me. He taught and explained to me how I could logically approach every question so I didn't end up having to "feel-out" the MCAT. Trust me, Jack has been doing this for a long time and is very attentive. If you make mistakes in your reasoning, he is quick to bring you back on track and help you understand what you are doing wrong. Jack not only helped me improve my CARS section but I was able to use the methods and reasoning that he taught and CONFIDENTLY apply it to all the sections.

What makes the class even better is that Jack is very kind and caring person. He spends hours teaching the classes, preparing the material and personally contacting students. He truly takes out time to ensure that everyone understands how to clearly approach the MCAT CARS section. Jack knows his stuff and I would recommend his class to ANYONE looking to take the new 2015 MCAT.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. calvangri

7+ Year Member

#53 calvangri, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2016
  4. intrepid19

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Jack single handedly saved me while I was studying for the MCAT. I had all the prep-books under the sun, had taken 2 Kaplan courses, had studied for an entire summer, but my score was not really increasing from a 33. My target score was a 36 and I was really about to give up on it until I came across Jack on SDN.

I began taking his group verbal reasoning classes, and his strategy was really the key to not only conquering the verbal section, but really the entire MCAT. First of all, I want to say the class setting is great. I actually think its more helpful with other students, because you learn from each other and are more motivated during the class itself. Although Jack's strategy was amazing, it was practicing the strategy that really made the difference. Jack is really great about letting you stay in the class as long as you need. I literally went to ever single class he offered from the time I found him until my MCAT date, even though I had learned and mastered his method early on. I wanted to practice with him and the class and listen to why I got things wrong when I did. However, I also did a ton of practice on my own, doing 2 verbal passages every day, making sure I stayed true to the strategy.

I also took some additional classes with Jack for the science sections. He did an amazing job at teaching exactly what I needed to know for the MCAT. After Jack's classes, I realized that the science on the MCAT wasn't actually that difficult. It was really just basic concepts tested in ways to make sure you could 1) read and 2) apply the concepts. In addition, Jack's verbal classes really helped me in the science sections, too. A major hurdle in figuring out the MCAT was getting used to reading passages. When I first started studying, I would skim the passages, impatient to get to the questions. But after training with Jack, I really learned how to read the passages deliberately and effectively, picking out information I needed to know without spending too much time.

In the end, the time (and money) I spent with Jack was 1000% worth it. Like I said before, I had tried every prep book and method available and worked extremely hard for an entire summer, but nothing was really helping me. Throughout that time I got nothing higher than a 33. But with Jack I found that I could consistently score a 12 on the verbal section, and in the end, I got my target score of a 36 (12/12/12)!!!! It was legitimately unbelievable, given that I was about to concede to a lower score. I HIGHLY recommend Jack to anyone who needs help with the CARS section or the MCAT in general. Even if you are decent at reading comprehension already, Jack can really take your score and strategy to the next level. (Remember how easy the SAT felt? Yea, Jack can make the MCAT feel like that.) I've already booked Jack for my younger brother (right, Jack?) who's also premed, since I really want him to do as well as or even better than I did. Jack is an amazing teacher, a fun guy, and an awesome person. Thanks so much for everything, Jack!

5. yjj8817

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Jack is smart and highly approachable. I took a free trial with him and I could definitely tell that he knows what he is doing. He is very patient and is willing to help you to the best of his ability. After taking lessons with him, you will realize that verbal section is a lot easier than it seems. Definitely try him out!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. daftypatty

2+ Year Member

What's the price?

7. realba11

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    #57 realba11, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  8. stressingout

stressingout premed

Pre-Medical
    If you're like me and you have struggled with verbal for a while now, I'd highly recommend Jack. After scoring a 6 in the verbal section after my first MCAT, I realized some changes needed to be made. I practiced passages like crazy, but I just couldn't seem to improve. It was extremely frustrating to deal with. Jack breaks down the passages for you in a way that is easy to understand. His way of tackling questions worked with me quite nicely. I feel that with Jack, anyone could improve in verbal reasoning.

One thing I actually really like about Jack is that he is ALWAYS willing to help-even if that means he needs to take out extra time from his own life to help you. If I couldn't make the class, he offered a make-up class at no additional cost. He also offered an extra class with us to show how he approaches the science sections of the MCAT.

I haven't gotten my score for my new MCAT yet, so I can't give a numerical value of my improvement, but I will say that I felt more confident about the verbal section on this new MCAT using Jack's technique.

9. SkyJumper42

2+ Year Member

I am taking the new MCAT July 17 and had the pleasure of taking Jack's class. I am a retaker and trying to boost my score across the board, and in particular CARS. English is not my first language, so it naturally does not come off as strong as it does for others. Fair enough, I took the old MCAT obtained a mediocre score.

Fast forward to me taking the new MCAT and taking practice exams and whatnot, I was satisfied with my CARS score. So I held back on doing verbal as often and focused more on content review. Now my MCAT is approaching, and fast, so I started going back to practice CARS passages and I lost my mojo. I went from scoring 70-75% to 50-60% and I started panicking. I ran across Jack's service (wish I would have sooner TBH, but hindsight is 20/20) on SDN actually so I googled him and found his website.

I messaged him for some help and I can say that I was SOOO glad I did. His approach to verbal is unique and I've tried the approach's by the big 3 (Kaplan, EK, and TPR). He genuinely cares about how each and every single student performs during his session and encourages people to ask him if they have questions. He walks you through exactly step by step how he wants you to approach CARS and will NOT continue until every person in the class has grasped his idea. He is a very nice guy and great to talk to. Trust me when I say he knows what he is talking about. His experience and skills show through his class. He is very professional and organized, he assigns homework every week and makes sure that you keep up with it.

All in all, Jack is a great guy that is truly invested in your success, and has the experience and skills to show you how to approach CARS. If you are willing to put in the effort to increase your CARS score, I wouldn't recommend anyone, but Jack steering your ship.

10. stronger34

Pre-Speech Language Pathology
    Hello Everyone!

11. riversidestar2

2+ Year Member

I did a trial session, the group setting doesn't really work for me since I tried it in Princeton Review and did not see a great improvement. Also, I know he goes over AAMC Verbal practice passages in his session, which I have already done, so going over them again wasn't helpful. Either way, he seemed knowledgeable and intelligent (I think he said he was a med student at Stanford).

I ended up getting some One-on-One help, cost me a lot less and was able to really work on my issues. I'm sure he is helpful to some (a lot of his reviewers seem happy), but as someone who had already tried the class thing, I just had to find something different.

12. TheRelevant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  13. AHOT

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I found out about Jack a week before my MCAT and was literally hysterical and desperate for help. Jack called me right away and gave me really good advice that was both constructive and supportive of my own decisions. Because I only had a week before my exam there wasn't much he could do to help me but he still went out of his way and gave me a free trial section. He was super patient and I actually like the setup he had where you had to be actively thinking and contributing. With just one section I learned skills that I was able to apply to every other verbal passage I did that week and honestly I saw slight improvement. I wasn't doing completely awful on verbal to begin with (9s and 10s) but gaining some confidence still helped a lot. I think I got an 85% on my AAMC FL and a 97% on the question pack which has never happened to me before. I highly recommend Jack as long as you aren't waiting a week before your exam to seek help. He even gave me advice regarding how I should apply to medical schools and kept in touch when my scores were released.

14. Skier92

Pre-Medical
    Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that I worked with Jack for almost a year to prepare for my MCAT, and he was an excellent CARS tutor.

I took my first MCAT (without Jack’s help) and scored a 6 (27th percentile) on the VR section (old MCAT). As upsetting as this was, I decided to schedule an appointment with Jack to try and restudy for the test. Speaking with Jack was incredibly calming. He was clearly incredibly knowledgeable and professional, and he ensured that I would be able to raise my score.

He was absolutely right! With his help and a lot of hard work, I improved from a 6 (old test) to about a 10, which is a 126 on the new CARS section (70th percentile). I couldn’t be happier with my improvement, and it is all thanks to Jack’s guidance.

I highly recommend Jack as a CARS tutor! He is patient with his students and he truly wants them to succeed. If you follow exactly what he says and put the time in, Jack’s method will work for you too!

I should also add that Jack has been incredibly helpful with the application process. He helped me with my personal statement and with selecting medical schools that would be a good fit for me.

Thank you Jack for everything!

15. hayden29

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Whether you are really struggling with CARS or simply need that extra edge Jack is the perfect tutor for this section. I have always been inconsistent in CARS, sometimes scoring very well and at other times plummeting. However, after working Jacks method consistently for a few weeks I have noticed that my performance has stabilized. More often than not I now either miss one to zero questions per passage. Most importantly, I am able to deduce why I missed or got questions right (answer keys for verbal from AAMC or prep companies always fell short in my opinion). I have practiced many different CARS methods from many prep companies and I still felt that my performances depended heavily on luck. Jacks method gave be a simple but effective tool for strategically attacking each passage with confidence. In addition to the method, Jack is an exceptional tutor who is passionate about what he does. He has high expectations for his students and goes above and beyond to help. Even though the class in online Jack still finds a way to include everyone in the discussions and there has never been a time which I felt the online form of the class was a disadvantage. As others have pointed out, learning and applying Jacks method takes a lot of work. Be prepared to train for CARS several hours EVERY day, it is the only way to get the most out Jacks classes.

16. TCF

TCF

Pre-Medical
    I used Jack as my MCAT CARS tutor to prepare for the new MCAT in June 2015. Reading comprehension had always been a weakness for me, so reading and answering tricky questions under time pressure really scared me. Working with Jack's strategy gave me amazing skills and important confidence. Jack's strategy helped me learn how to read thoughtfully and effectively. I really appreciated the weekly homework - it was helpful and my thorough completion of it was a key factor in my success. I put in a ton of hard work and effort and with my persistence and Jack's direction and guidance I was able to increase my CARS score to score a 129 and my other section scores to much higher than I was scoring (See score report below). lAfter doing so much MCAT CARS practice problems, I felt prepared and confident, which enabled me to have a calm and positive testing experience. I have since used Jack's teaching in other contexts - It helped me tremendously in the science and pysch sections and even in my outside-of-MCAT-reading. When I needed help outside of class, Jack was always patient, positive, and super super encouraging and helpful. Most of all, he is a role model, he is honest and sincere, and he provided me with support in the nicest way possible. Before you enroll, make sure that you trust him and are ready to really do what he says. I did and I succeeded. I highly recommend Jack and his teaching.

Attached Files:

realba11 likes this.
  17. Hmz117

Pre-Medical
    I had taken the old MCAT and had scored a 7. Unhappy with my overall score I decided to take the new exam. For about 4 weeks I tried to tackle the CARS section to figure out a way to accurately improve, but lacking confidence along with the ambiguity of the questions and answers made that section pretty intimidating to me.

So as a desperate measure I started to research for an MCAT tutor and I came across Jack's thread. I gave his free trial session a shot and just from that I could sense that he was a very assertive MCAT tutor and that's probably what I needed.

I signed up for his one on one tutoring (due to scheduling issues I couldn't take the class option). At first it took me a little while to stick to his strategy to the letter, but once I did manage to get it down and get comfortable with the timing I saw very pleasing results. It also made reviewing verbal passages more worthwhile; I would notice that I had not stuck to the steps either while reading or answering and overtime fixed those mistakes. Towards the end of my session with Jack, I went from getting 3-4 wrong answers per passage to 0-2.

Jack as a MCAT tutor is great. He gave great advice, was very straight forward with me, and would call me out if I didn't follow the steps correctly.

A caveat to this though is that just because you sign up with him, it does not mean your score will go up. I spent hours on end on a daily basis just on verbal and would get extremely frustrated with myself more times than I can remember, but it paid off. If you plan on utilizing Jack's services, you need to work hard and stick to what he says. His method works and in the end the score you get will primarily be the result of the amount of work you put in.

Overall, if you are struggling with CARS and are looking for an MCAT tutor, Jack Westin is a great option.

18. Dr. Trenb

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is a review of what I have experienced with Jack Westin, MCAT tutor specializes in CARS. But before I start I would like to point out that:

1. English is not my first language. I moved to the United States when I was a senior in high school.

2. I never liked reading or writing in general.

3. I came across Jack on SDN forums (did not know anyone who took his course at the time).

To summarize my experience, Jack is by far the best MCAT tutor you can find. In the past, my average score in verbal practice tests ranged 5 and 8. No matter what I tried, I struggled to raise my score. I bought Kaplan and EK books for practice but nothing worked. I tried to find any strategy I could use, but everyone told me that there is none and I only have to read a lot. I lost hope because the verbal was the only section I couldn’t improve. I took the MCAT and to no surprise I did not score well, it was so bad (especially with time), that I had to guess on the last two passages (YES, over 10 question!).

After that, I decided the only way to improve myself is to look for a good MCAT tutor. That’s when I read about Jack and his course. I did not know anything about who he was or how he teaches. I looked him online and I found out that he was offering free trial sessions, so I emailed him to set up one. From that first meeting, I knew he was different. He asked me to do a passage and obviously I struggled. However, he used a portion of his method to demonstrate to me how to approach and answer any question I encounter and boy I was surprised. The way he answered them and how he extracted the correct information from the passage felt to me like he wrote the test. He truly knows what he is doing. Honestly, I felt like he held the key to my success in CARS.

The way he teaches is different. He has a specific method that he will ask you to follow throughout the course. Every single time you do a passage, you use his method. Not only to CARS, but to other sections too. I use his method to help with physics and other sections because in the end, the MCAT is a critical thinking test and no matter which section you do, it is written in a certain way.

My average went up to 11 – 12. I am so confident about CARS right now, I never thought it is possible.

I recommend giving a couple of MCAT tutors a try before committing to one definitely consider Jack Westin. This MCAT tutor fits me well.

19. Negin

Negin Medaholic
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So far, here's my review about Jack:

Before I started looking for a committed and honest MCAT CARS tutor, I had the experience of taking another course which was not very considerate and did not commit to my improvement. I was in search of a MCAT CARS tutor who really commit to my progress diligently. Then, my friend found Jack and we both decided to take his course after the free trial. We were both skeptical since we were not sure at first. After reading all his reviews on SDN and other websites, we decided to give ourselves another chance.

I believe Jack is a very patient, considerate and honest MCAT CARS tutor. So far from what I have heard and experienced, I have never seen a tutor who does actually care for this students and seriously take the time to address the students' concerns beyond class time. He does not get side-tracked during the class and he is always on time. I personally have experienced an increase in my reading comprehension and my efficiency. Currently, I can deduce the main idea and recognize significant from insignificant. I also have seen improvements in my question and answer strategy by applying Jack's methods.

I strongly advise to follow Jack's word/comments very carefully and do not underestimate his instructions. Follow his steps, review his strategy and EXACTLY do what he says, you will be able to improve. I used to take 20 min to finish a passage, now I finish a passage and questions in about 12 min for the passages that have 7 Qs. I don't dwell when I am reading the passage. At the beginning, my progress was very slow, but as time passed by and after following all his recommendations, I slowly started seeing the results. So, if you work hard and stay disciplined, you will improve.

I will be writing my exam and once I get my score I will report.

Mubangaeu likes this.
  20. nt2014

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around SDN for a while but this is my first time posting! I really wanted to contribute my two cents to Jack Westin's course.

I wrote the MCAT January 2015 in hopes of completing it before the new MCAT rolled around. I scored 7 PS, 6 VR, and 9 BS, meaning I definitely had to re-write the exam. I wrote the exam again July 2015 and scored 127 Chem/Phys, 122 CARS, 127 Bio, and 129 Psych/Soc. The CARS section was obviously a real bummer for me and I won't be applying this year because of it.

I was pretty confident about the CARS section after scoring 74% in this section on the sample test released by AAMC. I'm not really sure what went wrong on the actual test date, but I knew that something wasn't working for me. I tried working with a private tutor but I found that my score still wasn't improving significantly.

I stumbled across this thread and decided to attend the free trial. Jack made it almost REALLY obvious why one answer was correct over another. Like I said, I only attended the free trial but I already feel as if this was exactly what I needed to learn in order to approach this section. I don't really have anything else to say as I have only attended that one session. If anyone else is struggling with CARS, I would STRONGLY recommend attending the free trial. There's really nothing to lose!

21. Mubangaeu

2+ Year Member

The CARS section is probably one of the most dreaded sections on the MCAT and there is a common consensus that it is the most difficult section to improve in. Therefore, it’s easy to conclude that when it comes to CARS, you either have it or you don’t! And I happened to be one of those who didn’t have it. Realizing my great deficit on this section, I sought help. I worked with four other different prep companies with no apparent improvement. In spite of the luck of improvement, I took a leap of faith and attempted the MCAT in January 2015. But I was undone by Verbal Reasoning; I ran out of time on the verbal section, and I voided my test. In February, I got back to studying again, tried working with another prep company for the CARS section. I give some credit to this company, they helped me realize why I was struggling with CARS. Unlike the other sections, it requires the application of a set of skills different from most undergraduate courses.

February to June, I studied and practiced but still I wasn’t improving. My timing (pacing) was still way off, and I didn’t have a systematic approach. I had grown so frustrated at my luck of improvement in spite of the hard work I had put in, and was almost giving up. I was starting to believe that maybe because English is my second language, it was impossible for me to improve and get a great score on CARS. Fortunately for me, I’ve always been a firm believer in the “Growth Mindset Theory”, that our minds are filled with limitless potential waiting to be cultivated and all I needed was the ‘RIGHT TEACHER’. It was during my time of great desperation that I came across Jack on Studentdoctor.net. He gave me the glimmer of hope that I was searching for. And I felt like the woman in the biblical narrative, “the woman had an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her life saving upon physicians but none of them could heal her. She heard of Jesus and she came behind him, and touched the border of his garment; and immediately she was healed.” I had spent a lot of money on MCAT prep companies, none of which really helped, but when I came to Jack, he offered me a cure.

However, unlike the woman in the example, mine wasn’t instantaneous, but it was a solution. Unlike other prep groups, Jack doesn’t give you a list of tricks; he gives you a systematic, methodical approach that works ALL THE TIME! Like the unfailing law of gravity, his method works. In other words, Jack gives the BLUEPRINT for SUCCESS on CARS. It is a formula that is true and works all the time. However, the variable in this formula is you and how hard you are willing to work. I realized that the same systematic analytical thinking skills required on CARS are similar to the differential diagnostic skills that Physicians use, and I therefore embraced the challenge of conquering CARS. I followed everything Jack taught us in class to the letter. Practiced 3 hours daily and my score has improved dramatically. On average, on each practice test, I only miss an average of 3 questions, yes, ONLY 3 questions. This is a great deal because I used to get an average score of 6 on the old MCAT tests and now I get 13 and above. ( I’m still using the old AAMC MCAT tests Jack recommends we use ONLY AAMC tests and he has a great reason for it). This is not an exaggeration. Once you take jack’s class and master his method, “the only limit to the height of your achievement (success) on CARS is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work very hard.”

I’m taking the MCAT in 2016 and I know already that I’m going to get a great score on CARS, and I can bet a million dollars on that! And I owe it to Jack. I therefore, recommend his course to anyone who wants to improve their CARS score and is not afraid of hard work. If his course worked for me, believe me, it will work for you too!

aspiringdocO and inthemaking1 like this.
  22. Mubangaeu

2+ Year Member

I almost forgot another important and crucial aspect about Jack’s course. Jack is very patient and committed to your success. He is so committed to this that he allows his students to continue attending the universal office hours after the course is over until the fully master the CARS skills. I do not know of any other MCAT prep company that does this!

inthemaking1 likes this.
  23. MCAT Guru

Pre-Medical
    Overall, Jack is a great tutor. I was in his six-week class this past summer, and it’s definitely true that he’ll teach you the right way to take the test. His strategy (which really isn’t all that crazy) is very simple, intuitive, and easy to follow. I was definitely able to improve my reading skills by taking his course.

One thing I’ll mention is I think this course will be most helpful for those who are really struggling with CARS right (as in, I mean getting <126 on practice tests right now). I think if you’re getting 128 or 129s right now and you want that 131 or 132, this course won’t be as helpful for you. If you’re in this later half, the pace of this course might be a little slower than you would like. That said, Jack holds office hours where you can ask him any questions you have. He always finds very simple ways to answer complex questions.

In the end, I’d recommend Jack to anyone who wants to get that edge in CARS. It’s a super important section on the MCAT. If you’re struggling, taking Jack’s course will most certainly help you.

footy99 likes this.
  24. enien

Medical Student
    Jack Westin is an amazing MCAT CARS instructor, I can't thank him enough. I would not be where I am today without him. First time I got a 4(122) in CARS, he got me to a 10(127).

If you follow what he says and work hard you can improve on this section of the test.

aspiringdocO likes this.
  25. ardent1986

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am an ESL student who has been struggling with CARS. CARS section has been like a chronic disease in my life. I have tried two prep courses, but they could not teach me the method that actually worked for me. As most of you know, most of the prep courses leave CARS section to individual’s reading comprehension skill. Or, people would just tell you, “Read a lot. Do the questions,” and you will end up waiting for a long time for the improvement which is not guaranteed. In my case, I have started with the score of 4 out 15 in CARS in pre-2015 version, and raised it up to 7-8 in the beginning of the year 2015. It took about four years to improve up to the point since I have started studying for MCAT.

Still struggling with CARS section of the MCAT, I’ve got to know Jack Westin’s course in August, 2015 and joined the class. After taking his course I ended up getting 128 out of 132 from the CARS section of the AAMC practice test, which was the unprecedented score in my MCAT studying. Here is why I think Jack’s method worked for me.

His method seems working greatly on the AAMC style questions. His way of solving questions is very systematic and put you on the secure ground without feeling disoriented when you face the CARS questions. He does not teach a fancy, marketable method but teaches a realistic, working, applicable, and effective method.

Through his systematic and concrete method, I could get rid of the concern about time constraint. I am not saying that his method magically solved the time constraint problem, but what I am saying is time constraint prevents you from practicing certain method that you need to hone and build upon. Jack is against the holding onto the time constraint. He emphasizes answering questions in a right way (his way). That assurance makes you stick to his method without panicking and rushing through the questions. That assurance is necessary when you apply a new method, and Jack was great in that. In my experience, other CARS instructors seemed to teach the method they were requested to teach by the prep companies. They seemed even not sure if the method they were teaching was applicable or effective. However, Jack is different. He came up with his own method, and he affirms you that you need to stick with his method without panicking and consulting other unfounded methods out there. That enabled me to internalize his method and improve my score.

He does not simply shoot out the information he needs to teach. He walks you through the process and if you don’t follow his method, he corrects you. He points each student to solve a question with him. You will be pointed and solve it, and you get to listen how other students work on the questions and you can learn from them, too. Listening to how other students making mistakes, you feel you are not alone in this race.

My overall experience confirms that the tuition I paid for his course was definitely worth it.

26. Labrat07

5+ Year Member

Here’s my honest review on Jack:

English is my 2nd language. So I knew verbal section would be hard for me before tackling MCAT. So it was as expected. I couldn’t get verbal consistently over 7 on practice tests. I voided my first MCAT and took his course. His method of teaching is very direct and personal. He don’t hold back telling when you’re slacked off. I tried every method before his and didn’t have any success. Using his method and working hard, I was able to get up my verbal to 10-11 consistently on old practice aamc verbal. I’m confident to say that his method works if you put in the time and efforts as well. You’re not going to magically get the points without hard works. With this alone, I think it was more than worth it for me to take his class.

Now, another invaluable thing about Jack is his genuinely caring for his students. As I was studying for my 2nd attempt on MCAT, my motivation was dwindling. I wanted to give up and said **** it all. Jack consistently checked up on me. That really saved me. I didn’t tell him this but I really am thankful for this gesture. I’ll be in contact with him for life. For me, this is priceless. You know the feeling when you fall down a cliff with no end in sight and you got a hand reaching out to you pulling you back up. That was it for me. So thank you Jack. You really did save my journey.

Now for my real MCAT score. I got a 126 on verbal (9 on old scale). I’m really thankful for that score. After timing out the first section with 2 questions not answered, I was in a state of panic. That was really my mistake. That affected the rest of my test. Jack did tell me not to fall for this at the beginning too (lol I know) To be honest, I could’ve done way better on the verbal section. My score is good enough for osteopathic and some allopathic. I’m glad I’m done with MCAT and getting rdy to apply.

Short version: I’d take his course again. It’s definitely worth it for me.

dodo22 likes this.
  27. Roflcoppter1337

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I took my MCAT on September 3rd, the last offering for the 2016 cycle. Overall, I felt good about the CARS section, after taking Jack Westin's class. He definitely taught me to read the right way; after taking the class, I was missing 0-2 questions and average 1 error per passage on average on the question pack questions (this translates to a 129 on the new MCAT system, or a 12 on the old one). I didn't feel much time pressure on the CARS section, and I didn't feel that I was rushing. Learning to visualize and quickly grasp the main ideas of passages I think helped me with the psychology section, the section I was least knowledgeable in. Jack's method is especially helpful for understanding the verbose and intentionally confusing science and psych passages.

As a senior taking multiple reading-intensive courses at Swarthmore College, a top 3 liberal arts school, I cannot help but use Jack's strategies to boost my efficiency. I'm really amazed at his effectiveness in just a few classes. As many other posts have indicated, Jack Westin is the best resource to improve critical reading skills for LIFE, not just the MCAT.

28. dodo22

Pre-Medical
    I had a hard time understanding CARS because english is my second language, plus I came to the States with almost no english, so trying to understand CARS was very, very difficult for me. I don't wanna say that Jack is the only way, I just wanna say that I tried EK and Princeton but it din’t help me much. I used to get 1-2 right answers per passage on an average, which was very disappointing. After 2 months with Jack, I get 1-2 wrong answers per passage, on an average. This didn’t happen over night. I was frustrated at the beginning, but after a while I started to see improvements. I also have the luxury of spending about 3-4 hours a day, 6 days a week doing CARS. Again, it worked for me but I cannot say that it will work for everybody. I think if you don't spend at least 2-3 hours every day on practicing CARS, doing passages or reading, you WILL NOT see improvement. I still have to work on my timing, but I hope I’ll be ready by January when I’ll take the real CARS. Also, he cares about his students too, he’s always there to help you. I’ll come back after I’ll take the real test.

29. baeshirley

Pre-Medical
    I started Jack’s course early in my studies for MCAT. I knew that I was very weak in the CARS section, since I had failed SAT Reading back in high school (English is not my first language). I was looking for any information that could increase my CARS score, but all I found was some Youtube videos that contained very general information. But Jack was different. He actually had a set method that can be used to attack each question and get them right. Sure, there are some (very very few) questions that may not fit perfectly into this method. But I’ve realized that it is possible to get my desired score on the CARS section just by applying Jack’s methodology.

He gives Homework every week and it is the student’s job to finish them on time! I cannot stress enough how important it is to do them. If schoolwork or full-time work is hindering you from doing the required homework, I would suggest that you try to do at least 1 passage or 30 minutes of reading (doing something is better than doing nothing). Even after finishing his course, I go back to his homework agenda to re-do them.

Jack has universal office hours once every week. He is willing to answer any questions that you have for him, and goes over the passages that were difficult. They are immensely helpful: not only do you get to see how Jack approaches the questions, but you also get to see how other students think and choose the answers. Because of this, I personally feel that having a class is better than private tutoring; and Jack did a great job in implementing this to his courses.

When I first started out, I would get about 20-30 questions wrong in the 9 passages of CARS. After finishing the course, I now get about 6-10 questions wrong. This is a big improvement for me and I have hope that it will continue to improve as I keep practicing.

As for timing, I still have difficulty finishing the passages on time. But compared to the pre-course 120 minutes that I needed to finish, I now need about 90-100 minutes to finish (I still need to shave off about 10 minutes when hard passages show up). Reducing the time spent on each passage is something I need to work on on my own. Jack’s course gives you the methods, but in the end, it is the student who needs to read everyday, do passages everyday, and learn to apply the techniques in an efficient and timely manner. All in all, I definitely recommend his course to anyone who is having a hard time with the CARS section. Jack will help you in the best of his abilities and give you all the tools you need to succeed.

30. GCS-15

2+ Year Member

Jack’s class was probably the one thing I did that improved my CARS score. It’s not magic or anything – it’s a simple strategy that you follow. But he presents it well and explains you through every step of it. It definitely helped me, but be aware that you also need to put in the time and effort to practice the strategy and work a lot on your own. If you do what he says, put in the time and practice – your score WILL go up on the CARS section. I tried reading TPR and EK verbal books – and they helped a little, but it’s just a little frustrating when you get a question wrong and think “why??”. With Jack, you can go through that question and really learn from your mistakes. Downside is the cost, obviously. But in my opinion – it was worth it. If you’re really struggling (like I was) and tried everything else but it didn’t work – I would recommended you try Jack’s class. You will learn a strategy that simply works and will be able to apply it for every section on the MCAT.

Again - don't expect magic. You can't just idly do the lessons and expect a 132. You NEED to put in the work to and practice your butt off. If you do, it'll be worth it.

31. affableangel

Pre-Medical
    Jack is a great instructor who really cares about his students as they go through the entire medical school process, not just with taking the MCAT. He also has great analogies to help us to better understand the concept/strategy he is trying to teach us which helps with not only the CARS section but also the sciences and how to read better in general and most importantly how to read with confidence. It really helps to have someone break it down in a simple way and make the test seem more surmountable. What I like best is how patient he is with helping diagnose specific problems we may be having and his persistent encouragement and willingness to help us through the entire process.

32. premed240

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There are multiple ways to describe Jack since he is such an excellent teacher, but the one word I would use is caring. Jack cares just as much for his students to succeed as his students do. This is evident through the extra office hours he gives weekly and the fact that he'll often exceed the class period just to make sure his students understood that which they were supposed to in a given session. These are just some of the many ways that illustrate how much Jack cares for his students. And this type of tutor is what distinguishes Jack from all others.

Jack is a CARS tutor, but his method goes beyond the CARS section and helps with approaching the entire MCAT exam. He teaches you a strategy—a way by which to approach the exam. I believe that the ability to understand how to approach the MCAT is what one truly needs to succeed on the exam. You can learn the content of the MCAT by reading any MCAT prep book, but it is critical (especially for the new MCAT) to learn how to think critically, read passages, and answer questions in an efficient manner. Jack provides to you these skills through his technique, and I believe it is the only prep course you need to be successful on the MCAT.

I currently attend a prestigious university with a 3.95 GPA, tons of shadowing and research experience, publications, leadership positions, and so forth. I was successful in all of my undergraduate science courses, but it is important to understand that the MCAT is different. You can't prepare for the MCAT in the same manner you prepared for college exams. I learned this the hard way. I took the MCAT for my first time last summer and my score reflected a lack of proper preparation. I got a 122 in CARS, which is extremely below average. I was very upset and knew I needed a tutor in CARS since that was my weakest section. After doing some research, Jack repeatedly appeared with excellent reviews. He sounded like a magnificent tutor, so I decided to attend his free trial session. Immediately after participating in his trial session, I knew he was the tutor I needed to succeed since he was firm, caring, and perhaps most importantly, made the MCAT seem easy.

I took the MCAT again a week after finishing Jack's course, and my CARS score did not go up. I was extremely surprised and upset, but when I reflect on it now, I do not think it was Jack’s inability to be a good tutor. Rather, I feel that I did not give myself enough time to prepare. Jack gave me the strategy and confidence to succeed on the MCAT, and I strongly believe I will do well when I take it for a third time. My best advice would be to take Jack's course about 3 months before your registered MCAT date so that you will have sufficient time to practice his method for all of the sections of the exam. Following Jack’s advice and listening to every word he has to say can help you achieve not only great success on the MCAT but an understanding of how to succeed in medical school as well.

#82 premed240, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  33. dpatz24

Pre-Medical
    I just finished up Jack’s class a couple weeks ago. I took his CARS class through the winter of 2015 in preparation for the January 23, 2016 MCAT exam. Being heavily science minded, CARS was a struggle for me and I lacked the confidence. Jack’s class helped me regain that confidence. He teaches his students his own method of how to attack CARS passages. By practicing over and over again, it helps to build up your confidence so that you believe in yourself and the system. His method works well with any type of passage, dense or light, arts or humanities, etc. Jack even says he loves the harder passages because the questions are usually easier and his method allows us to navigate through it easily. Over time, I worked my way up to consistently getting no more than 1 or 2 questions wrong per passage. Jack is extremely patient and a great teacher and takes the time to work with you during and outside of class to make sure you are employing his method correctly. After I finished his class, I still needed help on improving my score with a month left before the exam. Jack and I would skype and he would give me additional advice. Make sure to do everything he says and do it thoroughly otherwise it will hinder your progression. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions about Jack’s CARS class.

34. Jgrimes13

2+ Year Member

I finished Jack`s course several weeks ago. Taking Jacks`s course was one of the best choices I made in my MCAT preparation. When I went into the test, I had a new found confidence and strategy that not only helped me on my CARS section, but for the other sections of the test as well. Jack is not only a really nice and helpful person, but he truly cares about the progress his students make. I felt like I really had someone on my side that was helping me prepare for the exam and someone who truly wanted me to succeed. His method is extremely effective and will produce results, as long as you are willing to follow what he says and work hard. Before Jacks class, I had issues with confidence, timing, and lingering over questions. He teaches you how to cut through all of that with precision. I have already recommended Jacks course to others and I do not regret the investment one bit.

35. sunlove7887

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am going to express my honest opinion about Jack and the CARS course that he is teaching.
    A little background about me first. I am an ESL and struggled for a very long time with CARS. Read all the strategies and tried to implement them in my practice but something was not clicking. Even after months of CARS practices I was not even near to have a decent score.
    I took Jack's course and from the 1 st lecture I saw huge improvement! This was an eye opening experience. Literally, for the first time I saw how I was supposed to approach CARS.
    Jack took a lot of time to explain the strategy and make sure that each one of us was comfortable with it. He has a lot of patience and respect for his students. He treats you as a normal human being who really needs help, and he is there for you.
    Jack gives you tools but it is up to the student to stick to it and perfect it. It is a lot of hard work. There are no miracles with CARS. You just have to stick to it and work hard at it.
    Another thing: before investing in this course I took Jack's free session, which was set up as a class, so you can see how it goes in the course.
    Good luck guys!

36. miad

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The first time I wrote the MCAT I knew that verbal would be my biggest challenge, yet I thought practicing over and over again would help me improve. However, my score proved me wrong. It's very true that practice is the key in verbal but you have to be practicing the right technique in order to succeed. Before taking Jack's lessons I would spend so much time trying to understand every single word in a passage and that wasn't practical because time is limited on this test. Jack is a great tutor, he'll teach you how to read a passage efficiently and with practicing his method you will see results.

This is just a short summary of why I found Jack very helpful:

-He is very professional and cares about his students, providing lots of opportunities to ask questions or go over passages they don't understand

-He taught me how to get the majority of the questions correct even if I understand only 50% of the passage

-His method is applicable to the biology/ physical science section

Good luck!

37. ZAC.RAZ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I took the old version of MCAT and did very poorly on the VR section. While preparing for the new version, I registered for Jack Westin's course as well. Being an ESL, I always had hard time working on CARS, as I have been in an English-speaking country only for 3 years.

The strategy that Jack presents in his class can easily get you to 127-129 ranges in CARS section. I personally improved 2 band score by taking his course and practicing only for almost 10 weeks. Of course you will need longer time if your exposure to English literature has been limited for any reason.

I believe that Jack helped me not only to get through the CARS, but also his strategy is applicable to other sections too, as he basically teaches you how to read. Besides, he has been very helpful in giving very valuable tips on my application and even taking his time to practice mock interview with me.

His course seemed expensive to me at first, but I have gained a lot of help from him that the course fee is nothing comparable.

38. themathbook

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just completed Jack's CARS course in early March, and here's my review:
    • Jack is super smart. After taking TPR review class and his class for cars, I'm going to say that he REALLY gets the essence and patterns in CARS. Yes, there is a pattern. And you can apply this pattern to almost all questions.
    • Also he spends a lot of time making sure you understand and he cares about your progress. The course is fun, and something I look forward to each week, especially seeing my jump and improvement.
    • If you're taking this class, I recommend you really try his method, and also try understand your own brain, like what's easy for you, what's hard for you, and try make things work for YOU. This is how I benefit from the course. And if you can keep track of the reasons why you miss a question, and continue to reflect upon his methods, that will be even better.
    • The most important thing to do well is to practice reading articles/passages using the technique learned in this course CONSISTENTLY, and if you can Memorize the logic of questions went over in class.
    • His approaches to different types of questions are very clever and super helpful. And his concept of approaching CARS in general is top notch.(very efficient)
    • And his way of working through the passage is the key to success. No one else I've heard has provided a better way of dissecting the passage, and this way of dissecting a passage is something one can practice and get really really good at.
    • I'm not there yet, still need more practice, but I see tremendous improvement in my ability to answer questions. It really is amazing. I love my improvement. I also have a way better understanding of how AAMC writes CARS questions.
    • This means that it doesn't matter how difficult the passage AAMC throws at me, there's a way to handle that. I'm going to keep practicing using the method I learned in this course, and I will provide a more detailed review when I take the test in July.

39. inthemaking1

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The CARS section and more importantly the MCAT are beatable. I took a commercial MCAT prep course and did not find their strategies/approach helpful or applicable in my prep.

Jack Westin's course helped me gain the confidence and reasoning skills to approach the MCAT. In his course, Jack has a specific method to dissect each passage and associated questions with a strategic approach. Before the course, I used to miss at least half of the questions (~3) per passage and after taking the course, I was missing 1 question at most per passage. As fundamental as it sounds, I actually learned how to properly read with Jack.

His approach helped to simplify the complexities of CARS and the MCAT in general. The great thing about Jack's strategy is that the logical approach he teaches can also be applied to other sections of the test as the MCAT is a passaged based test. When improving upon CARS, I also saw 1-2 point increases in other section scores. This is the type of specialized tutoring I needed for my MCAT prep from the beginning. Overall I am satisfied, if only I had found Jack’s course back in 2014.

Jack is genuine and will work with you until you get it right. He is very knowledgeable in how the MCAT tests questions and shares with you in the course. You have to put in the work and practice with his approach, and you will be able to reach your MCAT goals. Jack is an excellent mentor and I am grateful for his methods. I would happily recommend Jack Westin's course for those that are struggling with CARS. Sign up for a free trial session with Jack and see if it suits your needs.

Thank you Jack!

40. at3838

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This course is extremely helpful if you're struggling in CARS! If you're hesitant at all (which to be honest - I was), Jack offers a free trial. That is what I did, and I am so glad that I did it, as it led me to finally pull the trigger and sign up for his course. To be clear, I had already taken the MCAT once before and CARS was truly my worst enemy. My test is actually tomorrow, but I'm going in it way more confident than ever before.

What he goes over in class is gold. You learn specific strategies that are essentially foolproof, BUT that doesn't mean that by simply taking this course guarantees a good CARS score. You have to put in the work, and apply his strategies EXACTLY the way he teaches them. It may sound tedious, but eventually it will become second nature to you and it works! How do I know? Because the material we use for homework are the CARS Question Packs from AAMC. The test-makers themselves. The strategies can also be applied more or less to the science sections too!

Jack offers plenty of office hours if you need the extra help, he's always patient with us, and always on time! On a more personal note, I turned to Jack for some pointers for a medical school interview (I am in the current cycle), and he was very willing to help in that way too. This guy truly wants us to succeed. You'll also learn that Jack loves the beach, basketball, and pizza (lol).

Thanks for everything, Jack!

41. FedExpress95

Pre-Medical
    Here’s the best way to put it: Take this class if you want to see a sure-shot improvement in your CARS section. But don’t expect to get it without putting the work. Jack Westin has a great set of tools he teaches you, but the expectation is that you will practice using those tools. It’s kind of like learning a sport. If someone hands you a world-class baseball bat but you have no idea how to play baseball, you’ll be unable to hit a home run. But with more and more practice, that bat will make the home run infinitely easier to hit. This is my experience of the class. As someone who struggled immensely with CARS on the MCAT, I improved from a 125 to a 128 in this section. Even other sections also became easier because I learned to think like the MCAT writers. I learned the baits they might use to lure students into selecting wrong answers.

Other test prep companies offer strategies in CARS asking you to annotate each paragraph, look at questions first, etc. Jack starts out by telling you one simple thing: read the passage right the first time. One of my biggest problems was that I would often incorporate some of my own knowledge as I read the passage. This led me to overthink the questions and get simple questions wrong for no reason. Many students make this mistake…Jack makes it his priority to help them overcome this.

I recently told my dad something...by far one of the best investments I've made in my undergrad years was signing up for this class. Before the class, Jack himself was unsure if I should sign up, and he honestly told me so. He didn't sell himself or make me sign up. All he told me was that I had already done decently well on the MCAT, and he wasn't sure if it was worth my money to go any further. But I'm glad I did. It's opened doors to many med schools I couldn't have envisioned going to.

In summary, you might take a CARS class with another test prep company and it might absolutely work for you. But it will have worked for you in the “high risk, high reward” format. With Jack’s class, the tools you learn are such that you can get a solid score in CARS with a “low risk, high reward” method. Even if you wake up on the day of the MCAT with a lack of sleep, you’ll be able to pull through and answer questions correctly. If that sounds like something you are after, I highly recommend enrolling in Jack’s class.

But remember: It’s like a world class baseball bat. You need to put in the work and increase your skill level in order to be able to hit easy home runs.

**As a side note, Jack also does a wonderful job at reviewing personal statements afterwards. He gives honest criticism and stays away from any “sugarcoating”. By far one of the best essay reviewers I’ve come across and one that will help you write an outstanding personal statement.

#91 FedExpress95, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  42. hailstorm2015

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Main point of this review: no regrets take Jack's class!!

I was struggling with understanding MCAT, what to study, and how to approach it. Although I thought reading was my strength after trying CARS and the other sections I just felt like a fish out of water. I signed up for Jack's class after practicing CARS for a month beforehand and not understanding the questions or answers at all. Jack's CARS class is superb and really helped me understand CARS as well as every other section. His class is structured with questions and practice problems so I felt confident that I knew what to do going into the test. He really cares about all his students and knows how to break down the CARS section in such a manageable way that made me really like reading passages and answering questions towards the end of my studying.

If you have any doubt about whether or not you should sign up, sign up now. I was hesitant at first due to money but it was completely worth it and better than any other prep out there. It is honestly such a great class and now I not only understand the MCAT but I have a new way of thinking that I can use in Medical School. Also quantitatively I improved from a 500 to a 513 and went from a 124 to a 127 in the CARS section. My Chem/physics section improved drastically and it was thanks to learning how the MCAT works and functions.
    MCATimprovements.jpg

#92 hailstorm2015, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    BlueDevilSung likes this.
  43. koppycop

First let me say that Jack was immensely helpful and professional. His method is by far the best out there, and I would highly recommend him to anyone struggling with the MCAT CARS section in a heartbeat! As a Biochemistry major CARS was particularly challenging for me compared to the sciences sections. But by following Jack's method I was able to understand what I was missing and achieve my MCAT goals. Jack really wants all his students to succeed, and its evident in all the time and effort he dedicates to classes, office hours, and consistently helping his students through emails. At first I was very skeptical reading all the positive reviews of his technique to "master" the CARS section, (to me it sounded like snake oil, too good to be true). However, I was pleasantly surprised by Jack's clear and concise approach for "Mastering" the CARS section. Jack has amazing ability to pinpoint exactly what your weaknesses are, and how to improve them.

If you are even remotely considering taking Jack's course, join him for his free trial session and you will see exactly what all the hype is about!!

*** Disclaimer- Mastering the CARS section will take an immense amount of hard work, dedication, and practice on your part. However, Jack will simplify it help you every step of the way!

44. HealthyVegan

I was always so afraid of CARS section of the MCAT. I did everything possible to avoid studying for it. I never had the confidence that i would do well and, of course, my old MCAT scores showed just that. I've lived in US for 17 years and speak another 3 languages, so English isn't a subject I excel the most. Although I speak it well, my major in college was nursing and I'd gladly ready any science or pathophysiology material. I never took creative writing, or read novels, non-science books on a regular basis. I always believed that I'd fail verbal section because I didn't have the background knowledge in English like some other students. Of course I was wrong.

I've taken Kaplan course in the past, read through EK verbal book, searched for techniques to reading passages online, browsed though YouTube videos, but everything I found never resonated with me and always left me feel hesitant about this section. Just like every MCAT student I have spent a lot of money on courses from bigger companies, who seemed to care more about the financial aspect instead of getting to know each student and helping them with their weaknesses.
    However, one evening, while searching again for another MCAT strategy I accidentally stumbled upon Jack Westin on SDN while reading someone's review of the course. I was hesitant to spend even more money i didn't have. But after taking a free class, I just had a feeling this time my investment would pay off.
    I was right.

I absolutely loved Jack's class. This course was the best MCAT investment I've ever made. His technique to approaching CARS is unlike others' and it works when you stick to it. It's also means a lot to have a tutor who is not only very knowledgeable, but also really cares about every student to do well. Jack is so patient. He takes his time to hear out every single student even if to answer the same question or explain a strategy over and over again.

Jack helps not only with CARS but also other sections of MCAT as the whole exam is about reading passages and answering questions. His technique to approaching passages works. As long as you put the time, trust all the strategies, do your homework, you will see huge improvement. When you invest in the course, Jack invests in you in return by providing all the necessary skills to do well on the exam. The feeling of finally reading the passages and understanding the, knowing exactly what every question is asking and getting the right answers is priceless.
    Although i still have few months before the exam, I have finally received the proper foundation that not only increased my confidence but made me finally like CARS. I'm no longer afraid of the exam. I know I will do well and I have Jack to thank for.

P.S. I also loved to be in the class with other students, because I realized that i wasn't the only one struggling with same feelings of fear, hesitancy, anxiety. They asked valuable questions during the class I might have never asked. It was also good to learn from each other's mistakes. Interacting with them during and after class also helped with confidence, provided an outlet to sharing any struggles/fears/concerns. I have found an amazing group of students, who understand exactly what i'm going though and always glad to help with any MCAT questions or just listen. Having good support system is everything and sometimes family/friends don't always understand the sacrifices we make for MCAT. Having a group of people who are working towards the same goals makes it so much easier to conquer this exam.

FlyMissMD93 likes this.
  45. noneed2live

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi everyone,

I've recently just finished the JackWestin CARS course and I HIGHLY recommend it for several reasons:

-Jack understands the AAMC MCAT extremely well, to the point that he has discovered the CARS pattern for READING passages and ANSWERING questions; throughout the course, I witnessed that this pattern applies to ALL AAMC CARS passages and questions. Other Prep companies don't teach according to this pattern and it is their mistake. Jack does, and it is the reason why his students are able to do so well on the CARS section
    -He is a very patient, understanding, and intelligent tutor. He is adept in identifying the root causes for your mistakes and offers accurate advise in getting rid of them, which is imperative since we can only get better once we work on our weaknesses.
    -He teaches you the correct way to read and comprehend difficult reading material. Before this course, I was a below average reader, in that I would not be able to understand and follow the ideas of more than half of the articles that I would read on sources like the economist. After 6 weeks of training, I can comfortably read the most challenging articles on the economist and summarise them to my best friend in layman's terms. Jack's CARS course won't just help for the MCAT...it will help you in life. Many of the bad habits I was accustomed to when reading even my course notes have now been expunged and it has made me a lot more efficient in reading.
    -His course takes a holistic approach of MCAT, meaning that he is not JUST helping you in CARS, but rather he is mentoring you for the entire exam. He teaches a strategy for dealing with Science passages, offers great advice about studying for the MCAT in general, and keeps you motivated

A Final Note:
    I was originally conflicted about taking this course because of the price, and I'm sure that a part of you must be as well. Honestly, it is worth it in many respects. This might be the most important exam of YOUR LIFE. Take no chances, maximise your MCAT potential with Jack's help and I guarantee that you will have no regrets.

46. medgolf

2+ Year Member

I finished Jack’s CARS course and I can say that Jack’s method works. I have not taken the MCAT yet; however, I felt that the CARS section would be the most challenging section for me. I have taken practice tests on my own, and I found that I would miss the majority of the questions. I was intimidated by the passages, and I was unable to see why certain answer choices are better than others. After completing the course, I have seen my accuracy greatly increase, and I have become much more comfortable and confident with my ability.

Jack teaches you how to be an effective reader for CARS and helps you to rid yourself of bad habits. Jack also teaches a step-by-step process of how to answer questions. To make the most improvement, you have to practice every day for a few hours. Jack gives you the tools necessary to succeed. It is ultimately up to you to practice for improvement.

Jack is very passionate about what he does and it shows every class session. He is extremely patient and is willing to go over a topic with you as many times as you need. His class structure is very interactive and he will have students read passages and answer questions. By doing this, Jack can listen to your thought process and can identify the concepts you struggle with. He holds office hours every week, and I strongly recommend going to them. It helps to reinforce concepts he covered in class and gives you an opportunity for more practice. You can always email Jack any questions or concerns that you may have and he will give you a detailed response.

Jack is very familiar with the process for getting accepted into medical school and is more than happy to give advice on other aspects of your premed journey.

Overall, Jack’s course was a great investment. I have been able to apply the strategies he taught me to other sections of the MCAT and my every day reading as well. I would highly recommend Jack Westin’s CARS course to anyone.

47. adventurer456

Pre-Medical
    I just got my scores back from my June 2nd, 2015 MCAT. Improved from a CARS score of 49 percentile and 37 percentile (not shown) to a 90 percentile. I can barely believe it, but I did it by taking Jack's course. Every little strategy detail he teaches matters. You also ABSOLUTELY must put in the time to do months of reading 1.5 hours per day of mapping 6 minute passages (plus leisure reading). YOU WILL IMPROVE. I thought I was hopeless and have been a poor reader all my life, but I just broke a glass ceiling for myself. I really cannot believe what I did here with Jack.

Before Jack's Course:

upload_2016-7-6_14-34-24.png
    After Jack's course ^

48. Shewillcreate

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    After taking the MCAT twice and receiving a discouraging score of 6 on both exams, I started to think I didn't have the ability to ever score decently so maybe it was time to move on but I just couldn't let my dream go.

I first learned about Jack here on SDN after searching for ways to improve my verbal score. I was determined to find someone/something that would get me to where I needed to be to succeed; I even considered taking an LSAT reading course to help me with argument analysis. After reading through some of these reviews and details about the course on his website, I was super excited and impressed that he provided a trial session and quickly contacted him to request a spot. After experiencing his style, I realized that I wanted Jack as my tutor and signed up to take his course. At first I was skeptical about his strategy because it was SO different however, I worked hard everyday to internalize the strategy, to stick with his methods and complete all of my homework. Although I improved, my progress was not linear; I struggled with the strategy and my frustrations were getting the best of me. After talking with Jack about it, he was able to locate my weaknesses and told me EXACTLY what I needed to do.

Jack's strategy/method for mastering CARS is so simple and concise but for me, it was not always easy. I had to learn the hard way and keep at it for almost 9 months after taking his course, however, I wouldn't have had it any other way. Although learning and using his strategy helped me understand how the test makers want me to think and how to approach the questions, I think what really got me where I am today was the support I got from Jack; he believed in my success even when I did not. He was ALWAYS available when I needed additional help whether it was a Skype meeting, after class or via email. Even well after finishing the course, Jack checked in with me to see how I was doing; he continued to cheer me on and reminded me of my ability to succeed. The enjoyment he finds in teaching shines through in his dedication to his students- he takes the time to understand/know you and has a great balance of being stern yet so friendly and welcoming. He is patient and consistent in what he says/wants you to do, which I believe is incredibly important in the learning process. Jack instilled in me an air of confidence that I've NEVER had with this exam, and for that alone, I'm so thankful!

It's been a little over a year since I took Jack's course and just took my exam yesterday (July 9, 2016). I was excited and felt ready to get it done and now I can finally make my way through the application process, thanks to Jack's help. I used the strategy on every section and felt pretty solid about it for most of them. I will most definitely update this post once I receive my scores on August 9th :) For all of you who are considering taking the course, I want you to know that using Jack's method is going to be challenging and you Absolutely MUST put in the time and effort to improve. You've got to trust in what Jack is telling you because it going to help you succeed. If you want to learn how to approach the ENTIRE exam strategically and confidently, Jack is the BEST mentor to get you there. Once you realize what you can achieve with Jack's help, you will absolutely be happy with all the work and time you put in! Please, please PM me if you have any questions regarding my experience with Jack.

Best of luck to all of you!!

49. gryph1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I started tutoring with Jack, spring of Last year - he is amazing! He teaches you the technique required to successfully maneuver the CARS section. He GENUINELY wants you to do well, and is committed to making sure that time comes to pass no matter how long it may take. The biggest mistake, however, is to think that once you get the method, you are set. No - he emphasizes that the key is practice. You have to make sure to put in the hours of efficient practice utilizing his method in order to be able to see results. And this time varies from person to person. I took the MCAT in June 2015 - unfortunately, leading up to the exam I was still having problems with timing. I rushed the last 3 passages of CARS during the MCAT as I was short of time. Truth is - though I had put in a lot of practice, I still wasn’t ready. The results reflected this - I got a 124. I was extremely defeated and decided to take the rest of the year off to focus on other things before mustering up the courage and being in the right frame of mind to take the MCAT again. I emailed Jack again early this year, telling him about my situation, and that I was ready to take the exam again. Jack was SO friendly and supportive and said that I could join office hours as often as I wanted until I was ready. He said not to rush it and to just remain diligent on my practice. I was so shocked - I have never met a tutor so committed to an individuals success. He really wants to make sure you do well - and is extremely patient and supportive. I took the MCAT on 6/16 - and scored a 127! 3 points higher than I ever have. I can’t imagine how much higher it would be if I put even more time in. Long story short - Jack is great. I would highly recommend him. He teaches you how to master the CARS section, he shows you how to effectively read, and answer the questions. He teaches you how to catch MCAT tricks and not fall for them. And most importantly he instills confidence. CARS is so doable, and many (I was included) psych themselves out for the section. Jack is great - I hope anyone out there looking to improve the CARS section contacts him. He is the best out there!

FlyMissMD93 and aspiringdocO like this.
  50. cavsfan

5+ Year Member

Long time student of Jack here! I took the 2015 MCAT when it first came out and received a 505, with a 123 on CARS section. I took Jack's course and it was immensely helpful. By following his advice, I was able to pinpoint my mistakes and make necessary adjustments. By doing everything Jack told me, I gained a new sense of confidence. I decided to rewrite and it was a great decision. I received a 509 with a 125 on CARS.

While no tutor can guarantee a high score, there are certain things that you can do to put yourself in the best position to succeed. Signing up for Jack's course was definitely one of them. Some of the little things that he tells students to do can make a huge difference if practiced on a consistent basis. For example, reading high level and dense articles daily really helps develop comprehension and stamina. When I practiced for CARS, I would find boring scholarly articles that I hated and practice reading them as if they were the real thing (I recommend historytoday.com). When I started out doing this, I didn't like it a whole lot. But I am thankful in the long run, because they made me better.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.