1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

MCAT CARS Tutor - Jack Westin Reviews

Discussion in 'CARS Strategy Course with Jack Westin (Sponsored)' started by VerbalMadeEasy, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg13e

2+ Year Member

Hey Guys!

Hope all is going well. I was a student of Jack’s SC 15 class and I found the class was more than great. I found Jack by lurking around SDN and after receiving my first MCAT score, Im not gonna lie I was sketched out by how so many people can score so many quick points on Verbal through his help. My score was a 498 with a 121 verbal before his class and I studied for 7 months taking a bunch of practice exams (15-17 tests) and studying metabolic pathway facts. After his class, I scored a 506, with a 124 verbal (3 point increase)! I was ecstatic! I had a total different approach toward studying this time around… I studied for 1 month( I signed up for the next available test upon receiving the 4/1/16 score because I wanted to apply this cycle), just actively reading magazine articles using JACK’s TECHNIQUE. I applied Jack’s technique to everything. I even apply it to materials outside of the MCAT, like Biochem and Cell Biology. You can apply his Verbal technique to the other science sections, which I subsequently did apply his technique and scored 4 points higher in the Chemistry/ Physics part and 3 points higher in the Biochem/Bio part than my last retake. He has instilled in me a routine, which I read newspapers like the economist and the Atlantic. Jack puts his heart into teaching and makes sure every single student understands his technique; he doesn’t end class until everyone in the group chat understands. He always ends his class time past the prescribed “ending time” cited on his website- sometimes by 2 hours! He offers Office Hours as well, so you’re not getting short changed. I guarantee that if you follow his technique you will improve and beat the evil weed out section of the Mcat--Verbal. I took the SAT/ACT 6 times and have scored around the 500’s for Reading Comprehension. Being an Hispanic student, where English was my second language, I knew the verbal was going to be a challenging. However, as fate had it and coming across this SDN page, I’m forever grateful for Jack, his technique and enthusiasm that I’m actually given the opportunity to be a competitive applicant and apply to medical school.

Jack truly fits the mentor role by giving life advice in class, helping with Personal statements, secondarys, and interviews
    Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 2.53.32 PM.png

[​IMG]

#101 dg13e, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  2. nonamechemist

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    CARS went from 122 (22%) last year to 126 (74%) this year. I almost cried!!!!!! It took me a year to regain confidence, get back into studying, take Jack's class, and face this monster again. This was my biggest hurdle and wrecked my confidence. I thought it was impossible to improve, you know how the mcat is. I voided once last year and the May one so this was my last chance this year. My AAMC registration page had words in BIG RED saying something like be mindful that this is you last chance. As an ESL student who struggled so much with verbal, the 4 points really made a world of difference to me. Jack is very knowledgeable about the AAMC materials and truly motivating. He makes sure that you do well so even after my session was over, he was still helping me. He also offered help with my personal statement and secondaries. I highly recommend this class, if you put in the work and give yourself some time, you can do it too! I was having a full-time, a part-time, 3 volunteering positions this past year while studying for it. It was hard and I almost thought I could not make it. I'm so thankful right now!!

3. _NM_

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My experience before/after Jack's course:

I took the old MCAT in 2014 and prepared with Princeton Review. While I did well in the sciences, I got an 8 on Verbal. I had been scoring between 9-10 on practice exams and had never felt confident in the strategy I was taught, so I was disappointed, but not that surprised by my score. I eventually decided to retake the MCAT. This spring, I took a prep course with Kaplan, and although I liked their strategy for CARs better than PR, I still did not feel that confident in it and did not see much of an improvement in my score.

I was looking for different strategies online when I came across Jack's website. I signed up for the free trial class and loved it! After taking Jack's course, CARs is now my favorite section (and that means a lot coming from me lol). Jack's method is really logical and regardless of whether or not you understand a passage, if you do things the way he wants you to, you will probably get most of the questions right. And that's what I was looking for: a strategy that I could rely on, no matter what. While I haven't retaken the MCAT yet, I scored a 128 on a practice exam I took after 4 classes, which is the highest that I have ever scored.

What I think of Jack as a tutor:

Jack is an amazing teacher, and he's very clear about what you need to do in order to do well. If you listen to him, you will improve! He also cares about how you do in his course. If he sees you struggling, he'll work with you during office hours. Jack's class is the closest thing to a miracle for people looking to increase their verbal score. I really loved him as a tutor (I wish he also taught sciences). Honestly I can't think of anything negative to say about him or his course.

What I think about the online class style:

I really liked that the course was online and I didn't have to leave my room lol. You would think that 3 hours of just a CARs class would be awful, but his class is so engaging that you don't realize how quickly the time passes.

Final thoughts:

If you do the homework Jack assigns, you WILL improve! I know it sounds too good to be true, so all I can say is that if you're even a little bit interested, I would recommend taking his free trial class. You'll see what I mean. And for what it's worth, taking his course was the best decision I made to improve my CARs score and was worth every single penny.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. comnm

When I first got an 8 on the verbal section (old “CARS”) of the MCAT, I thought that it was a fluke. I had done so well on the practice tests from the prep companies and I figured that it must have just been a set of bad passages. I started studying again immediately. Again, I did very well on the practice tests (scoring 11 or 12 consistently) and went in confidently to write my test. One month later, I found out that this time, I received a 6.

Whether it was test nerves or practical approach, I knew that I needed help and signed up for a course with Jack. If I can sum up my experience in that course, it’s made obvious by my MCAT scores. I went from a 6 (aka a 123 on the new MCAT) to a 128 in CARS - 5 points within three months! Jack completely changed the way that I was reading and helped me realize that the strategies the prep companies put out there do not work for the actual MCAT! Jack will work with you and give you a step by step formula for tackling CARS. His strategy can be used for the Science section as well so it will boost your overall score all around. He is responsive, analytical and willing to give you individual attention to help you reach your goals.

Almost everyone I know has struggled with verbal so if you’re in this boat, know that you’re not alone and know that help is readily available. I wish that I had realized that I needed help after writing the MCAT once but you live and you learn! I’m so glad that I at least eventually accepted my situation and turned to this course. I’m finally confident about the MCAT score I’ll be sending in! Thanks Jack!

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 7.20.31 PM.png

5. CanadianHere

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone!

So I took Jack’s May 2016 course and it was one of the best decisions I’ve made. Jack was very methodical in teaching his strategy, which made CARS simple and easy to understand. I remember last year when I took the exam, I had no idea how to approach the passages and questions. I often just speed-read the passages and answered the questions on gut feeling. You won’t be doing that after taking Jack’s course! By using his strategies, you’ll know for certain which answer’s the best choice. His strategy also works for the science + psych sections as well. That said, you’ll need lots of practice. You’ll need to become comfortable with his strategy and once you do, everything will seem easier.

Structure of course: During lectures, we would go through a few passages together using the strategy. Be prepared to read and answer questions, because Jack will ask you to do so during class. I think this is great because you can see what you're doing wrong right there and then. Another benefit is so you'll see how other students read the passages and answer questions, and learn from their mistakes. After each lecture, you'll be given homework (either a few passages or a full practice test) from the AAMC coursepacks to do before the next lecture. This will help you consolidate the strategy and work on your timing.

About Jack: He really cares about his students. He wants each and every one of us to succeed, and will help us achieve our goals to the best of his abilities. He will help you not only in CARS, but also in personal essays. Just now he gave me pointers on how to improve my University of Toronto essays. Use his service. You won't regret it.

Note for Canadians: CARS will be the ONE obstacle you’ll have to overcome to gain admissions. You will need at least a 128 to be competitive for most schools, but that’ll be so hard to accomplish if you don’t know how to approach CARS the right way. With Jack's help, I improved from a 505 to a 517 (12 point improvement). My CARS went from a 124 to a 128, while my science and psych sections (all 127) improved to 129 (physics/chem), 131 (bio), and 129 (psych).
    Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 12.10.22 PM.png

#105 CanadianHere, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Camou_Cat likes this.
  6. ephemeralsunshine

ephemeralsunshine this is more stressful than I thought
    Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Jack's course is truly phenomenal. After getting a 509 the first time, I was in a downwards spiral. I restudied two months in the summer and my score jumped to 522. Jack's course was fundamental in not only giving a specific noteworthy strategy, but also getting me in the mindset and motivating me. After all, I did spend the money for his course. But I'm glad I did; it paid off and now, if all else goes well, I'll be applying next cycle. Few pointers when you're taking his course:

1) attend all lectures
    2) do his assignments as often as he says to do it

I unfortunately only used his strategy for half my CARS section and I still had a 3 point increase! The reason I did so, because the weeks leading up to the test, I wasn't able to practice as often as he suggested with the right materials. Even on the practice test, before using his strategy, i got a 126 and after using his strategy I got a 129. It's also not a simple strategy, it's one that is constantly reinforced throughout the course. By the end of it, I was hearing Jack's voice as I did each passage. I wish I did ALL the assignments he had suggested for an even higher score, as opposed to just most of them.

If you don't think it's within reach, definitely take his course. Blind practice doesn't work, I've tried it a bunch! For the other sections, his strategy I took it with a grain of salt, but he got me in the mindset for preparation... Half the test is you knowing you have the tools to succeed and the other half is the tools (i.e. Jack's course).

Also, I want to stress I took I have took Princeton last year (6 months before my first time) and their Verbal strategy is trash. Take his course seriously and I'm sure you will hit 96th percentile. Be honest with him and ask all the questions. Engage yourself in the course even if that means you'll be the one "raising your hand" all the time.

Scores.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #106 ephemeralsunshine, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Camou_Cat and FlyMissMD93 like this.
  7. bobeanie95

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am writing this review in hopes of helping anyone decide whether to take Jack Westin’s Course. I know when I was considering taking the course I read through multiple reviews, so I am hoping this could help make up your decision. This is an unbiased review as a past student. I am including a screenshot of my score to show that I am recent test taker.

A little bit about the course:

It is a 6 week course, with one session per week. Yes, the course is very expensive. If money is an issue, maybe consider other options before you invest in something like this. If money isn’t an issue then by all means sign up. Please note that signing up or taking part in this course will not guarantee you a great score. You first need to put in tons of works and practice to see any results. Additionally, you could spend hours practicing and things just don’t work out too great on test day. This is what happened to me, I put in a lot of hours and my CARS score improved to around a 128/85% on the scored/unscored AAMC material. Unfortunately on test day I scored a 125. My experience is only to inform you that investing your money does NOT guarantee results, so don’t expect a magical solution by signing up.

However, if you are willing to put in the work and time then you can greatly benefit from Jack. The course is great in that it gives you a plan on how to tackle CARS passages. The great thing about the course is that prompts you to ask yourself the right questions and think logically when reading a passage. I found this very helpful, as I am an ESL student and a lot of times I would read passages without having an attack plan. The class is great to guide you in the right direction.

Jack is great all around. He is supportive and his lectures are well organized. If you have any questions, he will not hesitate to explain himself over and over until you get it. He was also kind enough to meet with me privately to help with my CARS weaknesses. Also, he offers multiple office hours a week at free of charge which is tremendously helpful. I strongly recommend Jack’s course if you want to strengthen your MCAT test taking skills. Definitely sign up for a free trial session if you are considering the course. Good luck!

Attached Files:

8. CavsFan2016

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Jack's course was fantastic. It helped me approach not only the CARS section, but the test as a whole. I raised my score from a 27 on the old MCAT to a 517 on the new MCAT 4 months after taking Jack's course. He gives you the tools you need to approach the exam, but its really up to you to take advantage of the information he gives you and make it work for you.

Studying and reviewing practice passages and questions outside of the course is fundamental to your success. He is not going to baby you through everything, and there's really not a simple solution to doing well on the MCAT. However, Jack is able to show you a viable, realistic approach towards the MCAT that takes a lot of the anxiety and suffocation away from studying for the exam. If you are willing to put in the work, this course will really help you achieve your goals.

I would recommend this course to anyone who has the motivation and true desire to conquer the MCAT.

9. Gh-blaze

Pre-Medical
    I'm writing this review about Jack Westin's CARS course, and perhaps help you in your decision to sign up or not. To begin, I admit, just like you probably are right now, I was very skeptical. Which other course can you find hundreds of 5* reviews for? After taking the trial I knew the course was right for me. The interactive group sessions were very appealing right from the get go. Being in a classroom with other like minded individuals going through the same struggles you are, all in the convenience of your own home, is truly remarkable. Anyways, as soon as the trial ended, the fun and games were over. This course is not magic. I repeat, this course is not magic. Don't take it if you expect to improve overnight or without hours a day of practice. CARS is a skill, and if you're not fortunate enough to be born with it, you'll have to put in the time. Luckily though, you have Jack by your side to guide you the entire time. He's patient, respectable, kind, and genuinely caring. Despite the number of people in the class, he'll really get to know you, as well as your strengths and weakness in order to provide personalized feedback. The best part is, you definitely get more than is advertised on the site. Starting from the middle of the course onwards, I'd hear Jack's voice almost everyday in "office hours." Here we'd reinforce concepts learned in class and go through additional practice material at a slower pace, which I really found helpful. For me, the hardest part was not focusing on the score. Throughout the months I spent practicing my scores were so varied, and I often felt anxious and worried. Jack's support helped me overcome these fears, and focus on the learning, rather than the score. When I took the official scored practice exam I returned with a 124 in CARS. I was heartbroken, I knew I could do better but couldn't understand why. Once again taking Jack's advice, I put aside all that emotional baggage, looked at my mistakes, and reviewed, reviewed, and reviewed. At the end of the day, no practice test is completely accurate, and the only score that really matters is the one you get on test day. With Jack's help I got a 521 (and a 129 in CARS) after writing the MCAT for the first time. I wish you all the best of luck, and without doubt, I recommend Jack Westin CARS.

Attached Files:

SD95 and Camou_Cat like this.
  10. marky_mark123

Hi guys,

I’ve been meaning to write this review for a while now. I was in Jack’s class in January 2016 and I am proud to say that my CARS score increased 2 points! While this may not seem like a lot to some, this was a huge jump for me and I give much thanks to Jack and the methods he preached. It does in fact take a lot of time and effort on our part but Jack gives you all of the resources and tools you need to succeed.

I will be the first to admit I was skeptical to sign up for an online course but after reading all of these awesome reviews from REAL students, I knew that this would be a great decision.

If you are serious about increasing your verbal score and even re-learning how to read and approach different materials – this is a great start. I would recommend Jack Westin’s course to any one of my own friends who were interested in increasing their MCAT scores.

Just as an added bonus, Jack even gave me advice on my application and I am proud to say I will be attending medical school this fall. If you have any questions, please contact me here.

Thank you.

11. premedMCATott2016

Pre-Medical
    I took my Mcat twice. The first time I had scored 123 in the CARS section with above 90th percentile in ALL other sections. Naturally, this was extremely frustrating... I had always been bad at CARS .. I had tried private tutoring, other CARS specific courses... nothing was helping.

So the second time around, I had a friend who took Jack's course so I decided to take it and I am so happy I did. Jack was extremely attentive. He pinpointed my weaknesses and helped me work on them. Not only did he give me opportunities in class to improve my weaknesses but he also Skyped with me individually and gave me the attention I needed.
    Jacks strategy is perfect for people who know think like science students it is methodical and straightforward. He knows the MCAT better than everyone I have met.

In addition to being a phenomenal CARS tutor, Jack is there to help you through the medical school process. I have certainly spoken with him about issues beyond the MCAT and Jack is super open and knowledgable.

12. amag

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When I think of the word “MCAT” or “CARS”, I automatically associate it with Jack Westin. If you are even thinking about taking or re-taking the MCAT and have not checked out Jack’s online MCAT CARS course, do so right now! This is hands-down the best prep course I have ever taken! Words cannot even begin to describe how helpful this course was.

I was referred to Jack by a friend who was a year ahead of me in school. Both of us are very strong students and had great GPAs, but we struggled with the CARS section (or “Verbal Reasoning” section at the time for her) of the MCAT. I had previously taken the MCAT in August 2015 and wanted to improve my score. After contacting Jack and attending his trial session, I was hooked on his method. Jack’s unique approach to the MCAT CARS section is unprecedented and extremely intuitive (with practice of course). While I cannot speak for Jack’s other students, just looking at the testimonials written about Jack and the CARS course are enough to prove that his method is tried and true!

I formally completed Jack’s CARS course in June 2016 and continued studying on my own using Jack’s technique, applying it to my every day reading in addition to my MCAT studies. Not only did my MCAT CARS practices sections improve greatly, but so did my general understanding of anything I read. Jack really teaches you how to approach a passage and quickly and effectively break it down into what you need to know. I planned to re-take the MCAT in August 2016, but life got in the way and I ended up pushing the test to January 2017.

Throughout my MCAT studies, Jack’s technique proved to be invaluable. While practicing, I could hear Jack’s voice telling me how to approach the passage and how to dissect the questions. Not only can it be applied to CARS, but his method works well for any passage-type question on the MCAT in the sciences and psychology sections. I immediately noticed a radical increase in my scores, in individual sections and overall. And this was confirmed when I received my scores in February 2017. Not only did my CARS score improve by 40 percentile points, but every section on my exam improved as well!

I cannot even begin to thank Jack enough for all that he has taught me! Not only is Jack extremely friendly, patient, and helpful, but he also truly cares about each and every one of his students. Jack ensures that every question is answered, every email is replied to, and that every student walks away from his class feeling more confident and more prepared to tackle the MCAT than before. Jack devotes time to improving his classes and course site to ensure that everything runs smoothly and that every lecture is just as effective, if not more than, the previous lecture. After every lecture Jack stays online for a few hours devoted to Office Hours where students can ask questions, review passages, or just to chat with Jack about whatever is on their minds! He is a treasure-trove of knowledge, for both medical school and life (and basketball)! Jack even sets aside time to meet with students individually about their personal statements and other application-related questions!

Jack’s method is easy to internalize, providing you keep up with the course, attend the sessions, and ask questions when needed. There is weekly homework for your benefit, as all of the homework comes straight from AAMC written passages and questions. Jack can easily help you achieve your goal, but you have to put in the effort as well. Jack can teach you how to approach and breakdown a passage and questions, but he cannot force you to practice it. If you take advantage of Jack and everything he teaches, you will not regret your decision one bit!

If after reading this you are considering taking Jack’s MCAT CARS course, you are already taking a step closer in the right direction to improving your MCAT score and beginning your medical career.

13. Gabystar

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Prior to taking Jack’s course, I felt very insecure about the CARS section on the MCAT. I felt like the more I practiced, the more I would overthink it and my score would drop. I experimented with a bunch of methods, but none of them quite stuck. Jack’s strategy was very comfortable and easy to grasp. Going into the exam, I felt secure in the steps I would take to tackle this section. I no longer felt that nervous unease, and I didn’t waste time second guessing my strategy. I had a solid plan of action that I was confident in, and it was great! On the old MCAT I scored a 9, and after his course I scored a 127 on the new MCAT. I’m not sure what the difference is in score, but I can say that in addition to improving my score, the confidence I carried into the following sections was just as much worth it. The MCAT aims to psych you out, and if you end the CARS section anxious and insecure, there’s a likely chance you’ll be thrown off for the remainder of the exam. This course gave me the stamina never to look back, and I felt a million times better.

On another note, the “homework” outside of class time is extensive, so I strongly urge you to make sure you have at least a couple hours a day that you can dedicate solely to CARS before signing up for this course. You have to be dedicated to improving your score. Personally, I recommend taking a few practice tests (from other companies, which although they’re not very indicative of AAMC CARS, are the closest you’ve got without wasting an AAMC exam before you’re ready) to see what you have to work with and how you feel before you commit to a course like this.

Additionally, Jack has also been very motivational and knowledgeable, and is always eager to help even outside of your course. He makes you feel extremely comfortable from the get go, and truly inspires you to do your best. Thanks Jack :)

14. I came to Jack when I got to the point where I did not know who or what to turn to for CARS help. I struggled with the MCAT CARS before and had to postpone taking it again because my scores weren't nearly as good as I wanted them to be. I searched and found Jack online as a resource that helped with CARS specifically. I quickly joined and his course changed the way I looked at CARS and gave me a different perspective on approaching CARS. I began to read things properly absorbing the necessary information I needed and eventually was able to answer questions without looking back at the passage. My preparation lasted beyond the allotted class schedule. However, Jack had alumni hours to where you can continue doing practice and ask questions even after the class. He is really helpful in any situation and gives advice for other sections as well as the application process. I highly recommend Jack if you are struggling with CARS and need a shift in perspective on how to read and answer questions.

15. FightMilk

Pre-Medical
    Jack's course was great and I highly recommend his as a MCAT CARS tutor. He gives a clear methodical strategy that works with the verbal section and helps mold your thinking to align with the new version of the MCAT exam. He helps emphasize how the test is not a measure of intelligence but a measure of critical thinking and test-taking skills. He is very clear of what he wants from his students and is very easy to reach. After taking his course, and putting in a lot of work, I was able to increase my score from a 508 (77th percentile) to a 518 (97th percentile). I took the MCAT a second time after an unsuccessful application cycle. My verbal score increased from a 124 to a 128. My scores on the other sections increased as well and I attached screenshots of the scores.

While I do believe my overall score would have increased regardless due to taking the exam a second time, Jack's course was responsible for the majority of the increase, especially for the verbal section. He does assign a significant amount of homework, but it helps immensely. I reached out to him because I could not seem to find a way to attack the verbal section after my first attempt and tons and tons of practice (burned through most materials out there, the majority of the verbal workbooks).

I recommend taking the course the 6 weeks before you begin studying for the MCAT. While his course is extremely helpful, he helped change the way I think about this exam and the time this may take varies from person to person. It is important to note that I took the MCAT a week after the course ended but I felt that if I had the time in my schedule and plans to take the MCAT much later, the sky would have been the limit.

Regardless, his course helped me within a relatively short time frame. While the course may be a considerable cost, if you put the work in and communicate openly with him, your score should increase. I am very happy I made the decision to take the course on such short notice and feel confident applying next cycle.

Attached Files:

16. bnw18

Pre-Medical
    Hey All,

Before taking Jack's class, my perspective on MCAT CARS was all wrong. I tried the methods recommended by traditional test prep companies such as Examkrackers and Kaplan, but found them to be super convoluted and unintuitive. Jack knows what you need to do to get a higher score, and his advice really helped me improve my scores (which I have included below). All of the scores are from tests I took after completing the course. I don't have a pre-class score, but I was getting sometimes up to 4 questions wrong per passage.

Jack is extremely passionate about his students and class. He was always available to answer questions or provide advice. Personally, I did not utilize all methods from the class but he does share/teach methods that can help anyone improve. His knowledge about how the AAMC writes their questions/ what they care about is invaluable and was the key to helping me better understand the test, which led to my great score on test day. He really understands this section of the test and helps his students better understand it as well, which is why this class is so valuable.

I highly recommend Jack and his CARS class. Feel free to reach out with any questions you might have about the course.

Sample Test:
    upload_2017-6-15_14-25-37.png
    Practice Test 1:
    upload_2017-6-15_14-25-56.png
    Practice Test 2:
    upload_2017-6-15_14-24-46.png
    Real MCAT:
    upload_2017-6-15_14-26-17.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.