MCAT CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BufordHighwayMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've currently worked my way through the first six passages on the first AAMC CARS Qbank set. I have a May 6th test date and would like to pair up with anybody online as I work my way through doing two verbal passages a day. I was going to pull the trigger and sign up for an expensive CARS program but I decided against doing that. I'm going to do my best to improve on this section.

We would finish AAMC passages alone at different times and then meet up (Google Hangout, email, ...) to compare our highlighting techniques and ask the logic behind any questions that we struggled with. I'm currently trying to figure out how to read actively while highlighting as little useful information as possible.

Feel free to also share any useful CARS information here.

Members don't see this ad.

I was that student that never knew why I was failing the CARS section when I would always walk out of the test feeling like I aced that section. I was that student that always thought CARS is something you cannot study for. I was also that student that took the test twice and got a 123 both times. The only thing I did differently when taking the test the third time around was that I practiced with more stringent time conditions and with many passages. You should try Jack Westin's tutoring if you haven't already or practice rigorously with multiple resources, spending a lot of time analyzing why you got questions wrong. Remember its all about the main idea and reading the passages in a right way. I also took the passages and pasted them onto a microsoft doc and zoomed out to 120% and practice with this zoomed setting so that I can stimulate the real mcat testing situation. I did it!!! I finally broke the 123 barrier and got a 127. The reason why I am saying this is I was extremely depressed that my score was 123 for the longest time and taking the test a third time was a lot of pressure, but I still managed to improve so don't lose hope! A bit about me…I took the mcat at the end of sophomore year summer after 3 months of studying and got a 26. I took the new version of the mcat having studied for an additional 3 more months and got a 502 (26 again). The third time I took the test I got a 506 (29) and now I'm getting ready to apply! So don't lose hope or get overwhelmed by the # of posts with 510+ because statistics show that there is only 33% of the population getting that score and much lower percentages for scores that are 520+. Only people who do well post so don't let that bother you. Just keep practicing! Good luck future physicians!!! :)