MCAT CBT format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeHarley

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the MCAT on computer coming up in a couple of weeks. I noticed that the tutorial they emailed me did not mention any of the most useful functions that are on the aamc online practice tests:

-Highlighting text in passages
-Eliminating answer choices
-Adding notes to passages

It seems to me that if we are not able to do these things simply in the real-deal computer based format, then we are at a distinct disadvantage relative to those taking the paper test.

Anyone have any info or thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

place said:
I was not aware that the MCAT was offered on the computer. Just paper until 2007

You can register for and take it in either format now (I am registered for the computer based exam on the 16th!), and in 2007 you will ONLY have the option to take it on computer.

ONLY on computer....I dont know how i feel about that. As much as i hate taking the paper version and waiting for 6 weeks for my scores to get back...i would be a lot more comfortable taking a paper version. What has our world come to?

Members don't see this ad :)
JakeHarley said:
I am taking the MCAT on computer coming up in a couple of weeks. I noticed that the tutorial they emailed me did not mention any of the most useful functions that are on the aamc online practice tests:

-Highlighting text in passages
-Eliminating answer choices
-Adding notes to passages

It seems to me that if we are not able to do these things simply in the real-deal computer based format, then we are at a distinct disadvantage relative to those taking the paper test.

Anyone have any info or thoughts on this?

I am in the same boat. If we can't highlight things or eliminate choices, then we are at a disadvantage. But look at the positive side, the CBT will save you at least 5 minutes b/c we won't be bubbling in the answers on the scantron, not to mention the several advantages in the essay the section (not that the essay section really matters).

I wrote to the folks administering the CBT MCAT this spring, here it is:

I am having trouble finding answers to these questions about the April
computer based MCAT (my confirm#xxxxxxxxxxxx):

1) Will we have the ability to highlight text in the passages and
cross out answers as we can on the AAMC online practice exams? I did
not see this functionality in the tutorial that was sent out
previously.

2) Will we be provided with scratch paper?

Thanks for your help,

Jake Choiniere

RESPONSE:

Dear MCAT Examinee:

You will not be able to highlight text, however scratch paper will be provided.

Regards,

MCAT CBT Program Office

So that answers that question...

Last edited: