MCAT chat this weekend????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
alright guys
So enough of you have been asking and trying to get a chat thing going to discuss MCAT stuff. I am throwing this idea out. . . .this weekend looks good. So, I am starting this thread hoping that sombody will take the initiative and say they wanna meet. I know PDiM wants to chat. . . who else is up???

Remember: if you are coming, BRING YOUR QUESTIONS. This is NOT a review time, but simply a time to tighten up some loose ends etc. And if you need me, I will try being there myself but I don't promise. Now let's hear the MCAT kiddes roar!!!!!!

WHO WANTS TO JOIN? :D

Members don't see this ad.

COUNT ME IN

I'm guessing most of us will be doing a practice test on saturday, so sat is probably out.

Friday afternoon? Sunday?

If I had to choose a topic to go over, I'd say organic chem, but anything is cool with me, really.

:)

i'm up for the session...
sat. night or sun. night would work best for me.
someone needs to give me instructions though on how to get in the chat room....not really familiar with sdn....

julie

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be into a discussion if it could happen on Sunday night. Saturday is aamc IV for me, so i'll be fried on sat.

As far as a topic, we could probably discuss a few, but I have a particular interest in getting a better understanding of the photoelectric effect...seems to be a pretty common topic for the mcat and can involve various aspects of physics/chemistry.

Count me in. I'll be taking AAMC IV tomorrow so I'll have some stuff to talk about. Early Sat or Fri night would work for me but I'm flexible. Getting help on the MCAT seems a little more important then getting trashed.

awesome response guys
Although I would still like to hear from a few more kids . .. . .the more the people, the better quality of questions there will be.

Looking at other people's schedules, I think Sunday would work best for you all. Now, the timing it up to you guys.

Hey, what a great idea! I'm taking a PR test on Saturday, but Sunday night would be good. I'm up for anything physics all the way.

I hope I'm not raining on a parade here, but it might be better to do it in a forum (rather than chat), so that the questions, answers, and insights are stored for people to see and review later. It's a GREAT idea to meet, but what about doing it in threads... so the dialogue can be recorded?

I started a new thread with the first topic that was tossed out here.

Originally posted by Mr. Z
As far as a topic, we could probably discuss a few, but I have a particular interest in getting a better understanding of the photoelectric effect...seems to be a pretty common topic for the mcat and can involve various aspects of physics/chemistry.

See the new thread:

Photoelectric effect thread

This sounds like a great idea... I agree with Mudd...I think a thread would work better so that people can ask and answer the questions on their own time.

Or, we could have a thread and a decided time to chat also....

Here's one of my questions, sorta specific to EK users:

In EK Physics, they talk about Inclined planes, and the resultant to the vector sum of weight and normal force is ALWAYS mgsin0.
Is it really this easy?

Also, how would friction factor into this....

Thanks for any help.

h4m

Yep, incline planes should be that easy. The idea is basically this:

• The only two forces that don't cancel out are a component of gravity and friction. The normal force is cancelled out by the the component of gravity perpendicular to the surface, so they are just ignored. Kinetic friction opposes the direction of motion, which happens to be parallel to the surface (and thus parallel to the normal force). The result is that the component of gravity parallel to the surface (mgsin?) and friction (in the same line but opposite direction) dictate the motion. Any net acceleration is just the difference of these two components.

I'm not sure if this is the EK way, but it falls out from using force diagrams enough times that it becomes pattern recognition. I believe the force diagram approach is common to all of the review materials I have seen. The above approach is the BR method, which sound spretty much like the conceptual norm.

Hey, how exactly do the chat rooms on SDN work?? I tried entering one of the rooms to see and was a little inept.....