MCAT Course: Online or Classroom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruins2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm wanting to take an MCAT Prep Class...but with my schedule, I am going to be forced to do this during the summer. But the problem is, where I live has no Kaplan or Princeton Review center. Do you get the same benefit from the online course as the classroom? I know if I take the course with a full class load, I will not devote as much time to it as I need to.

Members don't see this ad.

Something I have heard that may be well worth your time is self-study. For less than the price of a review course (up to $1800), you could invest in one or two quality MCAT review books ($100-150 each). You know what you need to study and what your best method of studying is.

The only difference between an online course and a classroom course is where you take the lesson. For the online, you watch lessons on your computer. For the classroom, you are taught by a teacher of varying quality. However, the time commitment is the same. If you don't have time for a classroom course, then you probably won't have time for an online course. Furthermore, since you don't have much time, you should wait until your summer break to study for the MCAT. Studying for the MCAT with a full course load is never a good idea.

I'm definitely planning on doing it during the summer (possibly with a job at a hospital, but not that many hours/week). I know I couldn't do it with a full load of classes with labs. Thanks for the advice!