MCAT Courses - QUESTION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Univ. advisor emphasized that:

Human Morphology
Microbiology
Biochemistry
Genetics

Are courses I NEED to take before the MCAT. She called them "MCAT" classes. If I have all my true Pre-Med requirements in the bag before MCAT, are these REALLY needed? I.e. Topics covered on MCAT that are NOT covered in Physics/Bio/Chem/OChem?

I will eventually take some courses as electives, so I don't want this to be in regard to whether or not BioChem is helpful for med students. I simply am asking about topics NEEDED for MCAT. I imagine they can't hurt, per se, but if they don't help, I want to focus on MCAT courses first.

I personally think my advisor is wrong. And will await some replies here.

Thanks
D712

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Personally the only courses I had under my belt before the MCAT was Bio, gen chem and organic chem. I don't think those courses you listed are necessary at all to do really well. The material for the MCAT is basic anyway, it just requires tons of practice.

interesting, so, no physics when you took the MCAT? were you happy with your score?

The only physics I had prior to the MCAT was grade 11. I would've preferred if I had taken a first year course but I just spent a couple weeks before my Princeton course reviewing physics. I ended up with 34, so i was pretty happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
You certainly don't "need" to take those classes in order to do well on the MCAT.

Of the ones that you listed, I had only taken Microbio and Biochem, only the latter which was helpful on the MCAT. I will admit, though, that having taken biochemistry helped out a lot on one of the passages, but was certainly not necessary to do well.

Here's my two cents:

-Take HUMAN/MAMMALIAN PHYSIOLOGY: it'll cover a TON of stuff that MCAT Bio requires
-Take Biochem. if you can. The class I believe is quite tough, but I hear the MCAT Biological Science sections are becoming "BioChem" like, instead of pure bio, and pure organic chem.

Aside from those two, take electives and focus on MCAT through MCAT books specifically.

You only need Introductory Biology course to do well on the BS section. But I would say, from my own experience, that Physiology class would have been dead useful before MCAT.
Oh, and make sure you finish all your pre-reqs before preparing for the MCAT.

Here are the additional courses I would recommend:

Physio, Genetics, and Biochem.

Plus, have all your prereq classes.

Those extra classes will help you some but mostly you need to be able to read the passage and apply it to the questions.

Sometimes, no matter how many extra classes you had, they ask such convoulted things in passages it is hard to get the info you need and understand it fully.

Reading comp is more important than anything on the MCAT. That's what gets you a high score.