MCAT curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mansoor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey this thread is for people to comment on the academic courses they took (in college), and whether or not it helped them on the MCAT. Is it worth spending an entire semester to take these courses, just for a few measly questions on the MCAT? Or were these courses invaluable, and you're very thankful/wish you had taken them. I have compiled a list of some of the common ones. Any other suggestions/comments are welcome. I haven't taken most yet, so i don't have any comments. Any MCAT veterans, please post your opinions.

• Human Anatomy
    Human/Mammalian Physiology
    Genetics
    Cell Bio
    Microbiology
    Biochem I
    Biochem II
    Biochem Lab
    Biological Ecosystems
    Developmental Biology
    Physical Chemistry I
    Physical Chemistry II
    Literary Analysis/Argumentation
    Argumentative Writing
    Philosophy

Tack on any other courses you think of.

Members don't see this ad.

It's just my opinion, but I recommend Anatomy and Physiology. Seems to me that a lot of the Bio in BioSciences is A&P, and I think you'll, at the very least, be at an advantage over someone who hasn't taken them.

Good luck.

I would take either Biochem or one of the writing/lit courses. But if it's not part of your requirements, don't bother. It won't really help you THAT much; you will still be able to reason out the answer. It's just that if you take biochem, for example, you will sort of "skip some steps" in the reasoning process. I hope that makes sense.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Mansoor:

• Human Anatomy
    Human/Mammalian Physiology x
    Genetics x
    Cell Bio x
    Microbiology
    Biochem I x
    Biochem II
    Biochem Lab
    Biological Ecosystems
    Developmental Biology
    Physical Chemistry I x
    Physical Chemistry II
    Literary Analysis/Argumentation
    Argumentative Writing
    Philosophy

Tack on any other courses you think of.•••••No doubt, these four are the most important.

Pchem is really useful for the physical sciences section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking extra courses soley for the MCAT is silly in my opinion. There is such a wealth of classes at most colleges/universities and you will probably not have an opportunity like this again in your life. You do not need anything extra above the basic reqs to do well on the MCAT.

That said, I was a biochem major and really only found that *maybe* taking biochem helped out a bit. But was not needed.

Of the courses listed I took Microbiology, Genetics, Biochem I and II and pulled off a 14 on the Biological Sciences on the April 2002 MCAT. Of these courses I think Genetics was the most valuable and will be even more valuable come April 2003 MCAT when Genetics will be emphasized even more. The physiology on the MCAT is very,very BASIC. I believe if you study the physiology section in Kaplan's big red book early you'll be set. Do not feel obligated to take Physiology, Anatomy, etc. because it really will not serve that much of an advantage. Remeber MCAT is much more of a thinking test not a knowledge one. Studying Kaplan's big red book and taking TPR or Kaplan's course for review materials will be much more beneficial. :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Bikini Princess:
Originally posted by Mansoor:
[qb]

Pchem is really useful for the physical sciences section.•••••I took pchem at my school, and it was really not very useful at all. the entropy/free energy stuff that we covered (which was the ONLY relavent material) was also covered in adequate detain in general chem class, so i wouldnt recommend taking this course just for that. i guess it depends on the school you go to.