iPremed

10+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys!

I have signed up for the May 27th MCAT exam. However, I would probably benefit from having more time and taking the one on June 17th. This would mean I get my results around July 20th.

My GPA is below average and that is why I am worried. My GPA will be a 3.2 sci and 3.3/3.4 overall. I realize that applying early is really important in my circumstance.

Will the June 17th one put me at a significant disadvantage though? Assume my EC's are average to above average. I will be applying to MD and DO schools.

Although I have been reading from the TBR physics/orgo/gchem books and EK Bio/verbal, I haven't had much of a chance to do many practice problems.

I have only taken a kaplan diagnostic so far and received a 22 - 11 V, 7 PS, and 4 BS. I am taking a 20 credit hour course load so that I could bring up my GPA adequately but it is taking a toll on my MCAT time.

Thanks!

DrSmday

7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2010
Cali
Status
Pre-Medical
my advice would be to take the mcat on may 27th.. you still have quiet a bit of time to study, so just concentrate and you'll be ok... with your stats its better to apply as early as possible and, IMO, even the 2.5 weeks between your two score release dates could affect your chances greatly...

This is just my opinion, I don't think you should reschedule unless you are very close to the exam date and you don't feel ready at all... may 27 is almost 2 months away... just study and get it over with

Good luck!

iPremed

10+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for responding!

My concern with waiting to switch dates is that the June one will fill up. I won't be able to study much for it this week or during finals week which gives me about 5-6 weeks of studying left. Would this be enough? My target score is 32 to make up for the low gpa and to improve my chances for DO schools.

Kouger86

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
OP, I have the same GPA and am signed for the same date. I'm not in school but I am working full time. So, I'm pretty much in the same situation. Trying to get a 30+.

I've thought about postponing but have come to realize that I just need to take it, see how I do, and if I don't get in this year, I will have to accept that fact, regroup, and study again.

The only thing I almost have on my side is timing. So, I'm gonna make sure I apply early and hope for the best.

My advice to you and myself is to not slack off, study as efficiently as possible, and hope for the best.

LALAKERS24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2008
Status
I am also in a similar situation with similar stats as the OP. I have solely finished Content Review with TPR, but am now (today) starting to practice with questions with the TPRH Workbook and Kaplan online material(wish I would have practiced while studying, but I feel OK at this point...) Is a June 17th date THAT detrimental to the MCAT application cycle (considering similar stats as OP)? I figured I would need the extra 3 weeks or so to practice now and then take and review FL's....

Lastly, I've read the tips and suggestions to have the AMCAS, Secondary applications, etc finished by the time MCAT scores are released, but I have one problem.... My pre-health advisor said she would NOT release my Personal Statement and LOR's (already completed) until she receives my MCAT score. Thus will this put me behind significantly in the application cycle? I want to apply early, but I believe a rock solid MCAT score is MUST in my situation.

Thank you all for your advice and time!

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Applying early is important, but doing your best on the MCAT is more important. If you absolutely feel that there is no way that you can do you best in May, move the test. But like others suggested, I'd wait a bit longer before rescheduling.