MCAT Debate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

pineapple

I got a 24 on the MCAT in August.

I've been accepted at LECOM-FL and LECOM-E, and paid my deposit at Erie. I'm just not so sure about the school.

I'm on the waitlist at UMDNJ-SOM, and that's my top choice.

Right now I'm thinking of retaking the MCAT on April 9. If it's higher, it might bump me up enough for automatic acceptance at UMDNJ (I have an 81/85 now). It it's a lot higher, maybe even for a scholarship there.

Also, if it's higher but I don't get into UMDNJ, I'm thinking of dropping the Erie acceptance and re-applying early decision to UMDNJ-SOM.

I just don't know what to do :(

I took the Kaplan class, so I figure I can tell them I wasn't happy with it and get the new books and computer password thing. Then I just wouldn't go to lecture (it's far away) and study it all on my own at home.

I was doing so well on Kaplan practice tests, and 24 is low for me ... I feel like my actual MCAT was a fluke and I could have done a lot better.

Thoughts? Am I being stupid, should I just take the Erie acceptance and run?

Members don't see this ad.

How well were you doing on the practice mcats?

27 to 28. Not great, but probably good enough to bump me up to the 85 points I need at UMDNJ-SOM, or very very close to it.

All of my friends from my Kaplan test took the MCAT at the same test center and got the same form, and we all bombed. One of my friends was getting 38-40 on each one, the other 35 or so consistently. They both got 21s! My form was EVIL.

UMDNJ-SOM is really the only school I want to go to. And all the LECOM bashing on SDN makes me nervous, to say the least...

Why do you want to be a doctor? You need to reasses your reasons for wanting to do this. Seems to me that if someone was interested in a school, they would research it first before applying and even sending them money. I'm not bashing you, but you got an acceptance and you are thinking of giving it up. :confused: I know the whole thing about going somewhere where you will be happy, but come on. You can't take everything someone else says for face value you gotta dig out the info on your own. Call Lecom and see what they have to offer, besides you owe yourself that much for sending in money already. Good luck with the decision!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you want to be a doctor?

I won't go into why I want to be a doctor...written too many essays on that already :laugh:.

You need to reasses your reasons for wanting to do this. Seems to me that if someone was interested in a school, they would research it first before applying and even sending them money.

Don't be condescending and assume I didn't research schools. I researched more than the average premed at my undergrad does, from listening to their discussions about applications and this entire process.

And don't assume that I don't reassess why I want to do this...I am constantly reassessing what would be the best fit at this point, and that's why I made this post. Things in my life have changed since I started researching schools this time last year. See below.

As for sending them money, I didn't even have a UMDNJ interview at the time I sent the deposit. Why wouldn't I send the money to the school I liked best post-interview, at the time???!

I'm not bashing you, but you got an acceptance and you are thinking of giving it up. :confused: I know the whole thing about going somewhere where you will be happy, but come on. You can't take everything someone else says for face value you gotta dig out the info on your own. Call Lecom and see what they have to offer, besides you owe yourself that much for sending in money already. Good luck with the decision!! :thumbup:

What it comes down to is that before my interviews all I knew about the schools is what I read. Of course schools try to make themselves look really good on paper. Feelings post-interview are entirely different, after getting to experience places first hand. Mainly, this comes from comparing schools and your experiences.

I thought LECOM-B was awesome until I interviewed at LECOM-E and noticed everything that LECOM-B was lacking in comparison. Then I was all about LECOM-E.

Then I interviewed at UMDNJ-SOM, and it blew LECOM-E out of the water. I also have friends at UMDNJ-SOM and my entire family is there. It seems so much better in my comparison that the concept of taking a year off and reapplying to them doesn't sound too bad. And this means that retaking the MCAT may be worth the effort. But that is still throwing away an acceptance, and you don't know what can change.

Also, since all this started I have entered a very serious relationship with a guy who will be tied down to Philly for school while I'm in med school. At the time I was starting the application process, that wasn't a consideration and I wouldn't mind moving to LECOM. Now it's a major consideration.

So now I'm faced with the decision of whether re-studying for the MCAT is the right decision, or if I should focus my energies elsewhere and hope for the best with UMDNJ. I only know the paper and pencil test, I'm not sure how much I'll have to relearn and change to do CBT. This would all be simpler if it was the same format, but with this new one I probably have to buy a whole new set of study materials and practice exams. That's a big commitment if I may end up getting into UMDNJ anyway.

Why did you bother applying to those schools if you had no intention of going? Be glad you got an acceptance somewhere, go, and don't waste a year of your life for something that might be pointless.

Why did you bother applying to those schools if you had no intention of going?

I didn't have no intention of going at the time. But now that I've seen the school and compared to others that I've visited in person, I'm not as impressed as I first was.

Be glad you got an acceptance somewhere, go, and don't waste a year of your life for something that might be pointless.

Well that's what I'm debating with myself. It might be a really stupid move to give it up. But after seeing LECOM in person compared to other schools, it might be worth it.

If you withdraw your acceptance from Erie and re-apply EDP next year to UMDNJ, you'll have to disclose that you've already been accepted to a medical school and then withdrew your acceptance. UMDNJ may look negatively upon this (or they may not, but you can't really be sure). Also, there's no guarantee that UMDNJ will accept you next year even if you raise your MCAT score since the whole process seem to be a crapshoot. Good luck with your decision.

I agree with RAD11. Besides, scoring ~3-4 points lower on the MCAT compared with Kaplan practice tests is not necessarily a fluke. It happens. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Have you sent a letter of intent to UMDNJ-COM to let them know they are your top choice?

I agree with RAD11. Besides, scoring ~3-4 points lower on the MCAT compared with Kaplan practice tests is not necessarily a fluke. It happens. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Have you sent a letter of intent to UMDNJ-COM to let them know they are your top choice?

Yup, I'm pretty sure they know. But I think that when they're on a point system it can't help that much.

Pineapple pipe down!! I wasn't assuming anything and I just meant try reassessing again. I understand how changes can occur and how everything is a roller coaster, I just would hate for you to turn down an acceptance without being sure about the other school first. I hope everything works out for you in the end. Good Luck.:)

If you withdraw your acceptance from Erie and re-apply EDP next year to UMDNJ, you'll have to disclose that you've already been accepted to a medical school and then withdrew your acceptance. UMDNJ may look negatively upon this (or they may not, but you can't really be sure). Also, there's no guarantee that UMDNJ will accept you next year even if you raise your MCAT score since the whole process seem to be a crapshoot. Good luck with your decision.

Are you absolutely sure that this also applies for the ACOMCAS application?

Pineapple, UMP makes a valid point. I am not familiar with UMDNJ transfer, acceptance or waitlist protocols, so I dont know if you can move up on the waitlist or if you would be a successful EDP candidate. However, if you reach a time where you know UMDNJ is not going to accept you from the waitlist, try to schedule an appointment with the dean or an admission counselor from the school. Speak with them frankly about your intentions to transfer (or reapply EDP). If you decide to withdraw any acceptances, do so professionally and graciously. This process is very competitive and three points higher on the MCAT may have made a difference for you. Alternatively, you may have scored a 27 and still been in this same position. I don't know. It just seems that you will be putting a lot of pressure on yourself to score higher on the MCAT if you decide to retake.