MCAT difficulty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMDcanada

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,,

2nd year med student here.. just wanna say u guys are heading into a great profession, i love it so far.

My question to you is the difficulty of the mcat nowadays. When i took it it was a long full-day paper and pencil exam.. For those of u that took both versions (computer vs paper) is one necessairly easier?? i mean, the exam is shorter now.. did any of you get similar scores on both versions?

anyways, i was just curious. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,,

2nd year med student here.. just wanna say u guys are heading into a great profession, i love it so far.

My question to you is the difficulty of the mcat nowadays. When i took it it was a long full-day paper and pencil exam.. For those of u that took both versions (computer vs paper) is one necessairly easier?? i mean, the exam is shorter now.. did any of you get similar scores on both versions?

You'll find tons of threads like this in the MCAT forum. Good luck with yours!

You'll find tons of threads like this in the MCAT forum. Good luck with yours!

re-read the post.

op, i took some practice ones on the computer but the real thing on paper (a prep source had already transitioned its practice tests to electronic), so my experience might be slightly different. the score was similar, but the VR was a bit easier since you could highlight, it was easier to refer back to previous sections, etc. i've also heard it's easier for some because you control your own pace (you can take like no breaks at all the entire day).

Hey guys,,

I've only taken paper exams as practice, but the questions are much the same. The reduced time gives you a bit more energy at the end, that's true, so BS is likely to be better.

That said, the reduced number of questions is a big problem if you're getting 35+ scores. At that point, a couple of questions make a real difference in your score, and the larger number of questions on the paper exam leads to a reduction in the overall percentage of questions that you just get wrong by lack of comprehension/picking the wrong 50/50 answer, accident, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the pencil and paper all the way through from practicing to the actual MCAT. I think that part of the old exam was an endurance test....i was at the testing center from 7 am until 5 pm, knowing that if you didn't do well, you had to wait until April to take it again. Now, people are in and out in four, five hours, and can take it whenever they wish, essentially. I think that the overall exam would be easier, but the verbal would be a bit harder for me (i like to underline). based on experiences from friends who have taken both, and even just the computer one, we've deduced that the computer is easier. but that's just our opinions...

I took one of the first computer tests after hearing all the horror stories from people who took the paper test. It really wasn't much of an ordeal. I mean, yeah, the exam was hard, but it wasn't an all-day event like it used to be. Like running a 10K instead of a marathon. Plus, I type much faster than I write, so I could say much more on the essays than I could've otherwise (not to mention the additional editing capabilities). Overall, I'd say the computerized test offers more advantages than disadvantages.

I took one of the first computer tests after hearing all the horror stories from people who took the paper test. It really wasn't much of an ordeal. I mean, yeah, the exam was hard, but it wasn't an all-day event like it used to be. Like running a 10K instead of a marathon. Plus, I type much faster than I write, so I could say much more on the essays than I could've otherwise (not to mention the additional editing capabilities). Overall, I'd say the computerized test offers more advantages than disadvantages.

Hand writing my way to my T gave me carpal tunnel. Oh, if only I could have typed . . .

Paper test was grueling and long, but the difficulty isn't as bad, although because it is curved it yields a similar result. The computer version is MUCh shorter and less of a pain (I got out at 12pm!) but the questions were harder. Then again, it is curved so I'm not complaining.

I thought the material on the actual CBT exam was more difficult than the paper version and also a lot different than the AAMC practice tests.

I think they should make us take the CBT three times in one month and then take the average. That would make up for some of the "luck". :D

i took both versions and liked the computer version only b/c it's shorter. i don't think that one format is necessarily harder than the other.

I have practiced on paper tests and took the CBT. I thought they were almost the same. I liked the paper test better because I am a "book person", I like to have pages to turn and refer back to, much easier and faster than a computer screen for me. However I thought the questions were exactly the same.

I took the paper exam three years ago and scored a 30L (12/10/8). This summer I took it and scored a 35S (11/11/13).

However, when I took it three years ago I had just completed two years of computer engineering and relatively few biological science courses -- which might explain the 8BS. This time around I'm almost done a dietitics degree, which contains many biochem-type classes -- and this time around I jumped to a 13BS.

My other two scores only differed by 1 point -- even with three years between test dates.

As for the huge difference in written scores, I think the biggest factor is how the sample is now typed, not handwritten. I've used a computer to complete my written works since elementary school, and was shocked at my 'L' three years ago. I have little doubt that the ability to type the sample this time around allowed me to get my 'S'.

I think the other factors balance out. The test is shorter, but you get no hour-long lunch break to rest. There are fewer questions, but that means you can't get as many wrong as before for an equivalent score.

Bottom line? I loved that I could type the written sample. All other factors balance out.

it's shorter, and you can't get as many wrong.

however, the paper test is damn near unbearable endurance wise so i found the CBT to be a lot easier in that respect.

honestly, i don't know why i thought i would do better if i took the pencil/paper version...that was stupid of me. i should have just taken the CBT which is not as stressful IMO.

although, the first round of CBTs went horribly, so i kind of feel sorry for the people who had to go through tons of bugs and computer issues.

it's shorter, and you can't get as many wrong.

however, the paper test is damn near unbearable endurance wise so i found the CBT to be a lot easier in that respect.

honestly, i don't know why i thought i would do better if i took the pencil/paper version...that was stupid of me. i should have just taken the CBT which is not as stressful IMO.

although, the first round of CBTs went horribly, so i kind of feel sorry for the people who had to go through tons of bugs and computer issues.

Is CBT some kind of 1337-speak for computer based test? I keep seeing "cognitive behavioral therapy".

not so much l337 speak... its just an acronym...and i have no idea where you're getting cognitive behavioral therapy :laugh:

not so much l337 speak... its just an acronym

I know. It was a lame attempt at humor.

...and i have no idea where you're getting cognitive behavioral therapy :laugh:

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy--it is commonly written "CBT". It has been more relevant to me more often recently than computer based tests.