MCAT dilemma...advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulmed101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just registered for this website, and have a question about the MCAT. My decision to apply for medical school was much later in my undergrad degree than most. It has been about six years since I took first year chem and bio and about three years since organic chem and physics. I switched from a General Science degree into a Health Sciences program,and discontinued most of the traditional science courses. I don't know what to do...will it be impossible to try to study for the MCAT in time to take it in August 2011? Will the prep course be any use if it has been this long since taking science courses?

I did well in all my courses, but I don't know whether I can face re-learning everything!

Any advice would be SO helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's all still in there. There are a lot of people here that did well, even though it has been a long time since they took their basic sciences. Although not necessary, if you take a prep course I am guessing it will be more useful for someone in your position, who would get the most out of a general review, structure, and the confidence boost that prep courses provide.

Also, I just have one more question. In general, do the MCAT prep courses cover actual exam content or is it mostly on the structure of the exam? (If that makes sense)

Members don't see this ad :)
They should cover everything, including content.

Most also include stimulated practice exams, so you get a good feel for what to expect.

I am sure their respective websites will answer any more detailed questions you have. :thumbup:

I took first semester intro bio in 2001, took the MCAT in 2010, and did quite well. You'll probably need to do a bit more review for whichever classes are seriously dated, but there's no reason you can't still kick butt. If you're planning an August 2011 MCAT, you should have plenty of time.