MCAT Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaqkillz451

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup fellow MCATers,

I need all your advice. Right now, I'm registered for the May 31 MCAT but I'm starting to think that maybe I should take it in april first, b/c then If I do bad, I can still retake it and not fall behind the whole application process. What do you guys think? If I do have to take the August MCAT b/c I didn't score good on the May one, would I be behind in the application process? When do med schools actually start lookin at the applications and scores? I'm worried b/c if they get my may scores which are not so great, they might just throw away my app w/o considering the August scores b/c they havent come out yet. Do they do that? My original reasoning for registering for the May 31st MCAT was to get finals out of the way so I can solely focus on the MCAT.

Thanks
:(

Members don't see this ad.

Sup fellow MCATers,

I need all your advice. Right now, I'm registered for the May 31 MCAT but I'm starting to think that maybe I should take it in april first, b/c then If I do bad, I can still retake it and not fall behind the whole application process. What do you guys think? If I do have to take the August MCAT b/c I didn't score good on the May one, would I be behind in the application process? When do med schools actually start lookin at the applications and scores? I'm worried b/c if they get my may scores which are not so great, they might just throw away my app w/o considering the August scores b/c they havent come out yet. Do they do that? My original reasoning for registering for the May 31st MCAT was to get finals out of the way so I can solely focus on the MCAT.

Thanks
:(

Some schools start interviewing in Aug and Sept. If you were to take the Aug MCAT, you can fill your AMCAS application before that and send it to schools, but med schools will not look at your application until your scores come out. They are not going to throw you application out. If you think you are ready then take it April. If not, take it at a later date, so you are ready. Be ready, so that you only have to take the MCAT once. My state med school requires that we report our MCAT scores by Sept 1 for cycle 2008. I couldn't take the Aug MCAT this coming year because it takes at least a month to get scores back, so I would not meet the deadline for my state school. A lot of schools are different- Check with your med schools to see when the last date is to report MCAT scores.