MCAT disapopinting. Need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my scores back today: 30M, PS/VR/BS 10/9/11. I've been averaging 33-34 11/10/12, and my goal was 34-35. And an M was a terrible surprise. Very disappointed.

I'm thinking about a retake.

The kicker is, I submitted AMCAS on 8/13. Thinking I would get a 33-35, here are the schools I applied to:

Wake Forest
University of Arkansas (in-state)
George Washington
University of Tennessee
Tufts
UNC
Georgetown
BU
Emory
Univ of Alabama
Duke
UVA
Northwestern
Mayo
Univ of Chicago
Vandy

Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.83
ECs: very strong (research, clinical volunteering, student body president...)
LORs: seem strong to me. 1 MD, 1 MDPhD, three close professors

I know a lot of these are "reach" schools for me, am I now limited to in-state only (Arkansas), realistically?

Anyone have advice on whether to retake? I used Kaplan online course, some Kaplan exams, and the all AAMC exams. On AAMC 10 and 11 I got 33, 34.

Sorry about the long thread, but I'm disappointed and kind of freaking out.

Members don't see this ad.

The M may be of a little concern but 30 is a good score. I know I would be happy with a 10/9/11. Remember the MCAT is not the sole determining factor. If your ECs and LORs are as strong as you think they are, I would say you should have a good chance of getting at least one acceptance. Also, everyone on SDN should know that the goal is to become a doctor and the specific school's prestige/ranking should not matter so much. I personally don't think you should be upset. However if you really think you can retake for a better score, go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The M may be of a little concern but 30 is a good score. I know I would be happy with a 10/9/11. Remember the MCAT is not the sole determining factor. If your ECs and LORs are as strong as you think they are, I would say you should have a good chance of getting at least one acceptance. Also, everyone on SDN should know that the goal is to become a doctor and the specific school's prestige/ranking should not matter so much. I personally don't think you should be upset. However if you really think you can retake for a better score, go for it.
Thanks Turtlez. I didn't mean to sound stuck up, I'm just disappointed because I was so far off of my personal goal (which was 35, but after the test I was hoping 33-34). The 9 on verbal is the worst thing for me, along with the M. I still don't know how I got just an M...

I do think I could do better, because I usually did to better on practice exams. But I don't know if it's worth signing up again because I'd delay my application for another 6-8 weeks.
Another reason is that I'm working full-time.

Thanks Turtlez. I didn't mean to sound stuck up, I'm just disappointed because I was so far off of my personal goal (which was 35, but after the test I was hoping 33-34). The 9 on verbal is the worst thing for me, along with the M. I still don't know how I got just an M...

I do think I could do better, because I usually did to better on practice exams. But I don't know if it's worth signing up again because I'd delay my application for another 6-8 weeks.
Another reason is that I'm working full-time.

Hey man, I'm averaging 37 on kaplan and 36 on aamc, and I would LOVE to have your score breakdown (except the M, lol). Don't panic too much. I think you will definitely get a few interviews. If you have a wonderful personality, I don't see why they won't want you. Good luck!

Def seems a little mid-top heavy for your MCAT. Your ECs and GPA probably make up for it, though. I would put in a couple apps to "lower" schools just to spread it out a bit. Sorry about the disappointment.

You seem to have a pretty good application and hopefully get accepted this application cycle. If you are planning to going for this application cycle, you may want to apply to a couple of lower tier schools as well. If you are retaking to try to get into a top tier school, then I would suggest to go for the retake if you feel prepared. Best wishes for this cycle. :)

Def seems a little mid-top heavy for your MCAT. Your ECs and GPA probably make up for it, though. I would put in a couple apps to "lower" schools just to spread it out a bit. Sorry about the disappointment.
I'm thinking about adding Tulane, any other suggestions?

What is your race?

If you are white or asian you should do yourself a favor and register for a retake.

EDIT: Can you just apply now, and then take the September MCAT?

What is your race?

If you are white or asian you should do yourself a favor and register for a retake.

EDIT: Can you just apply now, and then take the September MCAT?
Do you really think race is a determining factor in this situation??

Would taking a September MCAT delay my application too much to where it's not worth it? Also, even the latest date, September 10, is less than a month away, and I'm working full time. What to do? :confused::scared:

CRAP why did the MCAT have to throw everything last minute!! Everything else about my application is great!

You are strong.
12.lona.gif

Do you really think race is a determining factor in this situation??

Would taking a September MCAT delay my application too much to where it's not worth it? Also, even the latest date, September 10, is less than a month away, and I'm working full time. What to do? :confused::scared:

Well if you're black or hispanic a 30 is considered a really good score.

Dude, just go ahead and apply. You will probably make it with solid EC's,. Also applying to D.O. as backups right?

Yeah, I guess that's true, but I don't think it's a good enough reason to retake.

I'm not planning to apply to D.O. schools.

u have a great score! there is no reason for being down. You could have done a lot worse, so be happy. You have a great shot at a ton of med schools! If you feel you want to retake it, then go for it. But be warned that if your score goes down, it will not look too good with admission committees. good luck