MCAT Disaster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDreamer

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I received my MCAT scores (VR-5, PS-8, BS-8, R) and I am in a state of shock. I have been working so hard these past few years for medical school and to know I have a 0% chance of acceptance just crushes me. I knew I performed poorly on the VR because I was feeling ill on the morning of the exam and but I didn't imagine such a low score. Now, with no plan B in mind and with no incentive to do anything else in life, I feel miserable. This was my first attempt at medical school and so, ideally, I would like to try again, but my age is an obstacle for me...I am 25. My age is an obstacle because of my culture and the fact that women are expected to get married and become housewives at this age. Of course, I am not going to settle for any of that cultural crap but it just puts so much pressure on me from my parents and others. Failure and weakness in their eyes is just used as another tool to pressure me into marriage and a careerless life. Does anyone have any advice? By the way, I am a Canadian and I am applying to the US as I have a grant that will cover all my tuition and living expenses. Also, I have a Masters in Health Care with plenty of research and clinical experience.

I appreciate any advice.

Sousan

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy Sousan,
I know that you are feeling pretty low and discouraged right now because of the Verbal score. This is not the end of the road for you and Med School by a long shot. Rethink what went wrong and strengthen the weakness over the next six months. Cultural pressures are a real issue and any student that is non-traditional faces them, so you have allies out here. If I have to here one more time when will I get a real job....etc.
Don't give up your dream!

------------------
BSD
______
Work under the assumption that you will be happy one day

Don't give up. The first time I took the MCAT I got a 21 (VR8 PS6 BS7). The second time that took it I did better, but not great (total 25). Needless to say, I still got accepted into med school. I'm really happy I didn't let my score get in the way of what I really wanted in life. Don't waste precious time worrying. work hard and it will all turn our great.

Members don't see this ad :)
m1,
did you get accepted to a state school? is it possible to get accepted to a private school with lower mcat score?
do you have really high gpa?

thanks,

M1-Which school did you end up going to. I have the same mcat score and I'm really worried.

[This message has been edited by Jacky (edited 10-25-2000).]

Hey MDreamer, think positive!!!! I really feel for you.... The MCAT is a stumbling block for a lot of premeds. Study really hard, take a prep course if you have to, and take the exam again in April. It's not the end of the world.

About the cultural thing: Don't let it get you down. My parents are the same way. They think that the fact that I am taking two years off between undergrad and medschool is equivalent to starting medschool at 60. Sigh. They think that as women age, too much estrogen leaks into the brain and causes it to atrophy. (They also think that playing sports damages the uterus... go figure.) They also believe that I need to finish med school as fast as possible so I can have kids ASAP (the whole female biological clock argument).

The solution to all this pressure? You have to learn to ignore it and do things your own way. My solution has involved living 200 miles away from my parents, supporting myself, and going with my dreams. I haven't cut them off or anything, I just try not to be in the very thick of the pressure they are putting on me.

I wish you luck, MDreamer. Don't stop trying.

xena

Yes, I ended up going to my state school, and yes that is the only school that I got accepted to. I had a high GPA and really good volunteer and work experience and it payed off for me. I'm just saying that MCAT is not the end all say all for med school admissions. I'm assuming, though, that you need higher scores to get into private schools. Also, now that I'm in med school, I don't find that the MCAT predicted my success here by any means. At least in m1. I'm right in the middle of my class grade wise. So don't let the MCAT get you down!

Thanks M1!! You have been very helpful with your words of encouragement. I have the same mcat score as you and it has been difficult for me to make a determination on whether to apply.(next year) Would applying next year (june 1st) without another attempt in april 2001 cause them reason to frown? This last mcat exam (in august) was my 3rd attempt.

[This message has been edited by Jacky (edited 10-25-2000).]

Don't listen to these people. Sure you'll find others with similar scores/experiences/whatever who were accepted like m1. But for every one of him/her, there are several others with the same, as well as MUCH better, qualifications who were not accepted and thus moved on with their lives (who knows why they were not accepted - selection is actually a pretty random process with such a great applicant pool). The fact that one person - who appears on the surface to be the mirror of you as an applicant - was accepted does not suddenly negate the statistics. Instead of looking for empathy or false promises if you "stick to it," I suggest you assess the reality of your situation objectively and perhaps consider alternatives. You hint that, at age 25, time is "running out" for you. Well, the time and energy spent "MDreaming" can perhaps be put to better use. Go do something to help people -and I do not mean find something that will "look good for the admissions committee." I mean, if you truly want to help people, go do something with your life that does so but which you sincerely enjoy; and who knows, that might well lead you eventually full-circle to medical school. I hate to use cliches but it is true that a closed door often means the opening up of others....

Jacky- I don't think that the ADCOMS would frown on not retaking the MCAT before applying next year. Why didn't you apply this year? I recommed taking the year and getting some really meaningful experience. Luckily, I had some experience that boosted my chances.

I also agree with the above poster somewhat. There are isolated cases out there of a few that got accepted with great credentials, as well as a few of us that slid in with not so perfect MCAT scores. (there are actually more here with low scores than I had anticipated.) It does appear to be quite random. What I wanted to point out, though, is that it does happen for some people that don't have what the textbooks call the ideal qualifications. I almost didn't apply after I got the second round of scores back, but decided to try my luck anyway. I got rejected from all of the schools that I applied to except for my state school. In fact, that was the only interview that I had, and I found out that I was accepted three days later. All I want to say is that if it is what you really want, don't let anything slow you down. Go after it, and who knows......

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments, you are a great inspiration to me.

To MSepo,
Please keep your comments to yourself, you are not helping anyone out here by imposing your negative thoughts. By the way, don't assume that I have been "MDreaming" all my life without genuinely helping people out...for the past 4 years I have been volunteering my time (4 hours a week) to look after a mentally handicapped child. I did this because the parents didn't have the luxury of hiring someone to tend to the special needs of this child...not to make myself look good for medical school. However, for medical school, I volunteer at the planned parenthood clinic, where I am a physician assistant and contraceptive counselor. I also sit on a very important board where I am involved in governance decisions for hundreds of clinics.
Also, I am not the one who thinks that "time is running out", it is the people around me. I am very optimistic about my career in medicine. I think people shouldn't underestimate themselves and their potential...it is possible to do anything in life you put your mind into. I urge all of you to continue persuing your dreams and don't give up.

Sousan

Sousan,

1 year to get your score up is not a big deal. If all goes well, you will live to be 77 so don't worry about the extra year. 1/77 is not that much!!!

Keep your head up.

(Too bad there isn't a little box to click to make msepo vanish.)

I don't like to hear people on this board discouraging people from their dreams. Why not go for it and see what happens. If I had listened to all of the people that said I wouldn't get in, I wouldn't be here now. If there is just a slight chance that applying will lead to acceptance, if you are really serious about medicine, you are willing to take that chance regardless of what the average is. It is ok to put yourself out there once in awhile and take your chances.

Just because you don't agree with MSepo doesn't mean you need to personally attack him/her. MSepo was just trying to give some realistic and balanced advice, within the constraints of what you had mentioned. I don't recall MSepo's post saying anything about completely giving up on med school -- just merely suggesting exploring alternatives that "might lead you eventually full-circle to med school." How does constructive and realistic advice suddenly equate to negative?

Yeah..realistic is good, but try not to be cynic and distracting. Of course, the words have some power, and they're a test on how strong we feel about being a doc.

To MDreamer:

This is a forum, and for you to request that I keep my words to myself really doesn't keep with the spirit of the thing. Never mind that though since I want to get to my point. My original post was not written out of malice, rather it was motivated by experience. Moreover, you're telling ME about negative statements?? How's this:
"...with no incentive to do anything else in life..." I don't know why you want to become a doctor and I couldn't really care less since I can't possibly guage your sincerity. From what you've posted already it sounds like you're already doing something meaningful in your life, what more do you expect to get out of being a physician? Why place so much emphasis on whatever substance you expect doctoring to bring into your life that it makes you feel as though nothing else matters - ? And again, I NEVER typed anything to the effect of "quit trying right now; go outside; hang a rope from a tree, and you should know what to do from there..." So if its only words of encouragement you seek, here they are: A 21 on the MCAT the 1st time is pretty bad and its probably not going to get your application a second look. But of course, as you typed, you were not feeling well. If as you indicate, the only real deficiency in your app is that MCAT, then of course it's just a matter of raising it, which you most likely will, THOUGH NOT NECESSARILY, have to do. Best way I found to prepare is take those damn sample tests that AAMC offers, over and over. In fact, if you don't already have them, I will personally buy and send them to you just to show you that I'm not the lurking "potential child-molestor" that others seem to think.

For Msepo?s Eyes Only,

I think you have some very serious issues you have to deal with. Pessimistic and cynical people like you don't get very far in life. In my counselling, I have come across many people like you who take pleasure out of pointing out or emphasizing other people?s weaknesses. If you plan to become a doctor, I urge you to explore in yourself what makes you so bitter and resentful, before you start imposing your negative sentiments onto patients. My uncle is the Dean of a medical school in Texas and he pointed out to me that adcoms will psycho-analyse you and try to find out the real person hiding behind a facade...in your case it will be quite simple: you are a shallow, narrow-minded, insensitive, egocentric person who is seeking self-approval through the prospect of becoming a doctor. If you are seeking counselling, you can e-mail me directly and I will try to help you as best I can, free of charge of course...you will have lots of learning to do in the area of people skills.

Sousan

"...people like you who take pleasure out of pointing out or emphasizing other people?s weaknesses..."
-Funny, i don't remember typing anything like that. Maybe you could point those lines out to me? Anyway, it's too bad that you think everybody who agrees with you that the earth is flat is your friend. I suppose anybody who tells you that the earth is round should be burned at the stake because they're not being sensitive to your feelings.

I just love (amateur) psychologists. I guess this is the reason why it's called a "soft" science...

MSepo, you make too many assumptions. Just because I did poorly on my MCAT, should I consider doing something else with my life and forget all the other efforts I have made thus far??? Or, just because I help others and therefore receive the same fulfillment a doctor does, I should change my career direction???

I posted my message the day after I received my scores and of course I was devastated and depressed. Turns out, contrary to my original understanding, my family is very supportive of my decisions. When I told them about my scores and my worries last week, they said I must keep trying until I reach my goal and that they are going to support me every step of the way.

Your MCAT theory that if I try it again that I may not do much better is BS. I started studying 3 months before the August MCAT. Considering that I had not opened a science book in 4 years and that I was working full time while I was studying, is an accomplishment in itself. Also, I didn't take a review course, and the only verbal reasoning review I did was on 3 practice tests. Since my original plan was to apply to McMaster in Ontario, Canada (doesn't require the MCAT) I didn't realize the importance and level of difficulty of the MCAT until later on.

You see, you don't deserve my explanation because you are too shallow to understand anything. What is your next stuipid come-back? I am awaiting.

If i don't deserve an explanation, why the heck did you give me one?? I like how you're getting so defensive with me - it's kind of cute. Anyway, looking back at your first post I noticed your last sentence was "I appreciate ANY (emphasis added) advice." I wish you had written "I appreciate any advice that I like," because you could have saved me some effort. Sure I could tell you to keep following your dreams like every other lemming on this thread has done, but where would that get you? Might I suggest that you seem to have a little problem dealing with reality? Seriously, I'm not trying to be insulting or anything but if I tell you something you don't like such as "ALL ELSE being equal an applicant with a 36 MCAT has a much greater chance of acceptance than someone with a 21," why does that make me the bad guy? That's statistics, Sousan - IT'S NOT AN OPINION. Here's a little bit more reality which I posted elsewhere and you and others should keep in mind: The hard part is not getting INTO medical school. The hard part is getting THROUGH.

"Just because I did poorly on my MCAT, should I consider doing something else with my life and forget all the other efforts I have made thus far???"

-Once again - geez, why do you make me repeat myself? - I never typed that you should quit. I meant, statistically, yes your chances are greatly diminished with such a low score. Notice I didn't write "your chances are gone forever in an endless abyss from which there is no return..." I NEVER make blanket statements like that. If you'll read my posts CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY you'll see that I lace my sentences with words like "perhaps" and "maybe" and "statistics."

Or, just because I help others and therefore receive the same fulfillment a doctor does, I should change my career direction???

-Here I was merely wondering what more do you really expect to get out of being a doctor that you don't already get? Is it the money, the prestige, what for crying out loud? In short, "WHY DO YOU WANT TO BECOME A DOCTOR?" I'm probably not the first and definitely not the last to ask you that particular question.

"Your MCAT theory that if I try it again that I may not do much better is BS."

-Please, watch the language. There are children on this forum (well, ok, they're technically not children, but they sure as heck act like it sometimes...) But getting back to your statement - huh??? I don't remember putting forth that theory, especially since it doesn't agree with statistics (there's that word again!). I think you're referring to the part where I wrote "then of course it's just a matter of raising it, which you most likely will, THOUGH NOT NECESSARILY, have to do." AGAIN, if you'll reread that sentence CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY, it is ADVICE, as you requested. Looks like I have to interpret my sentence for you: it says that you will "NOT NECESSARILY" have to raise your MCAT score because with all the other things you have going on, a 21 might not really be that bad. HOWEVER, you "most likely will" have to raise it, though I don't know for sure. Please notice, I DID NOT make any statements in any of my posts regarding your ability to or chances of raising your score. Again, I'm serious, the best way to prepare is to take the AAMC sample tests.

Finally, you think *I* make too many assumptions? As if I don't know what it's like to be "devastated and depressed" as a result of this application process...

don't let a bad mcat get you down too much. i was devastated when i got my second 24. the first test i didn't prepare. the second time i thought i prepared enough, but didn't fully devote myself, i had to later admit. but the third time i was faced with giving up, which just didn't seem like an option. i moved home to my parents house, didn't work, and studied five to seven hours a day for two months. i just told myself that i didn't want to be able to wonder if i had tried hard enough. i was just hoping to get an mcat that would give me a chance, like a 27 or 28. i prepared for the worst, but just got the scores and got a 31, 10 v 11 p 10 b Q WS. i'm not trying to get into the top rated schools, so i'm pretty confident now. just see what a difference that one test score made, and realize that you shouldn't give up yet. try hard, and you will improve. by the way, i realize a 31 isn't a shoe-in score, but i had a pretty good personal essay and was told by a school last year that the only thing keeping me out was my mcat score. good luck.