MCAT emergency!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jezzen18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to crazy unfortunate events I've had to sign up for the April MCAT TODAY! I need to learn well and FAST. I have old Kaplan Books from 2002 but I was wondering what other study aids, cdrom or new books, would be the most beneficial now! I'm dedicated to nailing this test again...I just need some source of new study materials that I can use at my leisure...what do u suggest as the best?

Members don't see this ad.

jezzen18 said:
Due to crazy unfortunate events I've had to sign up for the April MCAT TODAY! I need to learn well and FAST. I have old Kaplan Books from 2002 but I was wondering what other study aids, cdrom or new books, would be the most beneficial now! I'm dedicated to nailing this test again...I just need some source of new study materials that I can use at my leisure...what do u suggest as the best?

I would not suggest this unless you've taken the exam before or have otherwise studied for it. You have to assess that you can review the fundamentals and have time to adequately attempt and review practice material. If time is not an issue, I guess buy that Kaplan mega-book or exam krackers. But why not take it in August or next April? Good luck. :luck: I've been attempting to study for months, and I'm looking at August.

pufferfish said:
I would not suggest this unless you've taken the exam before or have otherwise studied for it. You have to assess that you can review the fundamentals and have time to adequately attempt and review practice material. If time is not an issue, I guess buy that Kaplan mega-book or exam krackers. But why not take it in August or next April? Good luck. :luck: I've been attempting to study for months, and I'm looking at August.

I have taken it before, but it's quite urgent that I take it again now. I have all free time to study from now until the exam....so I'm hoping that I can prepare adequately. I think that if one is determined enough to do something...it can be done. I just need maybe a few more supplemental study aids so I can have some various resources. I guess if all doesn't go as planned I will retake it again in August...but I'm going to try to stay positive in my ability to do well now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless a space alien is threatening to implant his tentacle baby in you unless you take the April MCAT, I'm not sure what could possibly be so urgent. This sounds like a recipe for disaster. If you can retake in August, then you can just plain old take in August, I would think. You don't want to have more administrations than necessary on your record.

So what's the scoop? Where is the screaming urgency?

i would buy the 5 practice mcats that they sell on their official site, for about 80 bucks as a good practice material to get yourself back into the
"feel" of the test length. take on ASAP (you can download them, i think)
actually TAKE TWO. then figure out what you need work on. work on it for a week. take another one. etc. till test date.

MollyMalone said:
Unless a space alien is threatening to implant his tentacle baby in you unless you take the April MCAT, I'm not sure what could possibly be so urgent. This sounds like a recipe for disaster. If you can retake in August, then you can just plain old take in August, I would think. You don't want to have more administrations than necessary on your record.

So what's the scoop? Where is the screaming urgency?

I third that emotion (I would've like to have said "second," but guju beat me to it).

How long has it been since you've had the science subjects? Have you been exposed to the subjects recently so that it's not entirely re-learning everything? One month (correction: LESS than one month) is pushing it, to adequately cover 4 different sciences, and work on verbal. Determination and dedication are nice, but the amount of work required to get through the material and really GET IT wouldn't leave enough time in the day to eat and sleep, let alone breathe.

But you're determined, and that seems to be enough for you, so I would recommend getting the EK 101 Verbal passages. If you felt you got good prep out of the materials you used to study with last time, then use them. Otherwise, go with another company's books. And get ahold of any and all practice tests that you can. It's one thing to learn material; it's another to learn how to take this exam.

jezzen18 said:

When I did the retake in August, I used the MCAT osmosis audio CDs. They are really corny, but the cheezy jokes actually help you to remember things. It is a lot more convenient than pouring over books, and since you already took it, you dont need that. The CDs are almost, and I say 'almost', entertaining.

notnarcsDO said:
When I did the retake in August, I used the MCAT osmosis audio CDs. They are really corny, but the cheezy jokes actually help you to remember things. It is a lot more convenient than pouring over books, and since you already took it, you dont need that. The CDs are almost, and I say 'almost', entertaining.
Audio Osmosis is also rife with errors. I'd be careful about relying on them too much.

I took the MCAT in April of 2002. Before applying to a number of schools this year, I called to make sure whether or not they would accept my scores. Initially I was told that they would. NOW, after I've interviewed and waited for my letters...I'm being told....that I have to take it in April to be admitted. So I figured I'd give it my all so I don't have to wait another year. I'm obviously really upset about this....it isn't quite fair being told one thing...led on...then having everything blow up in your face. But, I'm going to make the best of it. If it doesn't work out, at least I tried...and will try again. Thanks for all the suggestions :oops:

jezzen18 said:
I took the MCAT in April of 2002. Before applying to a number of schools this year, I called to make sure whether or not they would accept my scores. Initially I was told that they would. NOW, after I've interviewed and waited for my letters...I'm being told....that I have to take it in April to be admitted. So I figured I'd give it my all so I don't have to wait another year. I'm obviously really upset about this....it isn't quite fair being told one thing...led on...then having everything blow up in your face. But, I'm going to make the best of it. If it doesn't work out, at least I tried...and will try again. Thanks for all the suggestions :oops:

go for it. Just buckle down. Take aamc test 9 to see where you stand and take it from there. This somewhat happened to me too.

Get all aamc exams take two a week and review then thoroughly. Also, if you can get your hands on examkrackers get the following:
EK 101 verbal passages
EK 1001 biological questions
And get EK study package (You might be able to get through this once, but it should be fine).
Also, get their ek mini mcats ( I have been taking these and I can't believe how the verbal and bio is just like the real mcat).

I took the MCAT both in apr and aug 2005. however, the bio section killed me in the aug mcat. The first passage was ochem and then the second and it felt like the whole exam was freakin ochem, I did not really study for ochem, and I got smashed. I have never taken a practice test with the first passage being ochem so immediately i was thrown offf.

I don't understand why people say you can't do this or that... When one gets into med school, you will have to study ten times the material that is on the mcat and have a test every week or every month or every block. It short, this will be a brief introduction to what is required of med students. I am sure many pre-meds that doubt and try to rationalize that one should not take the test till the person is ready will be in for a real shock once med school starts. In med school, they will give you one to fours of undergrad information in one month and test you on it. Just remember, it is all in the plan of study not in the duration of study where one imposes their will on the material.

good luck...

jezzen18 said:

Dude, that sucks. My deepest sympathies.

I don't have anything to add about what prep material to use, but we're all here for you if you have content questions or anything like that.

Best of luck for you... I hope you nail it!

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm sure I'll be on here quite a bit with questions. Yeah, I plan on studying full-time basically until the exam. We'll see what happens! I do have my 2002 Kaplan books and just got the newest comprehensive review book with CD-ROM from Kaplan...but I guess I need some more actual exam materials. I'm sure I'll probably end up studying for this one MUCH more than I did for the original one..hahaha. Ok, once again THANKS for the good luck and support! Time to go study....

Ha, would you believe that I took the MCAT twice--in April and August--and I actually did worse on the August one, even though I had a free summer and WAY MORE time to study for it? LOL.

jezzen18 said:
Oh wow that sucks so much. If you need help with questions or just support be sure to swing back by here. I'm sure you can do it with lots of hard work.

Good luck :luck:

matteaton81 said:
Ha, would you believe that I took the MCAT twice--in April and August--and I actually did worse on the August one, even though I had a free summer and WAY MORE time to study for it? LOL.

Dude, I hope it wasn't significantly worse. Adcoms NEVER look fondly on that kind of trend.