MCAT Essay writing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auroraboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any practice material for essay writing. I'm looking for something along the lines of a good list of examples to use...or even sample essays just so I've a reference to compare my work to.

I have kaplan and AAMC practice tests, would be glad to trade them, just PM:)

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone had any practice material for essay writing. I'm looking for something along the lines of a good list of examples to use...or even sample essays just so I've a reference to compare my work to.

I have kaplan and AAMC practice tests, would be glad to trade them, just PM:)

http://aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/writingsampleitems.htm

this is a good list lol.... and it seems that a lot of recent prompts are on that list... like both mine from august 06

Members don't see this ad :)
ok I am so confused as to this writing section, can someone explain what is on it, do we have to do 2 essays or 1 and only have one prompt or choose form 2?? thanks so much

two essays, two prompts, 30 minutes for each prompt. you must complete both, you dont get to choose.

ok I am so confused as to this writing section, can someone explain what is on it, do we have to do 2 essays or 1 and only have one prompt or choose form 2?? thanks so much

Like the above poster said, you have two prompts. However, I seriously wouldn't worry about this section. I know of a few top 20 schools that don't even look at it! Dartmouth is one, they completely disregard your writing score. This section is a joke, save yourself some heartache and spend the time you'd spend here on a different section. Even if you get the lowest score possible (J), you're only put at a disadvantage at a handful of schools. I can think of 2 schools that have a minimum requirement on this section, and it's an M. So, seriously!!! Don't worry about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You see how I write^^^^ Well, I made an M on this section...you have nothing to worry about! :thumbup:

Like the above poster said, you have two prompts. However, I seriously wouldn't worry about this section. I know of a few top 20 schools that don't even look at it! Dartmouth is one, they completely disregard your writing score. This section is a joke, save yourself some heartache and spend the time you'd spend here on a different section. Even if you get the lowest score possible (J), you're only put at a disadvantage at a handful of schools. I can think of 2 schools that have a minimum requirement on this section, and it's an M. So, seriously!!! Don't worry about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You see how I write^^^^ Well, I made an M on this section...you have nothing to worry about! :thumbup:

its pretty easy for you guys...but Canadian schools take this section seriously..some schools have cutoff at Q

so yea...if anyone has some related material, help me out!

its pretty easy for you guys...but Canadian schools take this section seriously..some schools have cutoff at Q

so yea...if anyone has some related material, help me out!

I hear ya. I've been practicing like mad for my MCAT this Saturday. I found what helped me the most was to go through each prompt and try to explain it and find a counter example. Don't write the entire essay, but just some key ideas. Also, talk some of the more difficult ones over with some other MCAT'ers or somone who you think would have some good ideas. Also you'll find after a while that you are able to use the same examples for different prompts...

Cheers. Give me a shout if you have more q's.

I hear ya. I've been practicing like mad for my MCAT this Saturday. I found what helped me the most was to go through each prompt and try to explain it and find a counter example. Don't write the entire essay, but just some key ideas. Also, talk some of the more difficult ones over with some other MCAT'ers or somone who you think would have some good ideas. Also you'll find after a while that you are able to use the same examples for different prompts...

Cheers. Give me a shout if you have more q's.

yeah, don't waste your time writing out full essays for practice. just read some prompts and for each one think about 1) what is the prompt saying and provide an example, 2) think of a counter example, and 3) give your opinion which for me always seemed like a summary of my first two points haha.

i didn't finish either essay on the real thing and still got an R. i think you just need to show you know how to make claims and warrants for those claims. i didn't finish b/c i ran out of time on both essays. i didn't have the intro on one done and the conclusion on the other. i didn't have time to read them over, either, so i'm sure they were filled with typos and randomly missing words haha. good luck

two essays, two prompts, 30 minutes for each prompt. you must complete both, you dont get to choose.

ok so for those two what do you have to write, on the AMCAS page it makes it seem that you have to explain each one, then offer a counter example, and then something else I forgot...so is that for each essay?? as in would you do each in a paragraph as to have intro, explanation, counter-ex, the other thing, concl. Or am i way off here??? Sorry just cant seem to get it

ok so for those two what do you have to write, on the AMCAS page it makes it seem that you have to explain each one, then offer a counter example, and then something else I forgot...so is that for each essay?? as in would you do each in a paragraph as to have intro, explanation, counter-ex, the other thing, concl. Or am i way off here??? Sorry just cant seem to get it

you need to pick up a book man..the basic strategy is given in almost any MCAT preparation book.

TAS- Thesis, Anti-thesis, Synthesis

follow those 3 steps, use example in Anti-thesis..could use an example in thesis too but usually its just explaining the prompt. In Synthesis you sum it up..as in under what kind of circumstances would the given prompt be true/false.

hope that helps!

you need to pick up a book man..the basic strategy is given in almost any MCAT preparation book.

TAS- Thesis, Anti-thesis, Synthesis

follow those 3 steps, use example in Anti-thesis..could use an example in thesis too but usually its just explaining the prompt. In Synthesis you sum it up..as in under what kind of circumstances would the given prompt be true/false.

hope that helps!

no homo but,

look at that v-taper...

i think i mite have u tho homie...hahaha