MCAT expiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ubu

Always hungry...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi...I have several questions regarding MCAT expiration. I took the MCAT in Aug 1999 and again in April 2001. I would like to apply next year for Fall 2004 admission. I am guessing that my Aug 1999 score is not longer valid. But, is my April 2001 score still valid? Also, since the 1999 score is no longer valid, do I still report that score? I have also heard that 3 times is the max number of times someone can take the MCAT. Is this true?

Thanks for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school. It seems that most schools should accept scores back to 2001 for next year's application cycle. TYou can take the MCAT 3x but any time after that you have to write a letter asking for permission to take it again. Check out the school's websites that you are applying to and find out what scores they accept. I believe that most schools will accept scores dating back to 2000 so scores from 2001 schould be alright for next year.;)

the old mcat score gets reported no matter what anyways.
when you apply through amcas- amcas is the one that puts your mcat scores on the application automatically.
And it will list old scores as well as new ones. even expired ones.

I took the mcat first in 97, but it expired when i applied to school this year- so i took it this april 2002. On my amcas it lists both scores.

However- schools might only look at the recent ones within the last 3 years. They get both scores- but sometimes they only consider one. For example- my SLU interviewer had an OPEN file- but he had no idea that I had taken the mcat once before. He asked- if you knew you wanted to go to med school in college, why didn't you take the mcat while in college. When I told him i did, he said, "oh- i didn't know that".