MCAT Flashcard Reccomendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sundaymorning7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to buy a comprehensive set of flashcards for my MCAT studying and am wondering if people have any recommendations before I go out and buy some. I'm studying with the PR books (I'm an SAT teacher with them so I got them for free), and I do plan on making my own flashcards at some point, but a) wouldn't mind having some right away I can carry around with me and b) buying a set would hopefully help me make sure I covered everything. Suggestions?
Barrons are cheap, which makes me somewhat skeptical, but if they are good I might go with those.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering the same thing and did go on the website to look. I plan on making some

I would like to buy a comprehensive set of flashcards for my MCAT studying and am wondering if people have any recommendations before I go out and buy some. I'm studying with the PR books (I'm an SAT teacher with them so I got them for free), and I do plan on making my own flashcards at some point, but a) wouldn't mind having some right away I can carry around with me and b) buying a set would hopefully help me make sure I covered everything. Suggestions?
Barrons are cheap, which makes me somewhat skeptical, but if they are good I might go with those.

I'm using the Barrons flashcards. They're okay for the price I guess ($19). What I like to do during content review is read the corresponding flashcards for that topic and write notes on them to fill in any gaps. If I feel like some stuff is missing, then I just make my own and add them into the box. Then at end of the week, I review all the flashcards I went through, just to keep it fresh.

IMO, they're pretty good quality. Some of the flashcards are kind of like "well duh..", but most are them are useful, and it's convenient having them already written and cut out.

I haven't seen or used any other flashcards, so I can't really say they're the best. If you have the time though, I think it's better to make your own. The flashcards that I remember the best are the ones that I made myself.

Just in case anyone reads this, I bought the Barrons ones and would not recommend them. The majority of them are definitions and really obvious stuff, its clear they were just trying to fill flashcards to make it look like they had a lot of them.

I've been using this site to make flashcards:

http://quizlet.com/

There are already many people who have made sets that they share publicly if you search "MCAT" on the site. If you pay the $10 for a year, you can add pictures too, which I have found very helpful.

Good Luck!

I'd recommend staying away from flashcards.... It's practice passages, not flashcards, that are going to help... Or don't and waste your money. Makes it easier on your competition.

I think that it is most useful to make your own flashcards (based on study materials). I think that it helps to write everything in your own words and preferred format. I used the ExamKrackers flashcards for O-Chem and they were pretty good (who wants to write all those mechanisms again??), but other than that, I made my own.

If you have an iPad/iPhone use Flashcards Deluxe and make your own. I just like doing it this way because I always have my phone on me, so I can go over flashcards during most of my down-time during the day at work and while commuting.

PM if you want to share sets.

If you take a course with Kaplan, you get some pretty nice flashcards with questions and answers. Flashcards are nice to get the basics down, then work on passages.

I also know there is "MCAT in a box" offered by Kaplan separately (check out amazon), but I can't say whether these are the same cards or what quality they are.

Good luck.