MCAT Goal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgeryalltheway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm the process of studying for my MCAT, my initial Kaplan diagnostic was a 497, so pretty unnerved at the moment. What's a good score to aim for MD acceptances in Texas (and DO if MD chances are slim sounding)?
  • GPA = 3.75, sGPA = 3.61
  • US Citizen, TX Resident
  • Asian female
  • Undergraduate Institution: Texas A&M University
    • Major: Biomedical Sciences
    • Minors: Business and Neuroscience
  • Clinical Volunteering: 145 hours, plan on going back this summer.
  • Shadowing: 124 hours
    • Sleep Medicine, Oculofacial Plastics, OBGYN, Orthopedic Surgery, Bariatric Surgery, General Surgery, ENT Surgery
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: 70 hours
    • Volunteered 3 hrs/week at the Food Bank, on a pause because I was using this last semester to handle my 18 hour workload while studying for the MCAT
    • Volunteered with local elementary school's first grade class - worked on reading skills. Also currently paused for the semester.
  • Research:
    • RA in a lab for two semesters (8 hrs/week) before the lab was relocated to a different state
    • Currently RA in a lab at TAMUHSC's Neuroscience Dept (12 hrs/week)
    • Currently working with Aggie Research Scholars as a primary author for a manuscript that is being written (~10 hrs/week)
  • Leadership:
    • Team Leader of my manuscript team
    • Trained new employees at Starbucks when they joined
    • Mentored high school students through 2 different programs (1 that was affiliated with TAMUHSC)
    • Was a job site leader for The Big Event (annual volunteer project at TAMU)
  • Extracurricular:
    • Violinist in the University Philharmonic Orchestra
    • President of Alpha Epsilon Delta - Premedical Honors Society
    • Fundraising Liason - Students for Advancing Neuroscience Discovery and Innovation
  • Employment:
    • Barista at Starbucks freshman and sophomore year

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No more shadowing hours needed if you are still doing that. Transition those to increasing your clinical volunteering hours to 200+.

As an ORM, your GPAs are competitive, but shoot for 512+ on your MCAT.

Thanks for the feedback! Should I look into DO, or would I be safe applying to all instate MD schools?

When you apply to TMDSAS, you should also include TCOM.

Lets wait until you get your MCAT score back before deciding whether you should consider DOs...

Reactions: 1 user