MCAT/GPA + age=game of death?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMTjedi

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the April 97 MCAT and scored a 10V,8P,6B. My main concern was the biological section but my science GPA was 3.6. I graduated with a 3.4 overall this May with a BS in Genetics and Cell Biology at the young age of 21.

My first concern was the MCAT/GPA scoring problem and then it hit me when I looked at the average age of the entering DO applicant: approx. 27. I must have been one of the 2,000 people that failed to apply last year and caused the #'s to go down by 10.7%.

I decided to take a year or two off and regroup my decision and life goals. Once Merck, Pfizer, and Johnson&Johnson looked at my resume they sent me home and told me to go apply to medical school. So much for trying to find a real world job with a pre-medical resume.

So on the side I'm taking night classes to become a nationally registered EMT-Basic.

I really am interested in the OMT aspect of Osteopathic Medicine. I have read case studies, been a member of pre-SOMA for a few years now, worked in an ER for a year,and shadowed a half-dozen DO's who actively use OMT in there practices.

Before being turned on to the DO difference I was very excited about chriopractic manipulation. My main turn off on chiropractic was there complete lack of use and sometimes respect for DRUGS. Also the overuse of mantras like "subluxations are the cause of disease" or "innate intelligence from GOD causes baby's to breath for the first time, its not the CO2 buildup!" Welcome to earth my friends?

I belive DO's have a great advantage over MD's and DC's in that they are on the cutting edge of preventive medicine with OMT and have the same tools as allopathic physicians.

Now that I got that out in the open.

What would you all recommend as my course of action? Apply to DO school now? After June 1? Try getting a better score on the MCAT's? Work as an EMT while trying to get into DO school? I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks a million.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

One thing that might help you decide is that the deadline for application for most DO schools have already passed. Their might be a few left that are still taking applications, but even they probably have most of their Fall 1999 class picked. So apply EARLY June 1, 1999 for the Fall 2000 class.

As far as other options, taking the MCAT over in April to increase your schools is good. And working as an EMT would be worthwhile as it would give you experience. I came to med school with no medical experience other than shadowing an ER for a year, and I found the experience invaluable.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Billie

I have a problem, can someone help me? I am going to be graduated in summer 99 because I have to repeating two classes I recieved D's in my 2nd year of undergrad. I want to apply for 2000, but I dont want to send in a application with a D on it to any school. When I complete these two classes my gpa will be significantly higher. If I apply at the end of august is that to late for the 2000 class. Please advise me.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
You DO have a problem. Before giving an answer I would have to know
why you received two D's.

Deb

To OMTJedi,

I'm not sure I understand your question. What does the avg. age of
the class have to do with your GPA/MCAT? Also, why were you trying to
get a job? Are you committed to medicine or aren't you? (This is what
an addmissions committee would be asking.)

Deb

To OMTjedi:
Apply after June 1, try getting better MCAT scores, and work as an EMT. Really you know what needs to be done, just trust your good judgement and test your fortitude. What makes a good physician is the one who sees what needs done and does it. There are no short cuts to success. Only retake the MCAT if you are going to put the time in to improve and maintain (the 10) your scores. GPA is good but need the MCAT score to match it or it says that you don?t retain well or went to an easy school. Remember when you talk to interviewers that tools (OMT) do not make the DO, but the practice of the four tenets of Osteopathic Medicine do. Being an osteopathic physician is not OMT + MD = DO.

To Osteoluv:
Any school may not consider you depending on what you got the D?s in. In all prerequisite classes you must have a C or better before applying. Make sure you have the classes repeated in the spring semester so that you may be able to apply with passing grades in June of 1999. Never wait to apply. The early application is key to acceptance. Something to remember is that even though you repeat classes all grades are on your transcripts and must be reported to the schools. There is no way to dress up a pair of D?s on an application, they will always be red flagged. You definitely need to be able to explain the failure.

Hi Osteoluv,

I am an "older" med student, but my undergrad grades from 10 years ago were not the greatest. I failed freshman chemistry and Physics 1. So I had F's on my report. But maturity is a wonderful thing hehe
smile.gif
And when I wanted to apply to med school, I retook all those classes and got A's in all of them.

And now I sit as an MS-I. So my point is that it can be done. But you must do excellent in your grades from now on. To show you are capable and that those poor grades are NOT the norm for you.

Good luck!
smile.gif

Billie

I graduated with a bS in microbiology when I was 20 and interviewed when I was 21. My GPA is slightly lower than yours, but my MCAT score was 1 point higher. I was recently accepted into my first choice school (Nova). I think that the difficulty of my classes may have helped me; you definitely have a chance for the class of 2000.
Brooke

I think you should be ok. We will all be ok. :laugh: I think u just have to try real hard at everything you do. try real hard at the one think you want most of all. then you can achieve anything within reason of course. :)

Nate said:
Talk about resurrecting the dead… I don’t think I have seen a post from 1998 until now.

HaHa...realfriend is giving advice to someone about getting into med school who is probably in his last year of residency by now :laugh:

medic170 said:
HaHa...realfriend is giving advice to someone about getting into med school who is probably in his last year of residency by now :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

View Profile: OMTjedi
0+ PostsOMTjedi
Last Activity: 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

It is even older than we think!

Brooke said:
you definitely have a chance for the class of 2000.

Yeah talk about ancient. I was like 2000?? :laugh:

I can't believe this message board is that old. I don't even think I had internet at that point :eek:

Kevbot said:
I can't believe this message board is that old. I don't even think I had internet at that point :eek:

LOL !!!!!!!

:horns:

I was in diapers when this post was started :laugh: :laugh: