MCAT + GPA in Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LordH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I've received a couple of surprising IIs that were complete reaches for me (e.g. at the 10th percentile, around 3 pts MCAT avgs above mine , 0.1 or 0.2 higher avg GPA than mine, etc). Not a URM.

Mostly for adcoms, but how do MCAT and GPA factor into the interview results? I feel like most people agree that stats = interview, *good interview = acceptance, but I'm a little concerned that after the interview, they'll refer back to MCAT and GPA to choose candidates when they have trouble deciding and it makes me a bit nervous :/ would appreciate feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand, (i'm applying this cycle too), once you have the interview, you shoudl really focus on everything besides your stats. The fact that they offered you an interview means they're comfortable with your academic record and now they wanna figure out what kind of person you are and how you'll fit into their school.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong! ~

Congrats on all your II and good luck on everything!

At my school, we have wait listed people because of this mindset from an interviewer:

"Nice guy/gal, but I'm worried about that sGPA". Substitute MCAT if you wish.

But someone saw something interesting in you.

Hey all,

So I've received a couple of surprising IIs that were complete reaches for me (e.g. at the 10th percentile, around 3 pts MCAT avgs above mine , 0.1 or 0.2 higher avg GPA than mine, etc). Not a URM.

Mostly for adcoms, but how do MCAT and GPA factor into the interview results? I feel like most people agree that stats = interview, interview = acceptance, but I'm a little concerned that after the interview, they'll refer back to MCAT and GPA to choose candidates when they have trouble deciding and it makes me a bit nervous :/ would appreciate feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, we have wait listed people because of this mindset from an interviewer:

"Nice guy/gal, but I'm worried about that sGPA". Substitute MCAT if you wish.

But someone saw something interesting in you.

Thanks for the feedback, Goro. Do you think it's worth mentioning about a numeric detriment (e.g. low GPA, low subsection score, etc) if they ask something generic like, "Anything you like us to know" or "Is there anything else you would like to say?"

Or lay low and hope it is overshadowed?

I was in your shoes: I got an interview invite from a top 10 that I had no business whatsoever receiving. The only thing you can do is present yourself the best you can. Your grades are set in stone. Maybe you might kill the interview and enough people vote to take a chance on you. I thought I did fairly well, but I'm not at that school so I guess not. No gain no loss.

Never bring attention to a negative.

Thanks for the feedback, Goro. Do you think it's worth mentioning about a numeric detriment (e.g. low GPA, low subsection score, etc) if they ask something generic like, "Anything you like us to know" or "Is there anything else you would like to say?"

Or lay low and hope it is overshadowed?

If they care about your low stats they'll ask about it. Be sure to have a good answer...