Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

mcat/gpa vs. # of acceptances... trends?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by fun8stuff, Mar 15, 2004.

1. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was wondering if those of you who have multiple acceptances wouldn't mind posting
    1) mcat/gpa
    2) # of acceptances

Obviously people can only pick one place to go, but # of acceptances should indicate how competitve an applicant one is.

Also, this could be an indication of how much numbers really matter. Anyways, I'm just curious. I got started thinking about this because I know people with 4.0, mcat 33+, good ECs, but no acceptances. I also know people with =<4.0, =<32, with pretty good ECs with many acceptances- and to some good schools at that. How often does essay writing and interviewing make a difference? Is it just a freak occurence? Do you think it is because of ECs, personality, or both? Is it that undergrad makes a difference? AHhhhHh! Too many variables!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    fine..ill tickle your fancy...;)

3.4 31...3 acceptances...1WL

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

29, 3.7

4 acceptances, 2 MD and 2 DO.

I think interviewing counts a lot. If you interview well it may help overlook lower stats.

4. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

3.5/32

2 acceptances

5. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

In the end, it's a crapshoot. Having higher numbers just gets you more chances to roll the dice. You still have to be lucky.

6. BigRedPingpong

BigRedPingpong Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Crapshoot? Yes, but a predictable one. If you have high #'s chances of you getting in to a #'s ***** school are better. If you live in the tristate area, chances of you getting into NY private schools are better. If you've done extensive research, your chances of going to a top 10 research instituton is better. It's not entirely a crapshoot with everyone having an equal shot. It's definitely predictable to a certain extent.

7. 4.0/37

4 acceptances, 2 WL

I cancelled a bunch of interviews (like Stanford, Mayo, Columbia) when I got into Hopkins which was very early on.

It's really a crapshoot, trust me. Don't read too much into the numbers.

8. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Someone make some sort of crazy 3 dimentional chart with this info.