mcat/gpa vs. # of acceptances... trends?

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2003
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I was wondering if those of you who have multiple acceptances wouldn't mind posting
    1) mcat/gpa
    2) # of acceptances

Obviously people can only pick one place to go, but # of acceptances should indicate how competitve an applicant one is.

Also, this could be an indication of how much numbers really matter. Anyways, I'm just curious. I got started thinking about this because I know people with 4.0, mcat 33+, good ECs, but no acceptances. I also know people with =<4.0, =<32, with pretty good ECs with many acceptances- and to some good schools at that. How often does essay writing and interviewing make a difference? Is it just a freak occurence? Do you think it is because of ECs, personality, or both? Is it that undergrad makes a difference? AHhhhHh! Too many variables!

About the Ads

BigRedPingpong

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 18, 2003
    NY
      Originally posted by Alexander99
      In the end, it's a crapshoot. Having higher numbers just gets you more chances to roll the dice. You still have to be lucky.

Crapshoot? Yes, but a predictable one. If you have high #'s chances of you getting in to a #'s ***** school are better. If you live in the tristate area, chances of you getting into NY private schools are better. If you've done extensive research, your chances of going to a top 10 research instituton is better. It's not entirely a crapshoot with everyone having an equal shot. It's definitely predictable to a certain extent.

4.0/37

4 acceptances, 2 WL

I cancelled a bunch of interviews (like Stanford, Mayo, Columbia) when I got into Hopkins which was very early on.

It's really a crapshoot, trust me. Don't read too much into the numbers.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.