MCAT Grading Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caffeine91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote earlier this month and realized I made about 4 DUMB mistakes on PS. My question is, does missing 4 easy questions weigh more negatively on your score than missing 4 harder questions? Or does the AAMC just look at the total number correct out of 52? Knowing that I got 4 wrong is driving me crazy lol stupid 30 day waiting period

Members don't see this ad.

The grading of the MCAT is a mystery. First time I took it, I thought I did really well on PS, got a 10.

Second time, I estimated I got at least 10 questions incorrect on PS, and immediately registered for a re-take. I got a 13.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The grading of the MCAT is a mystery. I estimated I got at least 10 questions incorrect on PS, and immediately registered for a re-take. I got a 13.
My goodness I hope that is the case for me! lol. I registered for a retake, walking out I felt like I got a 32-34, but my average was 37.. so I'm keeping my fingers crossed

My goodness I hope that is the case for me! lol. I registered for a retake, walking out I felt like I got a 32-34, but my average was 37.. so I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Yep. My average was also high 30s. Walked out hoping I got a 32. I ended up getting exactly my AAMC average. If I had to make a bet, I'd put money that you got a 37 +/- 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. My average was also high 30s. Walked out hoping I got a 32. I ended up getting exactly my AAMC average. If I had to make a bet, I'd put money that you got a 37 +/- 1.
I hope so, I just worry that my nerves might have made me foggy (as it did on some easy PS questions). I wonder why it takes a month to get scores back now that there is no writing seciton

I hope so, I just worry that my nerves might have made me foggy (as it did on some easy PS questions). I wonder why it takes a month to get scores back now that there is no writing seciton

Because this way, they collect $300 from people who sign up for retakes.

The best thing you can do right now is to get off SDN. Take a break. There's nothing you can do until you get your scores. Furthermore, plenty of people have thought they scored poorly that end up doing well.

If you are asking if each question has a different value which influences the overall section score, then it was stated in the Official MCAT guide that each question has the same point value in regards to the scale for each section. What isn't specified is which questions are marked as the "experimental/no value" questions that are only used as a point-less diagnostic that have no effect on your scaled score.

The best thing you can do right now is to get off SDN. Take a break. There's nothing you can do until you get your scores. Furthermore, plenty of people have thought they scored poorly that end up doing well.
You dont think it would be a good idea to study ~1 hour a day just in case I need to retake? I know I missed a handful of relatively easy PS problems which has killed all of my confidence about my test taking ability that day

Nope, it's not worth your time. Give yourself some time to recharge. All you're doing now is creating needless stress. Go out and do something you enjoy.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope, it's not worth your time. Give yourself some time to recharge. All you're doing now is creating needless stress. Go out and do something you enjoy.
Thank You! I am in the same boat

Last edited:
I wrote earlier this month and realized I made about 4 DUMB mistakes on PS. My question is, does missing 4 easy questions weigh more negatively on your score than missing 4 harder questions? Or does the AAMC just look at the total number correct out of 52? Knowing that I got 4 wrong is driving me crazy lol stupid 30 day waiting period

I wrote earlier this year (jan 25th) and know that I missed 2 or 3 silly questions on PS. I know the posters on this thread have said to not worry, but I am working just like you OP! My PS average was 12-13 and already knowing that I missed 2-3, a 13 seems like a far stretch. When people say that the real mcat grading is a mystery, how different can it be from the AAMC practice tests? I am slightly pessimistic about my performance on the PS section just like you are OP. I hope things go our way but it just seems like hoping for a miracle.

I wrote earlier this year (jan 25th) and know that I missed 2 or 3 silly questions on PS. I know the posters on this thread have said to not worry, but I am working just like you OP! My PS average was 12-13 and already knowing that I missed 2-3, a 13 seems like a far stretch. When people say that the real mcat grading is a mystery, how different can it be from the AAMC practice tests? I am slightly pessimistic about my performance on the PS section just like you are OP. I hope things go our way but it just seems like hoping for a miracle.
I wrote on the 25th too!Yeah man like I look back and I'm like "I missed that?!" 1 of the 4 I'm not sure if I missed. 2 were dumb calculation errors by going too fast. And one was not understanding simple terminology. Ugh at this rate my 37 average is the only thing making me think I'm not getting a sub 32. Verbal I don't know what to think... Bs I loved it was just up my alley but then again who knows