MCAT Grading Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so just took the mcat today and in my opinion it was significantly harder then the aamc ones, i am just really confused on the grading scale. i have heard that its based on a percentile "bell" curve and at the same time have heard that the scale is pre-determined from old tests. does anyone know how it actually is. also from looking at the scales from the aamc ones online it seems that normally the scale is pretty consistent (38-42 on bs and ps for a 10 and 29-32 on verbal for a ten) are these the ranges we can expect to see?

also, when you get your score report does it tell you the cutoffs, if someone has a recent score cutoff could you please share?

Members don't see this ad.

so just took the mcat today and in my opinion it was significantly harder then the aamc ones, i am just really confused on the grading scale. i have heard that its based on a percentile "bell" curve and at the same time have heard that the scale is pre-determined from old tests. does anyone know how it actually is. also from looking at the scales from the aamc ones online it seems that normally the scale is pretty consistent (38-42 on bs and ps for a 10 and 29-32 on verbal for a ten) are these the ranges we can expect to see?

also, when you get your score report does it tell you the cutoffs, if someone has a recent score cutoff could you please share?

Your MCAT score report does NOT report any raw scores or cutoffs. It just gives you your sub-section scores and total score along with a percentile range.

Do you mind sharing in what way you felt your exam was more difficult than AAMC exams?