MCAT guidance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lakini

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post, I'd appreciate anyones input. I'm 31, married with two little girls and decided to apply to med school two years ago. I feel very strongly about Osteopathy and would really like to be a DO. I recently finished my pre-req's and am applying this summer. I graduated from Penn State in 1990 with a BS in Psych and a 3.0 gpa (virtually no sciences). Master's in Human Resources Management, 3.4 gpa. I took my pre-req's over the past two years at NC State and a small university here in VA, including a year of full-time study. My post-bacc gpa is 3.95, this includes all my pre-req's plus calculus, biochem and genetics. Overall gpa is 3.33, science 3.68. I took the MCAT last August and got a 30 (12V,9P,9B). I have worked in various mental health settings in the past and have worked for the last eighteen months as a patient care tech at a hospital for children with chronic illnesses. I have worked at least thirty hours/week the entire time I have been in school, including undergrad.
Okay, so my questions are: Should I retake the MCAT given my nines in the sciences? Has anyone else out there gotten accepted with similar scores/background? I don't think my scores are that bad, but my gpa is not what I would like it to be and I want to leave as little to chance as I can. I appreciate anyone who can give me a little direction.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Let me tell you...as far as D.O. school...your age, experience, sci cum...MCATS...are AWESOME!!!!!! You are in a pretty place.....Read up on Osteopathy, like "The D.O.'s" by Norman Gevitz, and think about your AACOMAS personal statement. You should be in excellent standings...Congratulations...

Do not waste anymore time! Assuming your other qualifications are in order, apply this summer. There is no need for you to retake the MCATs. Spend the time remaining getting letters of rec, shadowing a DO, writing an outstanding personal statement. Oh, and spend time with your family and enjoy life a little... it may be the last time you have it so easy if you do get into a school.

Good luck to you. I also entered med school @ the ripe age of 31, and I haven't had any regrets.

Members don't see this ad :)
DON'T WORRY!!! I'm 29, a mom, and was accepted at TCOM. I graduated in 1992 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Theatre, GPA 3.51. With my post-bacc work included, I have a 3.71. MCAT: 10V, 8P, 10B. Had no problems getting interviews at allopathic and osteopathic schools. Relax and enjoy the application process--let yourself shine and you'll have lots of offers!

Kristi
TCOM 2004

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words! I've found that this whole process can be overwhelming and its hard to know when you are really competitive. As I'm sure a lot of you out there know, being an older student and changing careers can be awfully scary, especially if you have a family. I hate to think that all my hard work and sacrifices I've put my family through might be all for nothing if I don't get accepted. I'm feeling a lot more optimistic after reading your replies. Thanks again!

Let me tell you, you will be very competitive with your scores and MCAT. I am in about the same situation as you. I'm 30, I recieved my BA in international business in 1992 and my GPA was a 3.2. In my post-bac work my GPA is a 3.5 and I got a 26Q on the MCAT. I applied to 8 schools and was offered 7 interviews and was accepted into two. Your s cores are a little better and you have experience in the healthcare field. The only advantage I have would be the fact that I was a missionary for two years and I was in the military for four. This seemed to help me in the interview. Your last big hurdle would seem to be the personal statement and the interview. The best advice I got about the interview is to treat it as a date in a sense. You are putting your best foot foward but so are they. So just have fun with it and remember they wouldn't ask you for an interview if they didn't want you there. By the way do you know what Lakini means?

Pepe,
Thanks for the input and congratulation BTW.
Do you mind if I ask where you got accepted? I got the name Lakini from the Live song "Lakini's Juice". The meaning is lost to me, I hope it's not Latin for pedophile or something! Do you know what it refers to?

Dave (Lakini)

"Lakini" means "but" or "however" in Swahili. Swahili is a language used widely in Africa; it (the language) evolved from Arabic, Bantu dialects, and Portugese (sp).

Lakini,
I was accepted into TCOM and to the allopathic program in San Antonio. Osteopathic programs have the reputation of being kinder to older applicants and San Antonio is supposed to try to get a more diverse student body as well. Anyway If you do apply to DO schools one of the best things to do is to apply early b/c most DO schools have a rolling admission and when the slots are filled thats it. Where do you plan on applying to? I'm not sure when the AACOMAS applications come out but it should be pretty soon. Good luck

Pepe,
I'll probably apply to all the schools, except maybe Texas, NJ and Michigan because they so heavily favor residents.(I'm a Virginia resident)I'll also apply to Virginia's allopathic schools (3). Any suggestions about schools not worth applying to? I think West Virginia favors residents but I may have a shot since VA borders the state and there are no DO schools in VA.
frown.gif

My first choice is AZCOM (partly because of the weather) other than that I'll go wherever I can get in.
Lakini

Lakini,
I hesitate to endorse or discount any school simply because what I value in a school might not be what you value. I definitely have strong opinions about the schools I interviewed at but that is all they are. Arizona is supposed to be pretty nice and will probably be one of the best Osteopathic school eventually.

Pepe,
I'm sorry but I meant schools that it would be useless to apply to since I am not a resident of that state. I wasn't referring to the quality of schools. A lot of people like to debate about which schools are best but I just want to be a doctor. All the schools have their pros and cons but I realize that literally thousands of people that want to go to medical school are rejected each year. If it gets down to having several acceptances then I'll look at the merits of each school and decide. But honestly, for now they're all the same to me, paths to my ultimate goal of being a physician.
smile.gif

Lakini