MCAT gurus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted9493

I'm looking for verbal passages with which to practice my skills for the April 03' MCAT. I already have examkrackers but would like additional sources and I've narrowed it down to four. Berkely Review, Princeton Review, Columbia Review and Kaplan. For those of you who have taken the MCAT, which of these is most MCAT-like? What are the pros and cons of each? I appreciate any opinions you guys might have. I want to get a great deal of practice in over Christmas break. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i took PR and thought they were pretty good...

I really liked the Kaplan MCAT 45. It had more difficult passages and broke it down into techniques. However, it doens't have full practice. I couldn't afford to take course, but all the Kaplan books very helpful. Went from 24 to 29, with little comprehensive study in between--I used more second time for test taking skills, first time comprehensive ( I was in military training during summer and unable to study.)

Also--if you just want to crack out practice exams--use Golds

Members don't see this ad :)
Im no guru but I definitely felt that Kaplan's test prep materials (ie practice problem sets and practice tests) were extremely helpful. Ultimately, teaching doesnt really matter for these kinds of courses and the books are relatively similar to each other (since the AAMC defines the topics). So take whichever is a better deal, and understand that practice sets are the best thing about any review course (and I felt Kaplan had really good prep materials, but you cant take them out of the facility which makes it a problem if you live far away from a center).

Good luck!

I liked kaplan myself. downside: you can't take the materials out of the centers...

you can buy some kaplan MCAT books online or at Barnes and Nobles. That is what I did. I bought comprehensive review and Mcat 45.

So the consensus is:

1. Prep courses good for practice and the books they provide
2. The prep course you take really doesnt matter, only how hard you work
3. Good luck!