MCAT Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoatBoy

Manboob Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK heres my situation, I do well on the AAMC practice tests, consistently scoring 33-35 and am fairly balanced in all sections with my science scores being slightly higher than my VR.
But on the real thing, my VR scores slip drastically (actually this happened only once as I have only taken the test once).
I cant explain it. I thought maybe it was just the stress and pressure of the test, but my science scores did not slip at all.
I try to write the practices in as real MCAT-like conditions as possible. So I dont think that is a factor.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you were just unlucky and had some really difficult passages. I had to analyze a poem when I took the test last summer. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Your score may have slipped due to time constraints. I took the April 2001 MCAT and I found the VR section to be much longer than any of the practice tests I did. My friend said the same thing too. We both read extremely fast, and yet still had trouble finishing on time. I consistently scored 12-13 on practice tests, but got 10 on the real thing. My advice...keep doing as many practice tests as possible, because it can only improve your ability to read quickly.

I'd hazard that you stressed out when taking the actual thing.

Plus, are you taking your practice tests starting at 9 am?

Andrew

My suggestion..
DON'T do any Verbal practice and TAKE A timer. The first time I used my watch. BIG BIG mistake! I also underlined passages! HUGE MISTAKE! Never do that...HUGE waste of time...
So take a timer that WILL NOT beep..if it does...open it and disconnect the wires that makes it beep..i am glad i did this b/c they were super anal at my place and wouldn't allow anyone with a beeping device in the room.
Most important to finish the first 4 passages and questions in the first 25 minutes..they are gonig to be easy..don't waste your time on those..then slow down for the rest b/c those are going to be hard. ON BR's tests, I always scored between 7 to 10 and then the first time I took it i scored an 08. Next time, I said screw it..i TOOK ONE practice test...from PR...did ok on it..and said..cool, forget it...I got a 10. Verbal is more of a luck game I think..especially if you only have a couple days left...you aren't going to learn anything new between now and then..

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:
•My suggestion..
DON'T do any Verbal practice and TAKE A timer. The first time I used my watch. BIG BIG mistake! I also underlined passages! HUGE MISTAKE! Never do that...HUGE waste of time...•

While everyone has their own methods that work, I disagree with Scooby's suggestions.

I got an 11 on VR with the following method, but like I said, it may not work well for you.

First, you have to remember that understanding the passages and being able to recount them later is of absolutely no value. The only thing that matters is getting the questions right. I could only vaguely remember about half of the passages from my test, and now I can't remember one.

I start by scanning the questions to find those that ask for "facts" that HAVE to be explicitly answered in the passage (dates, names, etc.). Try to note what these are, and go to the passage.

I take a pencil and go very fast down the passage underlining dates, and facts, and forceful words (every, never, always, etc.). If you find a fact that you noticed was in a question, make a large arrow to it so you don't waste time finding it when you get to the questions.

You should get a very good feel as to the tone of the passage, and every fact will be easy to find.

Go to the questions, and if they are fact-based, you already have the answer underlined. Just find it and insert the correct answer. For the other questions, you should find that you have an answer for most of them as soon as you read the question. Don't forget to read all the possible answers, no matter how obvious choice B seems. :)

Note: If you are in doubt, don't waste five minutes trying to decide which is correct. Just go with your gut instinct, and NEVER change your answers. I checked this, and my gut feeling was right about 70% and the answers I changed were changed from right to wrong about 70% of the time.

As far as timers go, I think they're useless, as long as you have access to a watch or clock (I prefer hands over digital). Just note when the stop time will be, and you can easily tell how much time you have used and how much you have left.

Like I said, it may not work for everyone, but my 11 was enough to satisfy me. Also, this method doesn't waste much time. I had about 30 minutes left on every practice, and almost 20 minutes left on verbal during the real thing.