MCAT Homestudy: supplementing Examkrackers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed bedhead

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am following EK's 10-week home study schedule to prepare for the MCAT on August 15th. I'm becoming somewhat paranoid over the lack of depth in some sections, though, would like to supplement EK with additional prep books -- perhaps Kaplan's Premier Program, Princeton Review, Berkeley Review Homestudy, etc, but I don't want to overload myself.

Does anyone have any strong opinions on which book(s) would be best to use?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm using EK materials as well and I agree with you. I'm currently supplementing the materials with the Kaplan Premier Book along with college textbooks. I only use the textbooks for material I'm not completely clear on. So far, this method seems to be working well.

yeah, i'm in the same boat as you guys. i just picked up one of my friends old tpr books to go over some of the stuff that isnt covered to well with the ek stuff (ie. chemistry and physics)

would you guys care to explain? i bought ek complete study guide, and i think its going fine, im not really sure what i am missing that ek doesn't cover.

Members don't see this ad :)
would you guys care to explain? i bought ek complete study guide, and i think its going fine, im not really sure what i am missing that ek doesn't cover.

it more of supplementing what EK brushes over compared to other books which go into greater detail. EK to me seems to be more geared toward students who have a basic understanding of all the topics and want a refresher about the topics and then some more.

I'm supplementing the EK books with Kaplan Premier Program too. Right now, I'm going to read the whole Kaplan book before starting the EK 10 week home study on July 7. I'm taking the MCAT on September 13. I have read some of the EK, and I do think Kaplan covers more. We'll see how it goes! :)

same deal here. I think EK is excellent for bio and I dont really need much orgo review. I'm using NOVA for physics and kaplan to supplement both physics and EK for inorganic. Hopefully it works out.

i'm supplementing ek with kaplan, gold standard, nova physics, and the list that aamc topics tested. i like to look at the topic list and then read on that topic in all the books