MCAT in 1 month, focus on TBR passages or TPRH Workbook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eddie Chahar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I am retaking the MCAT in early September, particularly because I had a poor verbal reasoning score, which I have significantly improved. Long story short, I am finishing my content review by Monday or Tuesday, and I will be taking my first full length on Friday (AAMC3).

Over the next month, I will be doing the AAMC self assessments, 3-4 more full lengths, reviewing my typed notes, and doing practice passages until exam day. However, in regards to practice passages, should I place more emphasis on the TBR passages or TPRH science workbook? I have both resources so I want to use them appropriately for this last month of review. Timing is NOT an issue in any of the sections, so I don't want to take a ton of full lengths. I just want some good content practice, and I'm not sure which resource is better for that.

Also, I have about 10 kaplan full length verbal exams. Should I even bother using these? I have exhausted EK101 and I only have a few passages of TPRH verbal left, not including the 4 full lengths it comes with. I just want all the verbal practice I get in regards to timing to ensure I nail a 10+ on exam day.

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also retaking in early September due to a poor verbal score. I have been practicing a few passage in each sitting and really trying to pay attention to the main point and applying that every time I answer a question. My score is not improving and I am really worried.

How did you improve your scored significantly?

Yeah it's painful. Look at one of my recent posts about my verbal strategy. Increased it from 5 to consistent 10-11 in 3 weeks of work, hopefully it continues to improve.

Looks like TPRH is the way to go for content review. Thank you! Any other feedback appreciated as well. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it's painful. Look at one of my recent posts about my verbal strategy. Increased it from 5 to consistent 10-11 in 3 weeks of work, hopefully it continues to improve.

Looks like TPRH is the way to go for content review. Thank you! Any other feedback appreciated as well. :)

would you mind sharing the link to your post re verbal ? would love to see it :)

I personally find TBR to be more representative for physics, ochem and gchem. For biol I think TPR is the way to go.

Reactions: 1 users
I've always been a firm believer in solving problems for the most part towards the end. By now your foundation (knowledge) should be built and you have to learn to put it to good use. Of course you can strengthen your understanding of concepts as you go, but as long as you are solving problems you are doing the right thing towards the end. If you've exhausted EK then it doesn't matter that much which other materials you are choosing. Just make sure you do all AAMC full-length tests.

I've always been a firm believer in solving problems for the most part towards the end. By now your foundation (knowledge) should be built and you have to learn to put it to good use. Of course you can strengthen your understanding of concepts as you go, but as long as you are solving problems you are doing the right thing towards the end. If you've exhausted EK then it doesn't matter that much which other materials you are choosing. Just make sure you do all AAMC full-length tests.

And IMO, this should be done 2 a week for 4 weeks before your exam. From what I have been hearing constantly from people is that heavy post-game is necessary even if you do very well.

It would be great to hear more about the TBR vs TPRH workbook in terms of practice passages. I will be in the same boat in about 10 days time and am wondering whether it would be better to do the passages from TBR or TPRH for in between full length practice. I've heard things along the same lines as what Sammy1024 said, but more opinions would really be great! (I've heard that TPRH might be on the easier side?)

Thanks in advance!

It would be great to hear more about the TBR vs TPRH workbook in terms of practice passages. I will be in the same boat in about 10 days time and am wondering whether it would be better to do the passages from TBR or TPRH for in between full length practice. I've heard things along the same lines as what Sammy1024 said, but more opinions would really be great! (I've heard that TPRH might be on the easier side?)

Thanks in advance!

TBR chem and physics passages are much better I feel. TPRH physics and gen chem passages are literally discretes in disguise; they're not real passages. Especially the TPRH physics. For bio TPRH is much better though !