MCAT in 7 days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

500miles

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am scheduled to take the MCAT in 7 days and I just did aamc fl 2 which has me worried.
I have been aiming for a 506 and I don't know if that will be possible.
Here is my FL history.

Kaplan fl 1 494 - C/P 122 CARS 124 B/B 124 P/S 124
Kaplan fl 2 501 - C/P 125 CARS 126 B/B 124 P/S 124
Kaplan fl 3 499 - C/P 124 CARS 126 B/B 124 P/S 125

aamc fl 1 503 - C/P 126 CARS 125 B/B 127 P/S 125
aamc fl 2 502 - C/P 128 CARS 123 B/B 126 P/S 125

I was pretty bummed to see my aamc drove a point today, although I completely changed my CARS strategy for this test and if failed miserably leading me to run out of time on that section. So I do think that my CARS would have been 1-2 points higher normally, and based on my kaplan tests CARS was also usually higher than 123. But even if I was optimistic and gave myself those points, I would be at 504 right now. I know that no one knows for sure, but I'm just looking for some advice on if I should just take it next week as a practice and try to do better studying for a future date. The only problem is that I won't have time to study until next fall and I will be working full time then.

Should I go for it and try, or postpone?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you are dead set on 506, I would probably postpone. The last 2 years I took the mcat i always scored 1 point below the real thing. Last year scored 505 on AAMC FL1, real score was 504. This year i scored 513 on AAMC FL2, real score 512. However, you do see people with much better scores on the real test compared to practice exams. If you feel lucky then take the test. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on this beast of a test with only luck on my side.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input. I'm starting to lean towards that honestly, although I really want this stupid thing to be over! Did it feel like starting over after your year away from the test, or did you find that you started where you left off? i'm just worried about the 5-6 months that will go by and forgetting the things I have learned. And on that note, did you start over again with just straight content review, or did you do more problem based things?

Thanks alot

Hello everyone! I just wanted to give an update on my June 16th MCAT. I ended up scoring it because I couldn't help but feel like I went through all of it for nothing. I looked at my score today - didn't know that it had been posted for 3 days! I scored 507 (74%), which I am really excited about. Here's the breakdown.
C/P 128
CARS 123 (not too happy about that one)
B/B 126
P/S 130 (!)

Do you think the CARS will be a problem for me? It's a fairly unbalanced breakdown.. Could someone also explain to me what is meant by the confidence band of 505-509? Will my score change come next May?

Anyway, thought you all might be interested.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
The confidence band means that if you took the test repeatedly, you'd score between 505-509 most of the time. It's sort of like a 95% confidence interval (though I'm not sure it's 95% in this case?)
Your score won't change in May, but your percentile rank might change slightly.

Hello everyone! I just wanted to give an update on my June 16th MCAT. I ended up scoring it because I couldn't help but feel like I went through all of it for nothing. I looked at my score today - didn't know that it had been posted for 3 days! I scored 507 (74%), which I am really excited about. Here's the breakdown.
C/P 128
CARS 123 (not too happy about that one)
B/B 126
P/S 130 (!)

Do you think the CARS will be a problem for me? It's a fairly unbalanced breakdown.. Could someone also explain to me what is meant by the confidence band of 505-509? Will my score change come next May?

Anyway, thought you all might be interested.
Thanks!

507 isn't a really good score and CARS is pathetically low. You might get screened out by lots of MD school.
Apply board in DO school. Also finally it depends on your residency, ECs, or other staff.

507 isn't a really good score and CARS is pathetically low. You might get screened out by lots of MD school.
Apply board in DO school. Also finally it depends on your residency, ECs, or other staff.
507 is pretty close to the overall avg of 509 and CARS is given the most slack. OP post in WAMC for another opinion but if everything else is in order MD is within reach!

507 is pretty close to the overall avg of 509 and CARS is given the most slack. OP post in WAMC for another opinion but if everything else is in order MD is within reach!

What I worried was 123 in CARS, which was below 10% of nationally accepted students according to MSAR.
However, maybe you are right. I think OP deserves a try, although I thought it might be risky. On the other side, having a plan B to apply to DO school doesn't seem bad.

BTW, sorry I have no idea what you meant by WAMC...

What I worried was 123 in CARS, which was below 10% of nationally accepted students according to MSAR.
However, maybe you are right. I think OP deserves a try, although I thought it might be risky. On the other side, having a plan B to apply to DO school doesn't seem bad.

BTW, sorry I have no idea what you meant by WAMC...

I feel you I think somewhere between both of us is the sweet spot!:)

Oh WAMC is the what are my chances subform! Where people comment what schools people should apply to based on their app profile. You should check it out!

I disagree, with a balanced 507 it may have been possible to get some interviews to lower tier MDs. However, with a 123 in CARS OP will be screened out at schools. CARS is given some lenience if it is lower than other sections but below a 125 is killer.

You may only have luck in DO, or you should retake if dead set on MD