MCAT in 7 months, 4 months to study (non-continuous)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronnicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The thing is, I will be working full-time over summer(might be able to do some light review), so my main study blocks will be these two months before school lets out and September/October before the November 7th test date (this way I can retake in January 2015 if I need to). I will be taking a full course-load in addition to MCAT Prep during these 4 months. So I’m unsure how to proceed- should I buy the books and start prepping now, even though I may forget a lot of material over summer or should I go over my previous courses and textbooks now, making sure I have a good grasp of the material and then intense prep September/October?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't recommend splitting up your studying like that. If you start studying and then stop for three months, you're not going to remember the information you learned before summer as well as you'll need to when you start up again. I'd recommend doing whatever you can to have your prep be continuous if at all possible. Maybe work full time during the first month of summer and then drop down to part time for the last two months, doing your prep from July-October.

I asked my boss about it and he said the most he could do was let me off mid August. I might be able to study for 1-2 hours a day July-August but I'm not sure how helpful that'd be.

Yeah I know- I was thinking I might be able to light study (1-2 hours a day) for the first 5 months and then intensive review the first month and practice tests the last month. What do you think?