MCAT in april 2000

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MTY

hi everyone,
i like to creat a discusson group for the mcat of 2000. anyone of you who is taking the mcat in april 2000, we can form a problem-solving group so we can discuss mcat problems over the internet.
sounds good?
unfortunately, there's no "picture screen" when it comes to orgo mechanism or bio charts. any suggestion?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds great!! I would think for the science things that many people are studying from the same books;PR, kaplan, or the "bookstore" books. If we cant verbalize the problems, maybe we can refer to the books if we have them.

Only 5 months left! I feel like my whole future is riding on this test....

Is anyone using the Gold Standard book??? I took a full legnth practice exam (after reviewing) and scored lower than when I took a practice exam from another book (without studying!). Which practice materials are closest to the real thing?

Also how many hours are you all devoting to studying?

Members don't see this ad :)
yup five months left.
currently, i'm working full-time, so i only can devote about 2 to 3 months each day. i want to get on a serious and consistent study schedule on the mcat soon, maybe tonight.
i'm using kaplan study book. my suggestion to this 'internet study group' is that we all can post a mcat question on this site. we can discuss the question and solution together.
trust me, if you type the question on the screen and get involved with other people online, you will get a better grasp of the mcat problem and easier to stick to your head. so, let's all work hard together.

to tanya and no fear,
if you guys are really interested in this mcat study group. i say how about we all do one passage of one subject per day. since it's novemeber right now, let's try not to push us too hard. don't burn ourselves out yet. so what do you think? do one passage, (not one test) per night. type the question on the site. if anyone knows where we can draw a graph or picture for orgo, that would be great!!

Good idea guys! Even though I'm not taking the MCAT until August, I'd be interested in joining this online study group.

Hello everyone!
It's nice to see everyone getting a head start on the april MCAT. I took it this past august and feel that the earlier you get started the better. Since I visit here once in a while I'd be glad to help out on any MCAT questions you may have. (I did really well on mine).

sounds great guys!
i will try to work on a passage, hopefully i can post a good problem that we can discuss.

by the way gang, let's inform each other when mcat packet has arrived. i will try to contact them maybe dec or jan.

to update all of my 'current info' in case anyone of you is interested.
the current applicant for med is approximately 40,000. we are expecting it to decrease down to 38,000-39,000 for the upcoming year. (i guess it's a positive sign for those who are applying next year!)

hi guys, i want to appreciate whoever is interested in joining my 'internet study group'. i will enthusiastically to share all the med school insight or info with you guys. my object- hope all of you including myself will get accepted to med school and reach that dream of ours.

for you who are interested in knowing the stats:
the mcat avg stats for 1999 applicants vs 1999 matriculants:
1999 applicants: standard deviation are in parenthesis.
vr: 8.7 (2.1)
ps: 9.0 (2.2)
bs: 9.3 (2.1)
ws: P
gpa sci: 3.34 (0.46) non-sci: 3.55 (0.35)
total applicant: 38,529 compare to 41,003 in 1998

1999 matriculants:
vr: 9.5 (1.7)
ps: 10.0(1.9)
bs: 10.2 (1.7)
ws: P
gpa sci: 3.53 (0.36) non-sci: 3.66 (0.30)
total matriculant: 16,221 compare to 16,170 in 1998.

the stat report was from aamc data warehouse: applicant matriculant file. as of nov. 3, 1999.

gotta make sure that i didn't violate any copyright infringement.

What are some study schedules people are using to study for the April MCAT?

Does it help to focus on one subject a week?
I have been bouncing from subject to subject each day...

Also what works better studey from review outlines or textbooks? Do practice problems only in the style of MCAT question or textbook problems?

I need to change my study style. What I'm doing now is not helping my practice MCAT scores to improve. Its getting frustrating! I was wondering what worked best for other students.

------------------
-Tanya
Class of '05 at ????
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise" -Maya Angelou "Still I Rise"

[This message has been edited by Tanya (edited 12-01-1999).]

My advice to all MCAT studyers:

You should be in a prep course if you can afford it. They give you compehensive study books that give you all the info you need and nothing else.

I suggest studying one subject each week for now. When you get closer to the date of the MCAT turn your focus to doing practice problems. DO NOT sacrifice the time that you use to do practice problems to study the books. MCAT problems require very little memorization of random facts. Most of the info that you need to answer a question will be in the passage. To do well on the MCAT, you will need the ability to interpret data and apply them to new situations. You will also need to adjust to the idiosyncracies of the test writers. In order to accomplish this, you will need to do practice problems...LOTS of them. Many of the people that score well do many practice problems. Many of the people that don't do well spend too much time memorizing facts. Study for comprehension; do not try to memorize all the stuff you come across.

Specifically for verbal, I recommend the Columbia Review books. They are harder than the actual MCAT passages and questions, but will prepare you well. You should also try to get your hands on as many MCAT verbal passages as you can and do them as well. The AAMC Practice Test III and IV verbal problems are the best and you should save them until about three weeks before the day of the test.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
SCRU,
Thank you very much for your advice. Perhaps it would serve me betterto do more practice problems, as you have suggested. That should be the best way to build problem-solving skills.

------------------
-Tanya
Class of '05 at ????
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise" -Maya Angelou "Still I Rise"

Hey, all:

I took the MCAT in April 1999, and got a 35R (11V, 12P, 12B).

Like all of you, I started studying for the MCAT in Nov. the year before...

I did use Kaplan, which cost around $1200---a small amount compared to what I'm going to start dropping next year...

How did -I- study? Followed the Kaplan plan: 1 class night a week (for 3-4 hours) where we reviewed **strategies** for approaching each of the problems (not too worried about individual questions). This is the one true benefit to 'purchasing' a test prep course: they *know* what is going to be on the test----it's their livelihood.

I was in no way surprised at all when I sat for the test. We took five full-length (full day) practice exams before April 17 ('99), in the actual room where we were going to sit for the real deal----a definite stress reducer.

{You can guess that these test prep companies send in their own 'ringers' to sit for the exam, then report back...}

Do not go back and restudy all of your bio, chem, physics, etc. There's just too much information, and much of it -won't- be on the test.

I will say one more thing: taking the course helps you to learn how to pace yourself and to take the test -quickly-, 'cause -that's- what you're going to need to do. You will -not- have time to figure out problems; you pretty much have to have it down before you show up.

Gotta go now; I'll be back.

Tanya,
I think the Gold Standard was harder that the actual exam. I scored 6-8 on Gold Standard's exams, yet scored 9,9,8.

I agree that the most helpful were the exams from AAMC. they are the most expensive practice tests, but well worth it. By far the most like the actual exam.

I bought 4 different practice exam books at Borders.
Gold STandard : A
Columbia review for Verbal : A
Petersons: C
Barrons: C

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and it sounds great! I'd like to join this discussion/study group if it's all right. I'm studying for the April 2000 MCAT too and I've been out of school for a couple years so I need lots of help!

Yer
St. Paul, MN

[This message has been edited by ntxawmx (edited 12-06-1999).]

Hello,

I'd just like to mention that I wrote my MCAT in August 98. I've compiled a list of my observations, and some of the strategies I used while taking the actual test. My website can be found at:

www.geocities.com/mdpremie

You can access these tips by clicking on the MCAT link inside the web-site. In addition, in the Links section, under "Specific Aspects of the Application", there's a link to a Geocities website that has many practice MCAT questions.

In a nutshell, to succeed on the MCAT:

1) Start studying 3-4 months in advance.

2) Study to *understand* and not to memorise. Test your understanding by explaining a concept to a "skeptical" friend using the appropriate scientific terminology (much harder than it sounds).

3) Practice as many practice exams under the actual exam conditions; each practice exam will take a full day to write, and probably nearly a day to correct, and to figure out all the answers you got wrong. Five should be the minimum number of exams you write, and ten is better still. Writing practice exams is absolutely CRUCIAL to scoring highly on the MCAT.

Good luck!

Ian, MS1

hi everyone,
i like to creat a discusson group for the mcat of 2000. anyone of you who is taking the mcat in april 2000, we can form a problem-solving group so we can discuss mcat problems over the internet.
sounds good?
unfortunately, there's no "picture screen" when it comes to orgo mechanism or bio charts. any suggestion?

How did you do?

I love how I was 9 years old whenever this thread started. I wanted to be racecar driver at that time. :laugh:

We should keep this thread archived: a testament to the fact that YES THE INTERNET EXISTED BEFORE THE YEAR 2000.

I love how I was 9 years old whenever this thread started. I wanted to be racecar driver at that time. :laugh:
Nice! :D

I wanted to be a Jedi when this thread was made, twas' the year Episode I came out. Times were good...

We should keep this thread archived: a testament to the fact that YES THE INTERNET EXISTED BEFORE THE YEAR 2000.

guidos-guidettes-the-situation.gif

There's a link to a geocities website. :rofl:

Haha yeahhh, I was up late last night and I just wanted to see what would happen if I bumped the oldest, most random thread I could find. Haha I was 7 when this thread started...

Paul's Boutique has a textual penis in his member status portion below his screen name. I guess they also had a sense of humor back then to.

Status
Not open for further replies.