MCAT in Freshman Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kshnnnnnnnn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, im starting my freshman year in this september as a premed, and i was wondering if i should study for and take the mcat in my freshman year or not.

in high school, i did:

Grade 11:

ap biology- 5
ap chemistry- 5
ap physics 1- 5
chemistry contest within my country (not chemistry olympiad)- top 1 percent in country
ibo (international biology olympiad)- silver medalist

Grade 12:

ap psychology- 5
ap calculus bc- 5
ap physics 2- 5
icho (international chemistry olympiad)- silver medalist as well, studied more than needed in terms of the syllabus in organic chemistry, biochemistry

basically, because of the olympiads, i think that i have a strong background in bio and chem, so i am pretty confident about taking these two subjects in university. also, i feel veerrrry confident as well in physics and calculus. i was thinking maybe that bio and chem in the mcat i just really need to review or study more than needed (the content), and that the olympiads may help alot in solving for example hard questions or questions requiring critical thinking. in addition, the psychology and physics on the mcat (especially physics, i am very confident at it), i got a head start from the aps.

so my question is, because the olympiads and aps (especially bio and chem olympiads) will be relatively easier to study in university, meaning i have quite a bit of spare time, should i start studying for the mcat and take the test in freshman year to go to med school early and become a doctor quickly, or absolutely make sure i have 100s or high 90s on every course and work my butt off, taking the mcat in 2nd year? idk how hard the courses at university is, compared to the content in olympiads; is there ALOT of things i need to learn, or will it be easy for me? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell if you're trolling...

MCAT has a 3 year expiration date.

AP classes are not equivalent to college courses. You cannot and should not attempt to use AP Credit to fulfill med school prereqs.

If I were you, I'd go to the AAMC website and look at their info on med school admissions and MCAT requirements.

If you want to do well, do your best to get a 4.0 in all of your courses in college, and work hard to get a mastery in your prereq courses. Once you've completed the prerequisite courses, you can take your MCAT. Don't try to rush this.

Reactions: 1 users
You can study for the MCAT freshman year, but it makes no sense to take the MCAT before the end of your junior year. It's like buying milk for a recipe that you don't need for two months.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, im starting my freshman year in this september as a premed, and i was wondering if i should study for and take the mcat in my freshman year or not.

in high school, i did:

Grade 11:

ap biology- 5
ap chemistry- 5
ap physics 1- 5
chemistry contest within my country (not chemistry olympiad)- top 1 percent in country
ibo (international biology olympiad)- silver medalist

Grade 12:

ap psychology- 5
ap calculus bc- 5
ap physics 2- 5
icho (international chemistry olympiad)- silver medalist as well, studied more than needed in terms of the syllabus in organic chemistry, biochemistry

basically, because of the olympiads, i think that i have a strong background in bio and chem, so i am pretty confident about taking these two subjects in university. also, i feel veerrrry confident as well in physics and calculus. i was thinking maybe that bio and chem in the mcat i just really need to review or study more than needed (the content), and that the olympiads may help alot in solving for example hard questions or questions requiring critical thinking. in addition, the psychology and physics on the mcat (especially physics, i am very confident at it), i got a head start from the aps.

so my question is, because the olympiads and aps (especially bio and chem olympiads) will be relatively easier to study in university, meaning i have quite a bit of spare time, should i start studying for the mcat and take the test in freshman year to go to med school early and become a doctor quickly, or absolutely make sure i have 100s or high 90s on every course and work my butt off, taking the mcat in 2nd year? idk how hard the courses at university is, compared to the content in olympiads; is there ALOT of things i need to learn, or will it be easy for me? Thanks!

While your initiative is to be admired, please listen to the other responses here and do a bit more foundational academics before considering MCAT.

Thanks guys! I didn't know about the expiration date; i was actually thinking about this to become a doctor quickly as the time required is long lololol thank you!

Thanks guys! I didn't know about the expiration date; i was actually thinking about this to become a doctor quickly as the time required is long lololol thank you!

It's not bad to plan ahead, you just need to think of medicine as an endurance race not a sprint. Strong and steady wins the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.