MCAT in June or July?? Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dan123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before everyone says the obvious and tells me to take it in June, let me explain.
I will be finishing my last semester of pre reqs up next semester and the closest date to take the MCAT is June 16. That would give me about 2 weeks to do any last minute studying for it. Even though I am slowly starting to study for it now, I don't think those two weeks will be enough, even if I study everyday for 8 hours straight during those two weeks, which was my plan. I am scared of getting burned out for the actual test. Anyone been in a similar situation?
so should I postpone the test for a month later to get another entire month to study? I know this will hurt my chances based on rolling admission, but I am almost positive that extra time will help me probably increase a couple points on the test maybe. Is it worth it? Thanks in advance if I dont reply back

Members don't see this ad.

I would postpone 1 month and study extra hard instead of taking it early. 2 weeks of intense focused MCAT study is not enough. You want to make sure to get a high score. But most importantly you want to make sure that you take the test only once (although there are many applicants who take it 2 or 3 times but it's really best to take it once). So study intensely and achieve a great score. Good luck and your extra 1 month of studying will definitely help you in my view :thumbup:

I actually had the same debate with myself last year, but ended up opting for the first July date. While I was disturbed that my application would be later, I knew I'd perform better given more time and that's exactly what happened. The few extra weeks does not seem to have harmed my application cycle at all (it probably helped in fact) it only pushed my time line a bit farther out ie. waiting longer for invites, no decisions by 10/15. All in all, I have no regrets. Good luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's never good to rush taking the MCAT! Take the extra month and study as much as possible and take lots of practice tests. You want to be as prepared as you can be. I had to take it twice because I rushed it the first time, and I don't recommend it. Good luck!

Don't take it till you are ready. 2 weeks is not enough. Have you done some preliminary prep while taking classes? Even still, the risk of being a 'late' applicant (and mid August isn't that late), you are better off getting a stronger MCAT score by studying longer. July.

+1 vote for July, and only if you're scoring consistently in a comfortable range on AAMC practice tests.

The ruling seems to lean greatly towards waiting until July, so that is what I will do. Kind of had a feeling I should, just wanted to get that extra reassurance. Thanks everyone.

Good luck again my friend :)