Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

MCAT in two weeks...need a score increase...HELP!

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by secret25, May 28, 2008.

1. secret25

Pre-Medical
    Hey, I need some advice on how best to prepare at this point. My MCAT is in about two weeks (June 13th) and I'm preparing with Princeton Review tests right now. I've taken the MCAT once already and I got a 31R (10-11-10) but I decided to take it again to see if I can do better. At this point, with PR tests I'm making right around the score I made last time which is pretty scary because there's no reason to take it again if there's even a chance I'm going to do lower. Any tips on how to improve my score when it's around 10-10-10. I'm going over practice tests and reviewing the material I'm not so good on, and basically taking a practice test every other day. What else can I do? Also, are PR tests right on usually or slightly lower than the real thing or slightly higher? I've looked around, but I can't seem to find a consensus. Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    You should try to improve your post test analysis to nail down your weaknesses. However, it sounds like you have leveled off in terms of MCAT score which is tough to break without more time. Honestly, I don't think you should be retaking the MCAT at all. I think it is a very bad call in your case and a complete waste of time. Your score is competitive for Texas schools. Plus, you run a very high risk of not improving on your retake given your recent practice scores. I think you'd be a strong canditate with your present score (and all the other stuff on your app), but retaking and not doing much better (at least +3) WILL look bad.

4. iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    I've been scoring in the low-30s in the TPR tests and in the high 30s for kaplan and aamc. Take an aamc to see where you are. I think TPR tests arent that accurate (at least i hope :p)

5. secret25

Pre-Medical
    I'd like to apply to more than Texas schools which is the only reason I'm retaking. I've been in Texas for quite a while and based on location alone, I'd like to leave for Medical school. I'm only going to retake and not void my test if my practice tests right before are pretty high and I feel good after my actual MCAT. Hopefully I'm not kicking myself in a month for doing so, but I've heard of too many people not getting in to justify not doing it.

The problem is with the AAMCs is that I've done all the tests one time already, but it was last April. That being said, I retook one of the tests today (AAMC 9) and although I recognized a few of the passages, I didn't remember any of the answers. I realize that somewhere in the back of my mind I might have remembered the questions, but I ended up with a 11-12-12 on it, so that gave me a little hope, but I'm going to go back to TPR for a while until the last test until test date and do AAMC 10 then. Anyone else have any experience with retaking AAMCs for an MCAT retake? I'm hoping that with 10 hours of studying every day for the next two weeks, doing 6 or 7 practice tests, I can up my possible score a bit, and not hate myself come July :(

Thanks for the help!

6. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    What schools are you looking at? A 31R is still competitive at quite a few schools. Though it would be tough to get into the top schools and most of the schools in Cali. As you said, there are far too many people that go down. Also, practice tests lose some of their predictive power when you've already taken them. Here's some stats from the AAMC:

VR initially an 11: 34% no improvement, 50% did worse = 84%

BS initially a 10: 33% no improvement, 32% went down = 65

PS initially a 10: 26% no improvement, 48% did worse = 74

WS initially an R: 28% no improvement, 60% did worse = 88

7. secret25

Pre-Medical
    Ideally I would like to apply to some of the top, more competitive schools but I don't think my score is high enough right now to be at all competitive there. But I don't want my score to go down either so I'm pretty lost right now as is probably pretty obvious. I figure I should study as much as possible and see how I'm doing with TPR tests because I don't want to go into the test if my TPRs aren't at least around a 34 or so but the problem is getting those scores up there consistently. I'm doing something wrong but I just can't figure out what!

8. Markymark2004

Pre-Medical
    First of all, I don't think TPR are very accurate. I realized this after I took the Kaplan Physical and Biological Science sections, got 14's on both, and then got a 9 on the TPR physical science. But low and behold, the beginning of the TPR test packet said I should take scores of 9 and below as a reason to take their class (and pay them a few thousand $$). So, what I would recommend is using either ExamKrackers to review each section if you can get a hold of the books (they are awesome and give a good broad understanding), or if not that the Kaplan Comprehensive Review. Cram like you've never crammed before, and then go through a second time looking at sections you were unsure of. For me, for example, I needed to improve on circuit laws and optics in the PS section. Doing this type of studying about 7-8 hours a day for two weeks took my AAMC CBT Practice test score from a 33 max (PS: 12 VR: 10 BS: 11) before the cramming to a 38 (PS: 13 VR:11 BS:14) afterwards. Good luck! Work hard and it definitely pays off!