MCAT Jan 28th or March 26th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darkskies

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in a dilemma because I registered late for the January 28th MCAT(would have preferred 29th) and all of the centers near me were full by then. So I ended up registering for the exam in another state at a location that will require a 6 hour drive and a hotel booking. I have 4 chapters left for the BR General Chemistry and Physics books and 2 chapters for the BR Organic Chemistry book. If all goes according to plan I should be done with these chapters leaving the last third of passages by the 26th or 27th of this month. I have been studying Biology via the Kaplan content review book and will probably do some major biology review for the remainder of December. I then plan on taking AAMC practice tests, reviewing them, and finishing the last third of BR passage questions for all of the chapters day by day. I figure I will need to be prepared by the 25th or 26th with some last minute reviewing at the hotel on the 27th of January. I took one Kaplan practice exam a while back before having reviewed as much as I have now and scored a 31.

Does this sound like a feasible plan to you guys(meaning whether I have enough time to be fully prepared for the test) or should I just switch it to March 26th so I can have a spot at the local prometric center? I am also worrying if having to travel for 5 hours and staying at a hotel would just be added stress.

I am really seeking advice. All replies will be VERY much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can always reschedule to Jan. 29th.
Spots tend to open up a month before the exam. You just have check at the right time.
It's $50 to reschedule, which is less than the hotel cost (kinda).
But I think you'll be solid if you go according to plan. I'm in the same kinda situation...

Personally, I wouldn't move it back to March. If you're studying hardcore now, delaying an extra two months will mean you have to continue studying that whole time, and you can either burn out or forget a lot. If you scored a 31 before a lot of review, you shouldn't be too worried about bombing, so stick to the date (and try 1/29 like apc said). Get to the hotel early, relax, review some key areas, and get to bed super early. I'd suggest two pills of benedryl to take the edge off and ensure you fall asleep quickly in the hotel - that's what I did before my MCAT since there was no way I was waking up at 6am with 8 hours of sleep.

Thanks for the replies guys! Unfortunately there are no spots for January 29th available anywhere near me. I will definitely try to check every couple of days to see if any seats open up. Good luck to everyone else as well!