Mcat Kaplan Audition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etudiante04

phenomenal
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may be tutoring, or teaching for Kaplan, but first I need to audition. I know this topic has been discussed repeatedly, but the search function does not seem to help. What are some good topics for audition? Did anyone use props? How many people show up for the audition session?

Also, how did the teacher training differ from the tutor training?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

etudiante04 said:
I may be tutoring, or teaching for Kaplan, but first I need to audition. I know this topic has been discussed repeatedly, but the search function does not seem to help. What are some good topics for audition? Did anyone use props? How many people show up for the audition session?

Also, how did the teacher training differ from the tutor training?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

This is my first post in the longest time, but i think i'm finally over my six interviews with six waitlists no acceptances depression from last cycle.

The audition is easy its just like a two minute presentation, I was the only one at the audition, and the guy who observed me was an SAT Kaplan teacher...as long as you can talk in front of ppl you're okay.

Next you go to training, which is five weeks (five 4hr sessions) long. In each of these sesssions, you spend time going over the kaplan method and also you teach a sample lesson to the rest of the class which is run by an experienced kaplan MCAT instructor. Then he critiques you and writes an evaluation for each of your teaching lessons. At the end of the fourth sessions, before the fifth one, ppl are told whether they made it or not, meaning if they are not deemed worthy to be a kaplan teacher they are asked not to come to the fifth meeting. My class was about eight students, I dunno if ppl were cut or not. Anyway, thats the training. Then its up to you whether u want to teach or tutor. Best of luck

LUBDUBB said:
This is my first post in the longest time, but i think i'm finally over my six interviews with six waitlists no acceptances depression from last cycle.

The audition is easy its just like a two minute presentation, I was the only one at the audition, and the guy who observed me was an SAT Kaplan teacher...as long as you can talk in front of ppl you're okay.

Next you go to training, which is five weeks (five 4hr sessions) long. In each of these sesssions, you spend time going over the kaplan method and also you teach a sample lesson to the rest of the class which is run by an experienced kaplan MCAT instructor. Then he critiques you and writes an evaluation for each of your teaching lessons. At the end of the fourth sessions, before the fifth one, ppl are told whether they made it or not, meaning if they are not deemed worthy to be a kaplan teacher they are asked not to come to the fifth meeting. My class was about eight students, I dunno if ppl were cut or not. Anyway, thats the training. Then its up to you whether u want to teach or tutor. Best of luck

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
LUBDUBB said:

How did you like your teaching experience? Would you recommend teaching for Kaplan? I like to teach, and I have tutored in chemistry as an undergraduate, but I don't know if my undergraduate tutoring and TA experiences are comparable to working for Kaplan. Any ideas?

I'm sorry to hear about your last cycle. Are you applying again this cycle? If so, I hope it goes well.

I did "How Variations in the Basic Brewing Process result in Different Styles of Finished Beer" (i.e. porter/stout/IPA/lager/ale)

Apparently they liked it, because I just completed training and will be starting O-chem & Bio lessons this Oct.

no prob. g'luck on your audition!