Mcat: Low Cars Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

based on this info, should I retake retake?

• yes, you most likely won't get in anywhere

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • no, you have a pretty good chance at getting in

Votes: 25 96.2%
  • not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

krafty74

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mcat score:

Overall score: 512 (88th percentile)

Physical Sciences 131 (99th percentile)
CARS 124 (49th percentile)
Biological 130 (97th percentile)
Pscyh/soc 127 (78th percentile)
(I have a 3.96 GPA overall, about 12 experiences (For amcas) total including research, volunteering, shadowing, clubs, hobbies, etc )

I got a 124 in CARS which isn't so hot. However it was moved up from the 44th percentile to the 49th percentile making it closer to an 8 on the old mcat (about 2-3 percentage pts off, based on data on the aamc from the old mcat). Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't think I should retake the exam, especially this close to the beginning of application cycle. But, if this score will get my application thrown out at every school, I'd rather retake it. let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on your school list.
MSAR has the school's matriculant medians. The general rule of thumb is that you'd want all categories to be above their median.. unless you have other factors to help.

Personally I got a low VR score the first time around and my counselor told me to retake. I improved 2 points the second time around but seeing the progress of my cycle, I'd say it was necessary/ would have helped if I got even better.

And seeing that you worked pretty hard in undergrad, I'd personally retake if you're confident in scoring better (i.e. this score was just a fluke). You don't want to have regrets at the end of the cycle and be like "oh man, I wish I had retaken, this was the only thing holding me back.."

It's probably around the bottom 10th percentile for most schools. With the remainder of your stats, you look fine assuming you have good ECs. There was a recent thread with people who've gotten in with low CARS score on SDN. It obviously doesn't apply for a majority of applicants though.

What's your state school? Are you okay with getting into a mid tier school? I personally would apply this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably around the bottom 10th percentile for most schools. With the remainder of your stats, you look fine assuming you have good ECs. There was a recent thread with people who've gotten in with low CARS score on SDN. It obviously doesn't apply for a majority of applicants though.

What's your state school? Are you okay with getting into a mid tier school? I personally would apply this cycle.

yeah, I'm in the state of florida, so alot of schools to pick from (I think around 7). My main concern is just getting in, I don't really care where in florida (only allopathics).

Well in that case, you should be fine, I would not retake. If you're not aiming for like top 20s then it's a good enough score to go with your GPA and ECs. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
yeah, I'm in the state of florida, so alot of schools to pick from (I think around 7). My main concern is just getting in, I don't really care where in florida (only allopathics).

No you will be fine. With the new test a lot of schools are looking at the total score because there is no data from the CARS section as compared to the old VR section. Apply and prosper my friend

Reactions: 1 user
Well in that case, you should be fine, I would not retake. If you're not aiming for like top 20s then it's a good enough score to go with your GPA and ECs. Best of luck!

Thanks for the help!

No you will be fine. With the new test a lot of schools are looking at the total score because there is no data from the CARS section as compared to the old VR section. Apply and prosper my friend

Good point. Thank you for letting me know.

My mcat score:

Overall score: 512 (88th percentile)

Physical Sciences 131 (99th percentile)
CARS 124 (49th percentile)
Biological 130 (97th percentile)
Pscyh/soc 127 (78th percentile)
(I have a 3.96 GPA overall, about 12 experiences (For amcas) total including research, volunteering, shadowing, clubs, hobbies, etc )

I got a 124 in CARS which isn't so hot. However it was moved up from the 44th percentile to the 49th percentile making it closer to an 8 on the old mcat (about 2-3 percentage pts off, based on data on the aamc from the old mcat). Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't think I should retake the exam, especially this close to the beginning of application cycle. But, if this score will get my application thrown out at every school, I'd rather retake it. let me know.