mcat marked on a curve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard this a few times; is it true?

I'm more interesting in finding this out now because i'm deciding whether or not i should take the CBT this august. If it ends up being "harder" than the paper-and-pencil, will the average of the mcat scores themselves (the scores of everyone who has taken both the paper and the CBT) still be the same?

Someone enlighten me.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Avicenna04 said:
I heard this a few times; is it true?

I'm more interesting in finding this out now because i'm deciding whether or not i should take the CBT this august. If it ends up being "harder" than the paper-and-pencil, will the average of the mcat scores themselves (the scores of everyone who has taken both the paper and the CBT) still be the same?

Someone enlighten me.

Cheers.

Yes, it's scored on a curve so that the median score is an 8 for each section. Because this is an arbitrary system applied to raw scores, despite the difficulty of the exam itself, the scaled scores will remain the same. I assume this will stay the same for the CBT as well.

Yes, graded on a curve, but no, CBT won't be significantly easier or harder than pen and pencil. Just study hard and realize that there's nothing on there that you can't know by test time.

mj1878 said:
Yes, graded on a curve, but no, CBT won't be significantly easier or harder than pen and pencil. Just study hard and realize that there's nothing on there that you can't know by test time.

Is it that the whole test is marked on a curve (i,e, a 50/77 will be a 10) or is it passage based?

From what I've heard, not only it's marked on a curve, they also throw away "experimental" questions, and also analyze every single question and see how people who got high scores did on that question, and give it more or less weight. Then they add all the weighted questions out and only then they do the curve.