MCAT Materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chelseamapp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so this may seem a bit redundant but I need advice on MCAT materials to purchase. As of right now, I plan on buying the Kaplan book set for content review, Kaplan practice tests, Next step practice tests, EK practice tests, and AAMC practice tests and questions. Does this seem like an okay list?
Should I also buy EK books for content review? I also plan in using Khan to brush up on contents for psych.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, yes that's a great list you have! I retook my exam this past september and got a much better score than the first time because I did over 10 FL exams than just focusing on the content. You can know the content in and out but if you're not comfortable and accustomed to take this 7 hour long exam then you're chances of doing well aren't great. From my experience you should spend no more than a month going over content then after that just take as many FL exams as you can and MAKE SURE to go over the practice exams THOROUGHLY! That is the only way you'll see drastic improvement. Also take the free diagnostic tests they have out there so you know where you stand before studying. You can also purchase the exams for cheap too! If you have any questions feel free to PM me :)

You are good to go with the materials. Like the person above said, review practice tests carefully. It doesn't really matter which book you use for content review in my opinion.

It doesn't really matter which book you use for content review in my opinion.
1jY6yOa

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above comments, IMO the most important thing is to do plenty of practice exams. I pretty much used exactly what you listed for my prep.

I did all of the Kaplan exams, TPR, exam krackers, ended up taking maybe 14 full lengths? Kaplan exams were way too hard but were good at identifying holes in content knowledge. In general, I would say don't pay attention to the raw scores you get on any of the practice exams and put more stock into your scores improving from test to test. I saved the AAMC material for last and (as you would hope) that ended up being the most realistic test prep in terms of translating to the actual MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
@nolookpass - I am buying the AAMC Official Guide, Q-packs, FLs; then have 3 FLs from Princeton because I bought their Psy/Soc book; and then probably if that is not enough, will look into EK.

As an aside, I demanded a refund from Kaplan (though I spent $3,000 from them already) for the advanced class so will lose all their FLs. But having read a lot on here and reddit, I think I will be fine with the above. There's always more practice FLs to purchase if one wants them.

Reactions: 1 user
@nolookpass - I am buying the AAMC Official Guide, Q-packs, FLs; then have 3 FLs from Princeton because I bought their Psy/Soc book; and then probably if that is not enough, will look into EK.

As an aside, I demanded a refund from Kaplan (though I spent $3,000 from them already) for the advanced class so will lose all their FLs. But having read a lot on here and reddit, I think I will be fine with the above. There's always more practice FLs to purchase if one wants them.

Yea you're better off getting your money back tbh. You should look into buying the 5 next step FL exams they're just like the actual exam! I'm also selling my EK FL exams 1-4 for $100 on their website it's $200. Just take as many FL and you'll be fine. PM if you have any other questions. Good luck!

yeah - I am :mad: w/Kaplan. Was thrilled at first and wish I could have taken the exam on 9/12 and been done with this but as is ... oh well :)