MCAT: Microbiology or Human Genetics and Society

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss155

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

For the MCAT, do you think it is better to take microbiology or human genetics and society. Human Genetics is about genetic diseases. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Microbiology, although both courses sound interesting and helpful. :rolleyes:

without a doubt, microbiology. waaaaay more relevant material.

Miss155 said:
Hi

For the MCAT, do you think it is better to take microbiology or human genetics and society. Human Genetics is about genetic diseases. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the microbiology class, because microbiology is awesome (I got my B.S. in micro).

Hi

Thanks for the advice.

Honestly, you really don't need anything beyond intro bio on the MCAT. I found the biology questions to be pretty easy overall. I suppose that microbio might reinforce some of the material, but don't go into the test expecting a lot of depth on the subject. As long as you understand basic concepts in biology, you can get through most of the stuff through reasoning. So if you're looking to take one of these classes specifically to prepare for the MCAT, it probably isn't worth your time. Take the one that's more interesting for you, and you'll be happier in the end.

umass rower said:
Honestly, you really don't need anything beyond intro bio on the MCAT. I found the biology questions to be pretty easy overall. I suppose that microbio might reinforce some of the material, but don't go into the test expecting a lot of depth on the subject. As long as you understand basic concepts in biology, you can get through most of the stuff through reasoning. So if you're looking to take one of these classes specifically to prepare for the MCAT, it probably isn't worth your time. Take the one that's more interesting for you, and you'll be happier in the end.
You don't need advanced bio, but any course that makes you study the set up, design, and implementation of experiments, along with interpretation of data, will be very beneficial to the MCAT. I seem to feel that the PS and BS sections were both very heavily geared towards your being able to read a scientific journal and evaluate it critically, only using your knowledge base implicitly to understand those experimantal descriptions etc. Microbio seems more likely to talk about experimental methods than any course with "and society" in the title is.